Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Roselawn tonight - a disgrace!!

Options
  • 04-05-2011 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Stopped into Tesco in Roselawn tonight on my way home...around 10.30pm and it felt like I'd landed in Russia circa 1985...the shelves were mostly bare and the queue for the tills was about 40 people long!!

With not a manager in sight I briefly spoke to a passing shop worker who said they had no till trained staff on which is why only the self-service tills were open. She also said the lack of staff was the reason the shelves hadn't been stacked.

It's the only 24 hour store in the greater area, even Tesco in Finglas now closes at midnight...but they don't seem to care about the customers, it's not as if we have other options. I was in a good mood until I got there, came home stressed and grumpy. There were a lot of unhappy people in the queue.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They have to have cashiers available at all opening times. It's part of their conditions of being open 24/7. If they don't, call head office tomorrow, complain, and you'll get a nice gratuity to keep you quiet. They can't afford to have their 24/7 permit revoked if this made the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I think Clare Hall is 24 hours if that helps

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My friend was up there once on a Sunday morning doing her big shop for the week and they only had the self service tills on. Which are fine if you've only got a few bits but can you imagine trying to put a full weeks worth of shopping through.
    If they can't afford to have the staff on 24/7 they shouldn't open. I think that Tesco's is rubbish anyway compared to Tesco's elsewhere and especially when compared to the local Superquinn and Dunnes. The fruit and veg isn't great quality, there's no fish counter, they have something one week and then you never see it again. It's gone to hell lately, I don't know why so many people still shop in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

Not having staff on the tills is stupid for a place that stays open all night. Only things people ever buy after 1am are cigarettes, condoms and crisps. You can buy crisps on the self-serve checkouts, but you can't get smokes or condoms without someone to approve them. What a bunch of idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I agreee, its not a great Tesco's. Can be more expensive than other supermarkets, and fruit section is dire a lot of the time. Special offers aren't great. Anytime I've gone in late its been half stocked and only self service working. I don't really like it tbh, though do shop their occasionally because its local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I hate Tesco Roselawn. It's messy and badly stocked. The last time I used the self-service till there I had to wait for the guy working there to saunter over while talking on his mobile phone to give approval for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

TheoBoone wrote: »
    Not having staff on the tills is stupid for a place that stays open all night. Only things people ever buy after 1am are cigarettes, condoms and crisps. You can buy crisps on the self-serve checkouts, but you can't get smokes or condoms without someone to approve them. What a bunch of idiots!
    cannot get smokes or condoms without approval,,dont blame tesco ,its irish law,

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

getz wrote: »
    cannot get smokes or condoms without approval,,dont blame tesco ,its irish law,

Seriously? Its Tescos's fault they've no staff on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

LOOK - STOP COMPLAINING.

check out the deal they just announced.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/23556/157223.jpg

;)

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Seriously? Its Tescos's fault they've no staff on.
    the best way to answer is to tell you,that in the UK all the staff in tesco are till trained,when there is more than two in a queue ,managers and shop floor staff have to go on the check outs,my son is a tesco manager[bakery] in the UK.early last year he was asked to go to ireland,to train and show some irish managers how tesco work ,the biggest shock he had was the reluctance of the irish side of the management family to work hands on, it seems that in ireland all managers are expected to have suits on,a kind of thing that went out in the 70s over here ,you can imagine the dirty looks he got when he put on his whites to work with the lads in the bakery; but calling for tesco to lose its licience is daft,all that will do is put more people out of work,at the end of the day,a phone call or letter to the store manager will sort out the problem ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I wrote an email to customer service on my phone last night from the queue. Just tried calling the store today and the manager is on a day off!

athtrasna wrote: »
    I wrote an email to customer service on my phone last night from the queue. Just tried calling the store today and the manager is on a day off!
    quick email to head office, they are hoping you give up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Apparently the best way to complain is to use the website/email address (not sure which it is) that it on the top of the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I've always associated Tesco in Roselawn with empty shelves. I just thought it was their style.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    I've always associated Tesco in Roselawn with empty shelves. I just thought it was their style.

Shopping after the pub tends to be like that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that this Tesco's is absolutely abysmal.

