Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

munster broadband

• 04-05-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,572 ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting this folks. Im a current owner of 3mb Eircom which is grand but im hoping I can get faster broadband and it seems Munster broadband is the way to go. Im unsure what they are like so any help would be very much welcomed

http://www.munsterbroadband.ie/packages

Would their munster home be better than eircoms 3mb? Im also thinking of getting their business version

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Very good broadband provider , they are peered with most in the matrix with the exception of upc who dont seem to want to peer with the little companies see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69189588

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,572 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thanks shammy

I think I spotted the Transmitter near me but im unsure about it, would it be a huge mast or just somthing that can be put on the side of a house (like tv aerial)

Also im mile away from the transmitter, is that good or bad. The only thing that might be against me is trees

There has to be a direct line of site as far as i can remember. If the techs come out to install it and there is no line of site obviously there will be no charge.

Is there a download cap on your package?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've heard good things about Munster Broadband actually. And in fairness, its not really that expensive as far as fixed wireless goes.

As a matter of interest, OP, where abouts are you living?

roast wrote: »
    I've heard good things about Munster Broadband actually. And in fairness, its not really that expensive as far as fixed wireless goes.

As a matter of interest, OP, where abouts are you living?
    The business package is expensive imo

My location is Golden, co Tipperary

Headshot wrote: »
    The business package is expensive imo

My location is Golden, co Tipperary

Aye, pretty pricey, but for the technology, it could be worse.

Ugh, Golden... its a nightmare getting reliable broadband in some parts of Tipp. However, a chap I know from Golden does have Munster Broadband (Home package, I believe) and he seems to be fairly content with it as far as stability goes.

roast wrote: »
    Aye, pretty pricey, but for the technology, it could be worse.

Ugh, Golden... its a nightmare getting reliable broadband in some parts of Tipp. However, a chap I know from Golden does have Munster Broadband (Home package, I believe) and he seems to be fairly content with it as far as stability goes.

Broadband in the county of tipp is a nightmare, its very much stuck in the past, technology wise

Broadband in the county of tipp is a nightmare, its very much stuck in the past, technology wise

Couldn't agree with you more, mate.

Theres even some houses in North tipp (borrisoleigh) which are connected to the exchange in Golden. Needless to say, no broadband available there.

The home of Irelands Garda College doesn't have any broadband faster than 6mb....

Most houses on the N62 are unable to receive any DSL broadband.... and the ones that are, are only capable of 1.5mb (and yet, you would be lucky to get 700kb on those lines).

What an appalling situation!

• Advertisement

Just to update

they are coming Wednesday to do that site survey

God I hope I can get it because im ****ing tired of Eircom and the crap connection

im well able to get it

70-90% signal and that's just from the engineers hands

ping was 29 again from the engineers hands so I presume if I was to install it ill be getting it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

im well able to get it

70-90% signal and that's just from the engineers hands

ping was 29 again from the engineers hands so I presume if I was to install it ill be getting it better?
    I am with them 2 years + & in Lisnagry outside of Limerick City 3MB down 1MB up 90% of the time used to get a little slow around 6-8 in the evening but they have cured that. I won't be moving anywhere in a hurry after 2 years with ICE Broadband!icon8.gif

1308999163.png

Munster broadband is installed :)

The ping is very much up and down

1309002505.png

as you can see from above, its a bit inconsistent at the moment

40887145.png

The jitter is killing me

latest stats

1309057450.png

wft have i signed up too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 interpoint

Hi Headshot,

Just following up with you here too.

We will try to upgrade the links over the next 6-8 weeks if you wish to stay with MBB you are more than welcome. We will also look at linking Golden to our Doon site and this will shorten the hops back to our central gateway.

We always try to deliver the speed promised but the Internet is a variable entity and Golden is a difficult place to reach easily.

If you want a refund then just ping me a mail and we will sort it out. I know it can be very frustrating when there is latency when gaming.

Or if you like why not change down to the slower package, if you are not getting the speeds there is no point in paying the extra money for something you are not getting. It would not make any difference to your experience and would keep an extra few quid in your pocket.

I have attached a speed test from our system to your house (see attached) and all seems to be OK but as stated Golden is right at the end of our network and this will cause extra latency for time sensitive data such as gaming packets.

Best Regards

Munster Broadband Support

Thanks for the helpful emails so far Inter

You have brilliant customer care so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mastman

No problem, We are sorry that we cannot reduce the latency to help the gaming situation more.

Let me try a few things over the next few days and see if things improve a bit.

No obligation to stay.. Just say the word and a refund will appear in your account ;)

Regards

MBB Support

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eivvis

Hi,
    could Mastman tell what do I need look for if I want to get wireless in my house. What type router? I'm with Munster Broadband for two years:rolleyes: all happy
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Ok so i want to get MBB.
    The offer is Muster Lite (256K up, 1Mb down, 48:1) & Munster Home (1024Kup, 3Mb down, 24:1).
    I would like it use the internet for day to day browsing, but am unlikley to be downloading anything too large (movies etc).

Can someone explain the numbers above and what they full mean?
    Finally is there a download cap, if so can this be explained aswell.

Many thanks
    Nec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I had a look at their offerings, the 'lite' version costs 19.99 PM and comes with a 24 month contract and afaik a 1 GB per month cap. It's €35 PM and a 12 month contract for the larger package.
    I couldn't find any mention of a cap on that one.

Arra broadband serve some of the same areas and advertise a 'no cap' with their €35 PM package but the installation cost is €200 compared with €100 charge for Munster BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

I had a look at their offerings, the 'lite' version costs 19.99 PM and comes with a 24 month contract and afaik a 1 GB per month cap. It's €35 PM and a 12 month contract for the larger package.
    I couldn't find any mention of a cap on that one.

Arra broadband serve some of the same areas and advertise a 'no cap' with their €35 PM package but the installation cost is €200 compared with €100 charge for Munster BB.

I have them and so does everyone on my road(am in Lisnagry) we are all ex ice broadband customers and it was like going from dial up to what i have now they are excellent am on the €35 package no problems and they out the same day or the next morning if there is any issues (only had to call them out once in 2 years)

Sorry for the big bump but I think im on my last straw with eircom and even thou I had munster broadband and wasnt impressed but im hoping things have improved since i started the thread

Well have they upgraded their network?

Advertisement