Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Roselawn tonight - a disgrace!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

psni wrote: »
    They have to have cashiers available at all opening times. It's part of their conditions of being open 24/7. If they don't, call head office tomorrow, complain, and you'll get a nice gratuity to keep you quiet. They can't afford to have their 24/7 permit revoked if this made the news.
    As a member of staff at Tesco I can confirm you are totally wrong tesco bought in self scan checkouts so when they are opened 24/7 they dont need a operator on the normal tills as there is one member of staff watching over the self scans tesco have cut there checkout staff since these self scans came in and there are planing on bringing more of them in. Were i work checkout staff hours have been cut as they are forcing people to use these things as they have a policey were no one cues. Tesco staff are curently in disscusions with the company about this and about a pay rise which was signed and stamped in feburary 2008 and we to this day are still waiting on this we are curently in labour court about this. You will get no joy in ringing head office as they will more than likely fob you off good luck you will need it .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

People have been complaining about Tesco since it came here in the late 1990s and yet they keep increasing their customers. It's like the Ryanair of supermarkets - people give out about it, but still use it.

The self-scan tills are there to keep staff costs down so that they can keep prices competitive. I find them very easy to use and all of the supermarkets now use them.

That said, there's no denying that Tesco Roselawn has lost it's former snobby identity and now is just the same as every other Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

rescue16 wrote: »
    You will get no joy in ringing head office as they will more than likely fob you off good luck you will need it .:)

I am determined not to let this go...I so wish I'd taken photos last night..it was definitely one for the papers. The shelves looked like they'd been ram raided and the queue...was horrendous. For people with trolleys trying to stock up for the week it was a disaster..there's next to no room to stack the scanned groceries. This is just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Not wanting to judge staff and the way they are told to work but there is a big difference with the way Aldi and Lidl staff compare to Tesco. As soon as the last customer at their till is served the till is locked and they are stacking straight away, very efficient, while Tesco just sit there and shout over to their mates.

How many Tesco stores have ended their 24 hour opening hours? I hope Roselawn doesn't follow suit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tesco Roselawn is a really dreadful store. Badly run with unfriendly and surly staff. The fruit and veg in particular is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

athtrasna wrote: »
    I was in a good mood until I got there, came home stressed and grumpy.

You really need to get a life.
    A hobby.
    An interest.
    An obsession.
    Knit, paint, sew, cook. Whatever it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In my experience of Tesco's 24 hour stores in Cork, they're often pretty badly run at night.

They've a tendency to close the automatic checkouts and open a single manual till and then you end up with huge queues. The worst that happens is someone comes along with a full weekly shop :)

Surely the ideal situation is that they should have 1 manual till open and a set of automatic tills to cope with people making small purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No1J wrote: »
    as has Prussia st,
    I felt dirty coming out of that Tescos *shudder* so can only imagine what Roselawn is like if that one is anything to go by. Tesco is last on my list of shops id go to. Id even rather pay double the price in spar than wade through the manky fruit and veg they have in some stores.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Never had a problem on Tesco Roselawn. The shelves are always stocked or being stocked whenever I go in there at any hour of the night. I've had to queue, yeah, but never for much longer than I would queue in any other shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

From my experiences I can relate to many posts in this thread although I still find it extremely beneficial to have a 24 Hour Tesco open so close to home. I find myself going in at all hours during the day and Middle of the night (Depending where I am coming from).

My observations;
    Staff - I have only just realised that the same staff have remained in this Tesco for years, I can remember some of them going back from when I was a child going down there which is both good and bad in my opinion. The good being that Tesco might have a good relationship within the store as so many staff seem to have remained in position for many years. The bad being that staff can become lazy and fall into "Comfort" spots and sometimes this can reflect on their performance. On the plus side I rarely have ever come accross a rude memember in there and usually always served with a smile and decent level of friendliness.

Stock - I think this is where the biggest issue lies and as mentioned above several times sometimes you can get something other times you can't get the same item for months on end. From my understanding or own opinion I can imagine the issue here is Tesco Roselawn is not the largest of tescos. I'm assuming it does not carry the full range of products compared to some of the larger newer stores and I would imagine this creates somewhat of a discrepancy in the stock in Roselawn.

Night-time 24/hr Issue - I never really had any problems here. I think im far to grateful of tesco being open at 3AM than to complain about a Cage or Pallet of stock sitting on the floor as it is merchandised. I've never had a problem using the self scanners either although you wont catch me doing a Full weeks shop at 3AM on a self scanner. It is annoying though when all they have open are the Self Service Scanners and there is a MASSIVE que.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wonder how many complaining on this thread will keep going back and giving Tesco Roselawn their custom though?? The best way you can get Tesco management to sit up and take action is by voting with your feet - shop elsewhere at Dunnes, Superquinn, Lidl or any other competitor until you see or hear about them improving their store/offerings/service.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Whatever it takes.