My main complaints are:
    • A very poor selection of goods (try buying a pizza for one!).
    • Items that dissapear from the shelves for months at a time.
    • Food that is out-of-date 2 days later instead of the 7-10 days they should last.
    • Bare shelves.
    • Aisles blocked by pallets/crates & stock moving equipment (at night).
    • Unfriendly staff...can barely get a smile from most as they look like they just come from a funeral.
    • A lack of any real special offers. There's a sign up saying 1000 items reduced in price, but they don't even sell 1000 different items...and I can't see any prices differences.
    • Rarely ever any empty baskets are the front door....and they are tiny.
    • Trolleys are sometimes impossible to unlatch as they are packed so tightly inside the mettle barriers.
    And I wasn't even aware that they had any management. I've never seen them.

Oh, and whomever is in charge of Stock purchase/management should be publicly mocked and sacked. It's the main issue I think.
    (I'd forgive them if they started stocking Green Isle pizza slices again...yummy pepporoni...mmmmm)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Oh...and you can contact Customer Services here:
    http://www.tesco.ie/contactframe.htm?osadcampaign=TLContactUs

They do milano's pizza's. I noticed that before.

Aren't the baskets the same size in every store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

BostonB wrote: »
    Shopping after the pub tends to be like that. :D
    I miss the days when I'd go for an aimless wander around Tesco at 2 in the morning after a heavy session in the Rosie, most likely commenting on how empty the shelves are.

Everytime I've gone to Tesco for a few beers for a BBQ or house party, the drink section looks like a site of devastation. You go in hopeful you'll pick up some nice bargain on some decent beer and end up picking up 7 heineken because that's all thats ever left on the shelves.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Oh...and you can contact Customer Services here:
    http://www.tesco.ie/contactframe.htm?osadcampaign=TLContactUs

And you get a generic response form someone in the UK. I told them to come back to me with something other than a cut and paste answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Have to agree with the majority of remarks on this thread. Tesco Roselawn is a god-awful store. The management are the problem, the way the store is ran and has been ran for years is a joke. Anyone who is a local knows that the majority of staff have been there for years but they seem to get lazier and lazier every year and the blame can only be put on crap management.

- Empty shelves which has been pointed out by nearly everyone on this thread
    - The late night staffing is a joke for a 24 hr store, it should be closed at normal times because it is proved they can't run it properly. It helps to actually have tills open and ya know, some staff!
    - At this stage, I am actually surprised if there are baskets at the door when I go in. The vast majority of times you are left wandering around trying to find one
    - As a smoker, I don't care if employees smoke, but it is completely unprofessional for Tesco to have their staff always congregating at the very front of the store beside the entrance smoking away. It is really annoying especially since they many of these staff handle food and it annoys anyone having to walk through a cloud of smoke entering the store.
    A manger with any brains would say, employees smoke out the back if on duty or else don't wear your uniform if smoking out the front. It used to be kids hanging out blocking your way in Roselawn, but for the past couple of years, it is the stupid Tesco staff. I can't think of any other store that have so many staff smoking so much at the front of the store. Great image! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Roselawn has gone down hill for about 10 years as has Prussia st, when the new one is built on the Navan road I wouldn't be surprised to see one or maybe both close.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Whereabouts on the Navan Road is that being built?

At the back of Mc D's, beside the Social Welfare office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I dont know why you would go near the place with superquin around the corner (apart from the late night opening). Its not a nice supermarket at all the veg is dreadful much worse than lidl or dunnes and its not even as cheap. Really dislike it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

No1J wrote: »
    At the back of Mc D's, beside the Social Welfare office.

What size will it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

sounds very shabby indeed any fotos?

Not sure but they seem to have plenty of land there, it used to be a telecom site as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Agreed it is an awful store but I would put up with it for having a 24 hour store. Dunnes closes way too early so at least there is somewhere open past 10. I only use it if I have to though.

• Advertisement

Dunnes and Superquinn both cut back on their late opening hours..at one stage Dunnes was 12 and Superquinn 10 but they changed them.

I get home late a couple of nights a week and Tesco is my only option if I need stuff before morning

Advertisement