Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POTATO BLIGHT WARNING MUNSTER

Options
  • 04-05-2011 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

POTATO BLIGHT WARNING Issued by Met Eireann at 15:00 on 2-May-2011
    Conditions favourable to the spread of potato blight will develop over south Munster on Thursday 5th and continue for a few days, more details soon @ irishkitchen.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Planted a dozen or so potatoes in a small area and some of them are already a foot overground. What can I do for blight. for such a small area :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Risk of blight has receded with advent of cold weather.
    Earthing up if not already done is a good idea and reduce risk of frost which is likely in the next few weeks.

shawnee wrote: »
    Planted a dozen or so potatoes in a small area and some of them are already a foot overground. What can I do for blight. for such a small area :confused:

Make up a batch of Burgandy mix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I better get the shovel out so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Make up a batch of Burgandy mix

Do you mean Bordeaux mix or are your spuds really pampered? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

It does exist and as both names imply were used by French vineyards to protect vines from fungus. Bordeaux mixture is probably more well known. Interesting to note.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Do you mean Bordeaux mix or are your spuds really pampered? :)

FF spuds :p Stella Artois in the beer traps and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    FF spuds :p Stella Artois in the beer traps and all

Good choice of beer, better use than drinking it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It does exist and as both names imply were used by French vineyards to protect vines from fungus. Bordeaux mixture is probably more well known. Interesting to note.

I've never heard it called that, sounds more like a pack of bedding plants. It just proves you can still learn something, even an old coot like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Is there any point in spraying for blight with the forecast of rain. Should I spray anyway & spray again tomorrow ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

EASYNEWS wrote: »
    Is there any point in spraying for blight with the forecast of rain. Should I spray anyway & spray again tomorrow ?

Nope, most of these treatments work as contact sprays so they need to dry on the plant. Your just wasting your time and money spraying before rain.

Blight works it way down from the leaves into the stem and so into the tubers so what many farmers do is when the crop reaches maturity they will burn the tops off using acid or chop the tops down to ground level so that way the blight doesn't have a point of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Thanks for the info. I'll spray tomorrow as the forecast is better.

Advertisement