Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading laptop graphics card

Options
  • 04-05-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm currently considering purchasing this laptop http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G570_1072020.html,

the only slight concern is the lack of a dedicated graphics card, I know that the Intel HD integrated graphics are equivalent to entry level dedicated cards but was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the graphic card manually? And if possible how difficult would it be?

I'm not even sure if space would be provided in the case for a dedicated option!

All help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade the graphics of a laptop. The only things you can usually upgrade are the ram and hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well now that's not entirely true. Often, CPUs in laptops can be upgraded. You'll probably find plenty on Amazon, eBay, Dabs, etc. Most low-end laptops will have soldered CPUs, but a good lot of the mid-range/high-end ones will use socketed chips.

Likewise with graphics cards. High-end gaming laptops will use MXM graphics cards, meaning that provided the laptop can supply the power, and remove the heat, graphics card should work. Usually though it's best to stick with GPUs that are available for that laptop. Dell and its upgrade options, for example.

Advertisement