Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Roselawn tonight - a disgrace!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Out of interest, how many Tesco customers here need the 24 hour access? Superquinn is less than 5 mins away, opens until at least 9 most days and is lightyears better than Tesco. Going to Maynooth just for Tesco sounds nuts.

It's quite busy on the occasions when I go in after 9pm. Not sure about other 24 hour stores though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I reckon my visits to Tesco prior to last week would have been 60% 7-9pm, 15% weekend, 15% 9-midnight and 10% after midnight. Haven't been back in the past week..have been able to work around it and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

This is probably the core of it. Many large landowners in residental areas were happy to run their premises into the ground during the boom, on the basis that they could sell the land for housing and build cheaper, bigger stores out of town. They built some of the new shops but couldn't flog the old ones in time, so they're being run on the cheapest basis possible.

Out of interest, how many Tesco customers here need the 24 hour access? Superquinn is less than 5 mins away, opens until at least 9 most days and is lightyears better than Tesco. Going to Maynooth just for Tesco sounds nuts.

Don't know how long Superquinns will be there. Apparently it is up for sale.

http://businessandleadership.com/business/item/29984-superquinn-unions-look-for/

(Never believe anything until it's been officialy denied - Sir Humphrey Appleby, GCB, KBE, MVO, MA (Oxon).)

As far as I remember, at the time Fergal Quinn sold it, just before the bubble popped, it was a pure property play. Now that the fizz has gone out of the market, I would imagine that anyone who wants to buy it, is looking to do so on the cheap.

Quinn was never a man to sell for anything for anything but top dollar and his timing on this deal was impeccable. I think a lot of the staff were unimpressed, as they were hoping in vain for a nice share of his windfall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Gaspode wrote: »
    Studies have shown that when a large supermarket opens in a particular town or area, there is a net decrease in local employment - for every 20 jobs the supermarket creates, 30 are lost elsewhere in the area. (quoted from last nights show about food on RTE!)

To be fair to Roselawn Shopping centre, they have done a good job in keeping stores open. As far as I know, Tesco are the landlords, so I can't believe I am praising Tesco. No store is vacant, the newsagent, chemist and butcher all do very good business despite competing with Tesco. If a store has closed down, another one has popped up to take its place. So Roselawn Shopping Centre has weathered the recession pretty good. The only establishments letting down the centre is the Tesco itself and the Roselawn Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thatsme

Tesco in Roselawn is a Kip, Superquinn in Blanch is IMO very poor more like a convenience store and very limited stock of provisions. The worst Tesco has to be the one in Lucan - its filthy would never buy meat or fresh veg in it I shudder at the thought. Superquinn Lucan is a lovely shop Staff are friendly and helpful great selection of product and food is always top class - although a bit pricey. I tend to go to Dunnes in the Mill or Blanch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Gaspode wrote: »
    Studies have shown that when a large supermarket opens in a particular town or area, there is a net decrease in local employment - for every 20 jobs the supermarket creates, 30 are lost elsewhere in the area. (quoted from last nights show about food on RTE!)

I only saw part of that program, but that sounds a bit odd - for example if the Roselawn Tesco were to close down, wouldn't that most likely put most of the little shops in the same shopping centre out of business? Maybe the losses are only in food industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

It's not something I would normally do. But the service is so poor that I found it necessary. The fact that this thread exists and that others have sent in similar complaints should give you an understanding of just how bad the store is.

When I was there yesterday evening, 80-90% of the fruit & veg shelves were empty. There was 9 slice pans left, half of which were torn & the other half passed their sell-by-date in 2 days. There were empty cardboard boxes thrown into the packaged meat section & the place generally looked like it had been hit by a tornado.

So, I don't see anything 'sad' about complaining. It's quite appropriate.

Also, if you don't have anything nice/useful to add, then perhaps you should just not post.
    talking to my lad yesterday about the complaints on this thread about tesco in ireland,as i said before he is a senior tesco manager in the UK,he said you can be sure that the tesco head office do take it seriously, but you do need to complain every time to head office,you can be sure that the tesco store managers who is at fault will be getting a boot up his /their arse ,but dont expect they will be showing their dirty washing in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

To be fair to Roselawn Shopping centre, they have done a good job in keeping stores open. As far as I know, Tesco are the landlords, so I can't believe I am praising Tesco. No store is vacant, the newsagent, chemist and butcher all do very good business despite competing with Tesco. If a store has closed down, another one has popped up to take its place. So Roselawn Shopping Centre has weathered the recession pretty good. The only establishments letting down the centre is the Tesco itself and the Roselawn Inn.

