Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Roselawn tonight - a disgrace!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

As someone who doesn't do the weekly shopping, I avoid Tesco like the plague. You can be fifteen minutes buying bread and milk. Its a complete waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Past30Now wrote: »
    As someone who doesn't do the weekly shopping, I avoid Tesco like the plague. You can be fifteen minutes buying bread and milk. Its a complete waste of time.
    If your lucky !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Just got a reply from Customer Service (below). Glad to see it's not a copy n' paste reply, but they seem to have missed the point that the store manager is incompetent, so there is no point in forwarding our concerns to him/her. And for some reason the entire reply was regarding queues at the till which I hadn't even complained about!!

BTW, I gave them a link to this thread, so they've (hopefully) read all the posts here.

======================
    Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your email.

Firstly, I’d like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you. Please let me assure you that we always try to respond to our customers' queries in a timely manner and I’m sorry that due to high volumes of contact, this has not happened on this occasion.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have faced when visiting the Roselawn store recently. I can appreciate your concerns.

Please let me assure you we offer the best possible service to our customers, so its concerned me that on this occasion we have let you down.

One of our stores' main priorities is to make sure that ranged products are available every day. It's certainly not in our interest to have empty shelves, as we realise this can be disappointing for our customers.

Also our aim is to have no more than one other customers waiting in front of you at any one time unless, of course, all checkouts are open. To ensure this, the queue lengths are monitored regularly and the information is used to compile schedules to make sure that there is an adequate number of staff on duty.

Our staff are multi-skilled, in case the need should arise for extra cover on the checkouts. We have also installed a paging system, to keep management informed of the situation at all times.

Despite these efforts, there are occasions when the '1 in front' standard cannot be achieved, i.e. when there are staff shortages due to illness. However, I can assure you that all of our stores try exceptionally hard to serve customers as quickly as possible.

I've sent the details of your complaint to our Store Manager. Please let me reassure you that they'll look into your concerns and make sure that any problems are resolved as quickly as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Kind Regards

Fiona xxxxxxx
    Customer Service Manager
    Tesco Customer Service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Just got a reply from Customer Service (below). Glad to see it's not a copy n' paste reply, but they seem to have missed the point that the store manager is incompetent, so there is no point in forwarding our concerns to him/her. And for some reason the entire reply was regarding queues at the till which I hadn't even complained about!!
    In fairness what do you expect them to say?
    "We apologise that the manager of the store is incompetent"

axer wrote: »
    In fairness what do you expect them to say?
    "We apologise that the manager of the store is incompetent"

"We will investigate" would have been better than "We'll fob you off to the manager whose store everyone thinks is run badly."

What's the Store Manager going to do? Is he/she going to report back to Customer Service and say "Erm, yeah...I did a bad job, but I promise to do better!"?

Anyway...we'll see if anything changes. I just hope for fresh food, consistent stock & to not have to go on a basket hunt each visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Only way to have an impact is for everyone to write in and complain with heap of complaints in a short time frame then that should trigger a proper investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Murt10

It always amazes me to see the queue of people standing there waiting for a self service till to become free. Life is too short.

I have found it much faster and less hassle to go to one of the manned checkouts, even if there is one or two big trollies in front of you. At least you don't have to wait in line while someone waits for authorisation for alcohol or get something keyed in that cannot be scanned, for whatever reason.

Check it out next time yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please note that Defamation of an easily identified individual on this site is not allowed. Please refer to the boards.ie terms of use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just got a reply from Customer Service (below). Glad to see it's not a copy n' paste reply

Sorry but it kinda is...I have about 80% of that on my reply :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is something odd about people sending emails to complain about queues in Tesco. Sad even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I take it you have yet to experience the mismanagement of the afore mentioned store. 10 or more unstaffed tills, staff standing around who aren't trained to use them and a 40 strong queue for self service?? As it's the only late night supermarket in the area it's not as if we can take our business elsewhere so the only way to get the problem addressed is to alert senior management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sorry to derail the thread slightly but going back to what someone said about a new Tesco being built behind the mcdonalds in blanch, is that true? Anyone got any further details on that?

