Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Definitive" Irish Books To Read

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

This side of Brightness by Colum McCann
    The Lamp and the Lullaby by Bill Long
    In my Fathers House by Sean Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Given the year that's in it, have to give a mention to James Plunkett's 'Strumpet City'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Would recommend Alan McMonagle's Liar Liar and Psychotic Episodes- both are a collection of short stories, some funny, some sad and moving-all enjoyable and because they are based in Ireland, you can almost imagine yourself being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Dork of Cork by Chet Raymo.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

No one mentioned Colm Toibin, I would recommend any of his novels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pugwall wrote: »
    No one mentioned Colm Toibin, I would recommend any of his novels

I've read Brooklyn and The Blackwater Lightship, wasn't that impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I really struggled with Brooklyn. Very dull and with the most irritating narrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Claire Keegan? I really liked Walk the Blue Fields and Foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The Ginger Man by JP Donleavy is one of the few books to make me laugh out loud - a great read

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

I have to say that At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill is, in my opinion, a gorgeous book and is on my top 10 list. Certain passages of it still pop into my head randomly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Castle Rackrent by Maria Edgeworth.

I second that. I can't understand the sycophancy shown towards Colm Toibin in the Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd recommend The Last September by Elizabeth Bowen. It was written in 1929 and describes the life of an Anglo-Irish family in Cork during the War of Independence.

Bowen herself came from an Anglo-Irish background, and her life had similarities to the female protagonist, so it has an authentic feel to it.

Apparently there was a film version made in 1999 which featured among others Maggie Smith, Keeley Hawes and David Tennant, but I haven't seen that.

Lies of Silence by Brian Moore was a great read. I recently discovered it's on the Leaving Cert syllabus. If only they had that in my day. We had to put up with Silas feckin Marner.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Up The Bare Stairs

Lies of Silence by Brian Moore was a great read. I recently discovered it's on the Leaving Cert syllabus. If only they had that in my day. We had to put up with Silas feckin Marner.

+1. His debut novel, The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, is a good read also. One that springs to mind for me is William Trevor's Felicia's Journey.

I finally got started on this by reading Amongst Women by John McGahern. I can't say I was terribly impressed.

I finally got started on this by reading Amongst Women by John McGahern. I can't say I was terribly impressed.

The TV adaptation wasn't much better.

I can imagine. Hours of an old man ranting and raving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

God, it was so grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I was, but then tastes differ. I also loved That They May Face the Rising Sun but somebody else told me it was the most boring book they ever read because 'nothing happens'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

echo beach wrote: »
    I was, but then tastes differ. I also loved That They May Face the Rising Sun but somebody else told me it was the most boring book they ever read because 'nothing happens'.

I think people from rural Ireland will find McGahern's style and themes much more interesting than those from the more urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've lived in the city all my life and I really liked That they may face the rising sun. It's quite boring of course because not a lot happens but the prose is outstanding and the characters/themes etc are very believable. In saying that I was never terribly encouraqed to read more of McGaherns stuff after it, it's like doing an enjoyable penance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Just finished my first John Banville, Ancient Light. The writing- oh, just beautiful. Very good book, will be reading more of his.

The Secret Scripture was mentioned a few pages back, excellent book.

Another recent Irish novel I loved was The Gamal by Ciaran Collins. It really captured rural Ireland wonderfully, poignant and beautiful read.

ivytwine wrote: »
    Just finished my first John Banville, Ancient Light. The writing- oh, just beautiful. Very good book, will be reading more of his.

The Sea is well worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

The Sea is well worth reading.

Reading the sea at the moment and already thinking about reading it again...which I hardly ever do
    There is such a poignant quality to the book it makes you want to hug it!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

I was pleasantly surprised by John B Keane's short stories. I went into it expecting the sort of romanticised portrayal of rural Ireland that gets on my nerves, but I really enjoyed them. God that man had a dark sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

johnROSS wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised by John B Keane's short stories. I went into it expecting the sort of romanticised portrayal of rural Ireland that gets on my nerves, but I really enjoyed them. God that man had a dark sense of humour.

Oh definitely. Very evident in his plays too, especially Sharon's Grave and Sive.

Advertisement