FYI the only reason I was out so late was that I was coming home from a community group I am involved in and got a call from my OH to see if I'd stop and pick up a few things as they had to go into work first thing and wouldn't have time to shop.

If you'd been in that queue on Tuesday night you'd have been stressed and grumpy too...I spoke to many other exasperated people!

ongarboy wrote: »
    I wonder how many complaining on this thread will keep going back and giving Tesco Roselawn their custom though?? The best way you can get Tesco management to sit up and take action is by voting with your feet - shop elsewhere at Dunnes, Superquinn, Lidl or any other competitor until you see or hear about them improving their store/offerings/service.

Well and good to say that but all those shops close at 9pm on Tuesdays!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Just saw this thread. I hadn't realised that Tescos in Roselawn was this bad, I always thought Prussia St. had to be the worst Tescos ever. I'm a bit dubious about the new Tescos opening up on the Navan Road - I hope the standards improve a bit. I was hoping this would mean the one in Prussia St. would close as it's gone beyond refurbishment.

I've been in Lidl Glasnevin a few times recently and it's very impressive. Trolleys that actually work - and are easy to return, not like the clapped out trolleys in Prussia St.

Though it's handy to know that there is a 24 hours Tesco in the area (Roselawn). On the bank holiday Monday, all the supermarkets were closed at 7pm so I had to drive over to the Tescos in Finglas. That Tescos is not too bad.

Though it's handy to know that there is a 24 hours Tesco in the area (Roselawn). On the bank holiday Monday, all the supermarkets were closed at 7pm so I had to drive over to the Tescos in Finglas. That Tescos is not too bad.

I like that Tesco, though their fruit and veg selection can be a bit hit and miss, but they've recently gone from 24 hours to closing at midnight. Pity, they have great staff over there and I'd hate to hear that this is resulting in job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I like that Tesco, though their fruit and veg selection can be a bit hit and miss, but they've recently gone from 24 hours to closing at midnight. Pity, they have great staff over there and I'd hate to hear that this is resulting in job losses.
    its never the staff that are the problem,the poor sods get all the agro from customers,its the managers who are always to blame,you know they are the ones you can never find.

I am determined not to let this go...I so wish I'd taken photos last night..it was definitely one for the papers. The shelves looked like they'd been ram raided and the queue...was horrendous. For people with trolleys trying to stock up for the week it was a disaster..there's next to no room to stack the scanned groceries. This is just not good enough.
    You see the only problem you will have there is more than likely security will stop you taking photos. Your best bet would be to find out who the directors are and contact one of them.You can if you want ring head office and ask to speak to the regional manager for roselawn store and if that person is not there and for a call back and a email address for them this is the only way i can see you getting any joy from head office good look i hope you will get there in the end.

No1J wrote: »
    Not wanting to judge staff and the way they are told to work but there is a big difference with the way Aldi and Lidl staff compare to Tesco. As soon as the last customer at their till is served the till is locked and they are stacking straight away, very efficient, while Tesco just sit there and shout over to their mates.
    I have to agree with you as this happens all the time in the store i work .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

If you saw the difference in price between Tesco in the North and Tesco in the South you'd never use Tesco in the South again. Was in two Dublin Tesco's with a friend and happened to notice some stuff I'd bought recently in the North. I bought some microwave dinners for stocking the freezer with some emergency supplies and the price difference was unreal. £1 vs €2.69 and around £1.50 vs €3.15, exact same items. Noticed a 4 pack of wispas was £1.49 vs €2.65. There are plenty more but can't remember the differences at this point.

We are being robbed blind by Tescos and it's high time we stopped using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

meglome wrote: »
    If you saw the difference in price between Tesco in the North and Tesco in the South you'd never use Tesco in the South again. Was in two Dublin Tesco's with a friend and happened to notice some stuff I'd bought recently in the North. I bought some microwave dinners for stocking the freezer with some emergency supplies and the price difference was unreal. £1 vs €2.69 and around £1.50 vs €3.15, exact same items. Noticed a 4 pack of wispas was £1.49 vs €2.65. There are plenty more but can't remember the differences at this point.

Its not as simple as that. They are separate markets with separate conditions e.g. vat rates, labour costs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The older, smaller, ex Quinsworth stores are generally dire.

Sandymount used to be spectacularly bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Well and good to say that but all those shops close at 9pm on Tuesdays!

When I first started using Tesco's or Quinnsworth, as it was then, they closed at 5.30 - 6.00 Mon Tue & Wed.

Thurs and Fri were late nights and they closed at 9.00 - 9.30.

They also closed all day Sunday.

Ahh, the Good Old Days!!!

Murt10 wrote: »
    When I first started using Tesco's or Quinnsworth, as it was then, they closed at 5.30 - 6.00 Mon Tue & Wed.

Thurs and Fri were late nights and they closed at 9.00 - 9.30.

They also closed all day Sunday.

Ahh, the Good Old Days!!!

Thankfully those days are long gone.

Does anyone know if the Roselawn one is going to cut back it's opening hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

ongarboy wrote: »

I live very very close to the store & only drive a motorbike, so it's convenient. And I don't get home until quite late most days.

