Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house - Cheap furniture??

Options
  • 04-05-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi Guys, My cousin is moving into a new house in Melbourne this weekend and the house is just a shell so he needs to buy everything, Does anyone know anywhere he could get cheap/secondhand furniture in Melb (he doesn't want to shell out thousands for furniture he'll only be using for a year or so)

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

gumtree / ebay / Vinnies

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Salvo's, Brotherhood of St. Lawrence for second hand but wouldn't use them for sofa's etc........bedbug threat. Ikea for that.
    Swan Street Auctions are pretty good and nearby south of Swan on Church St, Richmond there's an ex display furniture store
    Big W for household, bedlinen or there is a seconds spot on Smith St. in Collingwood for appliances. DFO might be worth a look and there's usually a Good Guys in the retail park and they are fantastic for electrical e.g throw in a free tv with a fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What is the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Fantastic Furniture - Richmond (or wherever else they are)

Big W - QV Centre, Swanston St, CBD for small electrical appliances, bed linen etc.
    Good Guys for white goods

DFO is full of overpriced crap, it is the opposite to what a proper direct factory outlet is supposed to be.

For better advice give us a wee bit more, as in what are his circumstances for examle their is no piont filling a house with vinnie furniture if he intends to live there for good. He will end up with a load of crap he has to get rid of later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

He's there on a 1 year WHV and has been there since January, so could be coming home in 6 or 7 months, the house is in Frankston, He has a car though so can go a bit further if needs be,

Thanks for the advice so far

I am sorry I missed this, seriously Frankganistan of all the places in Melbourne he moved there.

Anyway that aside

Yeah Vinnies or any OP shop should sort him out. If he drives around he will find a bit on the nature strips the weather is against him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

i was in frankston last week, dodgy place, tell him to mind himself!

he can get free stuff on gumtree, lots of ppl give away furniture etc so he could be lucky and get a few nice bits

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ikea are expensive relative to some of the seriously cheap tat furniture stores. Ikea are great if you're decorating a place where you want to live for a few years, because you can get everything in one go, but you'll bankrupt yourself shopping there for odds and sods for six months.

Things to buy in Ikea: mattress, bedclothes, duvet and pillow, wardrobe rail to hang clothes on, cardboard storage boxes for socks etc., some kitchen stuff (pots, plates, cutlery, glasses).

The 'living' gear in Ikea is pricey relative to other places. You'll get a sofa, coffee table, TV stand and such like cheaper in some of the places like 'Victorian Furniture Warehouse' - anywhere that sells cheapass stained pine furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I reckon its hard to beat ebay, I have bought some seriously good stuff of ebay used for a while and even sold it for a profit.

Just remember not to lose you head when bidding, put a ceiling price on a item and stick to it. Having a mate with a UTE is also handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Thanks for all the replies, he's found this thread really helpful,, just about sorted now got stuff from a good few places mentioned about,

Advertisement