Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashplan - anyone in Dublin wanna swap?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

So I'm looking at Crashplan as a way of backing up >1TB by having it back up to a "friend's" machine. Unfortunately you can't avail of their seeded backup facility (where you send them a hard drive with the initial backup - from then on the rest goes over the internets) outside the US.

Anyone have a good upload connection in Dublin (1Mb or more) with a 24/7 online machine, interested in hosting an external USB drive, and me doing the same for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

is this something you are still thinking of doing? How big a USB drive you want hosted? What kind of connection do you have? Im on 2 Cable modems, giving me 250Mb/s down, 20mb/s up, 24/7 connection, multiple machines in house... shout if your still interested... need about 600Gb or so backed up myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Probably better to pm the op. been a while since they posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 peterwhit

no need for PM, just a bit of patience!

In the end I went with buying 2 3TB external drives, using Crashplan as a purely local backup program, and swapping the disks offsite every week or so.

Our work internet connection (where I wanted to do this) is too weedy to handle it, particularly since we need a decent connection during the day anyway.

I've found crashplan only ok for backing up >1TB. It may be hardware issues though (sometimes it gets stuck verifying the data before backing up), or needing more ram (the 2003 server only has 2GB).

Of course maybe I shouldnt be using it at all given we're not using it for "cloud" backup, but the UI is good and anything is better than the horror of Symantec Backup Exec and tape drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

Yea, I am backing up to a Drobo in the house with about 3.75TB RAW space (2.75TB usable), have another 1TB on a RAID5 NAS, and have a few TB on a RAIDZ machine in Germany... most of my machines are backed up to each other, but they are still slow enough... I do also backup to the CrashPlan Cloud, but it gets ridiculously slow... less than 500KBytes/s... As an alternative to CrashPlan, have you looked at SymForm? (www.symform.com). They are a lot faster for uploads, since its not centralized...

Advertisement