With regards Roselawn, the place is a disaster. We have a small child so sometimes I used to go shopping there at late hours, nothing mad but like half ten or eleven at night, on many occasions I saw three or four staff chatting while I tried to shovel a whole trolley full of shopping down the bloody self service till. The most annoying thing was that every time I did this and bought nappy bags, the thing would stop and the red light start flashing, and I would have to wait for someone to break off from the chat and come over to assist me - turns out nappy bags weight under the weight limit that the self service till can measure, so it can't detect them in the mystical "bagging area" and throws a wobbler. I asked why they didn't just program the self service tills to ignore the weight when someone scans in nappy bags, the look I got was equal parts confusion and amazement that that would actually be possible. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Arciphel wrote: »
    Sorry to derail the thread slightly but going back to what someone said about a new Tesco being built behind the mcdonalds in blanch, is that true? Anyone got any further details on that?

It was mentioned that they were building one behind McDonalds on the Navan Road, not Blanch.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I take it you have yet to experience the mismanagement of the afore mentioned store. 10 or more unstaffed tills, staff standing around who aren't trained to use them and a 40 strong queue for self service?? As it's the only late night supermarket in the area it's not as if we can take our business elsewhere so the only way to get the problem addressed is to alert senior management.

It sounds like you're being forced to shop in Tesco and that they are obliged by law to man all the check outs lol.

They are able to keep the prices down low because they have less staff and the price you have to pay for lower prices is queuing a little longer.

When I see a large queue in a shop, I just put all my stuff down and walk out and shop elsewhere in future. Tesco doesn't owe you anything. It is not a state owned company, it's a commercial company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conscious

There should be legislation that limits how many stores a multinational company like tesco can open! Does anyone know any independent supermarket that's still in business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

conscious wrote: »
    There should be legislation that limits how many stores a multinational company like tesco can open! Does anyone know any independent supermarket that's still in business?

Like it or not, Tesco provide far more employment in this country, both direct and indirect (although increasingly less indirect) than the odd independent supermarket would provide. Legislating to limit how many stores they can open would be counter-productive, and no doubt in breach of some EU legislation governing the single European market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Studies have shown that when a large supermarket opens in a particular town or area, there is a net decrease in local employment - for every 20 jobs the supermarket creates, 30 are lost elsewhere in the area. (quoted from last nights show about food on RTE!)

There is something odd about people sending emails to complain about queues in Tesco. Sad even.

It's not something I would normally do. But the service is so poor that I found it necessary. The fact that this thread exists and that others have sent in similar complaints should give you an understanding of just how bad the store is.

When I was there yesterday evening, 80-90% of the fruit & veg shelves were empty. There was 9 slice pans left, half of which were torn & the other half passed their sell-by-date in 2 days. There were empty cardboard boxes thrown into the packaged meat section & the place generally looked like it had been hit by a tornado.

So, I don't see anything 'sad' about complaining. It's quite appropriate.

Also, if you don't have anything nice/useful to add, then perhaps you should just not post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Irish people don't complain enough. We put up with too much dire service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I have shopped in Tesco's and other supemarkets in the locality for over thirty years and to be honest I have always forund Tesco's (or as it was in the past Quinnsworth) to be average at best and generally poor.

• Advertisement

It's not something I would normally do. But the service is so poor that I found it necessary. The fact that this thread exists and that others have sent in similar complaints should give you an understanding of just how bad the store is.

When I was there yesterday evening, 80-90% of the fruit & veg shelves were empty. There was 9 slice pans left, half of which were torn & the other half passed their sell-by-date in 2 days. There were empty cardboard boxes thrown into the packaged meat section & the place generally looked like it had been hit by a tornado.

Also, if you don't have anything nice/useful to add, then perhaps you should just not post.

We have a difference of opinion, it doesn't mean my comments aren't useful.

Now for the enboldened paragraph - are you serious?

Gaspode wrote: »
    Studies have shown that when a large supermarket opens in a particular town or area, there is a net decrease in local employment - for every 20 jobs the supermarket creates, 30 are lost elsewhere in the area. (quoted from last nights show about food on RTE!)