So basically it's the only supermarket nearby that is open at the times I need. I go to Superquinn and Dunnes whenever I can.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

meglome wrote: »

Shopping in the North isn't going to do anything for our economic recovery and can lead to job losses here, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

As someone already pointed out the cost to run a store in the north is far less. Their staff are probably payed pittance compared to what the staff here are payed. Of course that's no excuse for having a crappy store, but as far as prices go I don't think anyone was really complaining about that.

Oh and as some other people are comparing it to the store on Prussia St. I think it's fair to point out that it's not a horrible dirty falling apart store, it's alright as far as supermarkets go, but it's just not being managed at all.

Obviously those of us with a choice shop elsewhere but like a few people have said, if you're working late and can only get to the shops in the evening there's no other options locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

TheoBoone wrote: »
    Not having staff on the tills is stupid for a place that stays open all night. Only things people ever buy after 1am are cigarettes, condoms and crisps. You can buy crisps on the self-serve checkouts, but you can't get smokes or condoms without someone to approve them. What a bunch of idiots!
    jeepers101 wrote: »
    Seriously? Its Tescos's fault they've no staff on.

Tesco always have at least one person observing the checkouts. It's not for the benefit of customers, it's to stop people weighing a leg of lamb as bananas and getting it for cheap for example and to get cigs etc. It is ridiculous that there isn't at least one normal checkout open though.
    getz wrote: »
    the best way to answer is to tell you,that in the UK all the staff in tesco are till trained,when there is more than two in a queue ,managers and shop floor staff have to go on the check outs,my son is a tesco manager[bakery] in the UK.early last year he was asked to go to ireland,to train and show some irish managers how tesco work ,the biggest shock he had was the reluctance of the irish side of the management family to work hands on, it seems that in ireland all managers are expected to have suits on,a kind of thing that went out in the 70s over here ,you can imagine the dirty looks he got when he put on his whites to work with the lads in the bakery; but calling for tesco to lose its licience is daft,all that will do is put more people out of work,at the end of the day,a phone call or letter to the store manager will sort out the problem ,

Most Irish staff and managers are till trained, but this being Ireland, actual policy is never adhered to.
    rescue16 wrote: »
    As a member of staff at Tesco I can confirm you are totally wrong tesco bought in self scan checkouts so when they are opened 24/7 they dont need a operator on the normal tills as there is one member of staff watching over the self scans tesco have cut there checkout staff since these self scans came in and there are planing on bringing more of them in. Were i work checkout staff hours have been cut as they are forcing people to use these things as they have a policey were no one cues. Tesco staff are curently in disscusions with the company about this and about a pay rise which was signed and stamped in feburary 2008 and we to this day are still waiting on this we are curently in labour court about this. You will get no joy in ringing head office as they will more than likely fob you off good luck you will need it .:)

Tesco have been treating their staff like crap for a while now, using the recession as an excuse for cutbacks and increasing the workload of current staff and not replacing staff leaving. So many stores look pretty bad. All this while seeing multi billion pound profits every year.

I always do my shopping at Aldi/Lidl. I not a major fan of Tesco/Dunnes.

Complain here btw: www.tescocomments.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

axer wrote: »
    Its not as simple as that. They are separate markets with separate conditions e.g. vat rates, labour costs etc.
    As someone already pointed out the cost to run a store in the north is far less.

Slightly Off-topic: If memory serves me correctly, the Consumers Association estimated a couple of years ago that the running costs for British businesses operating in this country are only around 17% higher than back in Britain, so it hardly explains the huge price differentials reported.

We used to shop in Roselawn for many years until the finglas store opened and it was (just) ok back then, certainly better than Manor street. However I was in Roselawn recently and couldn't get over how bedraggled it had become in the few years since we'd been away. Looks like a store winding down to be closed.

We're starting to do more & more of our shopping in aldi now, it's amazing the price difference between it and Tesco for the same goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Tesco Roselawn is a really dreadful store. Badly run with unfriendly and surly staff. The fruit and veg in particular is a disgrace.

I promise you no Tesco is as bad as the convenience store on the Headford road in Galway. I politely made a complaint to a manager. She roared at me, yes roared, if you don't like it, shop somewhere else so now I do. Sent an email to customer service and got a cut and paste reply. They really don't care. Dunnes is much better value and they carry far more Irish products which helps keep much needed jobs at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Irishbar

Folks - can happen anywhere but a good friend of mine had her bag dipped in Tesco Roselawn a couple of weeks back and the purse taken....management were very unhelpful and it took a lot of persuasion before they would let her review the CCTV....clearly showed 3 guys watching her walking in, then splitting up in shop and communicating by mobile phone...she did what a lot of people do and left the handbag in the top of the trolley. Got to till and realised what had happened yet they refused to hold the shopping aside until she got the funds....really poor customer service and she spends €800quid a month with them..:rolleyes:

Advertisement