Lower prices...

Crazyrabbit & hotmail.com - leave out the back seat modding thanks.

Lower prices...

I assume you're suggesting that that is the benefit to be had at the cost of jobs? Hard to disagree with that point of view, especially when money is tight for everyone, unemployed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

I am very surprised at Tesco not taking on the other supermarkets in Blanchardstown due to the huge population and as market leaders to keep face.
    I expected the makeover squad to have hit over the weekend to prove Boards wrong but they couldn't be bothered. Looks like the Navan road store although 3 miles away might be where their plans lye. Asked a friend who said it will be on the lines of the Finglas store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I've seen the store in a similar state, like a horde of locust tore through it.
    I know that 'after hours' is when stores do their stocking and that gets complicated when a store is open late or 24hours and that bread deliveries don't tend to happen on a Sunday but that level of disarray tends to mean they don't have enough staff on and are just not bothering to tidy sections
    at all and leave them a mess until they are stocked.

It's not like a quick tidy of an aisle takes that long, and not bothering gives the impression the whole store is in a state of disarray and mismanaged.

Roselawn is way too small for the Dublin 15 area which is populations wise heading for the same as Cork city. Thing is it doesn't seem like Tesco corp are arsed improving the store or building a bigger one in the area when there are two large stores with in a 20 min drive.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Crazyrabbit & hotmail.com - leave out the back seat modding thanks.

Apologies. Was not my intent.
    We have a difference of opinion, it doesn't mean my comments aren't useful.

Yup.

I went to Superquinn on the main road this evening and it looked like every shelf had just been restocked. I couldn't believe the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

One evening, I was in the fruit and veg section and I could hear what sounded like a kitten in distress. I thought I was loosing it. I followed the sound which brought me to the information desk. There was an overturned cardboard box moving about. The poor cat was trapped and could be heard all over the store. It was actually quite upsetting.

At this stage I was getting accusing stares from a dodgy looking security person/manager. I approached him and he took exception to me questioning him and was rude and abrasive. He dismissed me when I brought up 'health and safety'.

On my way out later I passed him while he was smoking at the door and he stared me out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Tesco Roselawn is a joke. Yes, it's handy to have somewhere local to shop at three am, but to be honest, I'd rather drive to Maynooth - a MUCH nicer shop.
    Finglas is just as bad. My mother asked me to bring her out there recently to do her weekly shop, it was quite late by the time we filled our trolley - coming up on 10pm. I approached an open till to be told it was closing. Approached the only other open till to be told it was closing too, and to bring my €200+ trolley load through the self service, which had a queue of at least 50 scummers queuing to buy drink. When I pointed out that I couldn't bring all of my shopping through a self service, I was told ''ah well, tough!'' I was having none of it, so I found a manager and sweetly told him that there was no way in blue hell I was doing that. He instructed one of the tills to stay open, but no sooner had he done so, about 25 of the 50 scummers queuing for drink had hopped out of the self sevice queue and physically pushed past me and my mother to get served first. I left the queue and found the manager, told him what happened, and to be fair to him he opened the clothes section till for me alone. When I was leaving, I thinked him for being helpful but told him that his staff were a disgrace. I also told him that I had visited the customer toilet, and that his security guard (who came out of the toilet seconds before I went in) had p!ssed all over it, and it was singularly the most disgusting bathroom I'd ever seen, couldn't bring myself to use it.

The new Tesco in Maynooth is worth the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Sharrow wrote: »
    Thing is it doesn't seem like Tesco corp are arsed improving the store or building a bigger one in the area when there are two large stores with in a 20 min drive.

This is probably the core of it. Many large landowners in residental areas were happy to run their premises into the ground during the boom, on the basis that they could sell the land for housing and build cheaper, bigger stores out of town. They built some of the new shops but couldn't flog the old ones in time, so they're being run on the cheapest basis possible.

Out of interest, how many Tesco customers here need the 24 hour access? Superquinn is less than 5 mins away, opens until at least 9 most days and is lightyears better than Tesco. Going to Maynooth just for Tesco sounds nuts.

Advertisement