Sadly Tesco put the local bookshop out of business. Once Tesco started selling books they couldn't compete and the family run business in the Roselawn Shopping Centre had to close down. I felt awful sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Sadly Tesco put the local bookshop out of business. Once Tesco started selling books they couldn't compete and the family run business in the Roselawn Shopping Centre had to close down. I felt awful sorry for them.

Tesco could hardly have done this.

1. They don't sell text books
    2. They don't stock the range of books that a bookshop sells

Also why would the Wise Owl bookshop decide to open a branch in Roselawn if Tesco was going to make it impossible to run a business?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The local bookshop that was there closed as the owner retired. dont know why he didn't sell it as a going concern though. Wouldn't have been the same without him anyway he was just great, someone who genuinely loved books

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The childrens book/art shop seems to stock a selection of best sellers. Dunno if they always did that or not. Man I miss borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I fully agree about that book shop owner..lovely man. he put me onto Game of Thrones which he said was the best series he ever read. I took it with a pinch of salt thinking,..typical salesman..but it turns out he was bang on the money...and now HBO is making the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You might like this...http://bestfantasybooks.com/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Roselawn Shopping Centre IMO needs a major revamp.

It was built in the mid 1970s and, like most other shopping centre of its vintage, it hasn't dated particularly well. Parking needs to be improved for starters and the Tesco store needs a major revamp but let's not forget that Roselawn is the only Tesco in all of Dublin 15, which is now a very big area compared to when Roselawn was first built (it was also the very first shopping centre in Dublin 15).

I agree with the others that there are some big problems with Tesco Roselawn but with a bit of investment and improved management these problems can be overcome. It's certainly not a write off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

kenon wrote: »
    I've always associated Tesco in Roselawn with empty shelves. I just thought it was their style.

LOL, ha, ha, good one. I agree. I only go there if I'm stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mojo25

LOL, ha, ha, good one. I agree. I only go there if I'm stuck.

I can confirm that many Tescos around Dublin are getting refits, Roselawn will be next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

axer wrote: »
    Its not as simple as that. They are separate markets with separate conditions e.g. vat rates, labour costs etc.

I appreciate they are different markets but I also seem to recall that per customer Tesco make more money here. I wonder if the high prices and the profits are connected. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I stopped going to Tesco in Roselawn a few years ago and I forgot why until I had to go in a few weeks ago and it was the only shop open. It was awful, empty shelves, crates everywhere, staff standing arouns shouting across at each other and it was just dirty! I'll never go back. They could make it a really nice store, hopefully it is getting a refit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 critical

Every comment helps - details on the receipt. It will go to head office and the store itself. Only way to get some someone accountable

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was in Tesco Maynooth for the first time yesterday. I know it's 10 times bigger than Roselawn, but the difference in standards between the two is unreal. You wouldn't think they were owned by the same company. I absolutely despise grocery shopping, but it was such a pleasant experience (admittedly relatively early on a Sunday, I'd imagine Saturday afternoons are completely different) that I'd be tempted to do all my shopping there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Zaph wrote: »
    I was in Tesco Maynooth for the first time yesterday. I know it's 10 times bigger than Roselawn, but the difference in standards between the two is unreal. You wouldn't think they were owned by the same company. I absolutely despise grocery shopping, but it was such a pleasant experience (admittedly relatively early on a Sunday, I'd imagine Saturday afternoons are completely different) that I'd be tempted to do all my shopping there.

Just how early Sir?. Was one drunk? :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just how early Sir?. Was one drunk? :pac:

I wish I could claim that I was, but I'm far more abstemious these days than I used to be. It was about midday, which is still early on a Sunday in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Zaph wrote: »

I know how you feel. When in Cyprus, I went to a fairly small local supermarket in a small town and it was better stocked, with fresh food. And that's impressive considering they have to import pretty much everything to the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

I had a chat with my local corner shop today and he said that biz was bad but with Tesco Navan rd opening in August, things could only get worse.
    While in Clearewater I overheard a staff member say he we going to the new store and that it was F****** massive.
    Anyone hear anything? I also heard that staff at Prussia st had their normal contracts extended so sounds like it's staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Didn't even see any construction work on the Navan Rd... :\

There's a Tesco Express coming to Mulhuddart Village too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I can't see how that Tesco Express is going to work, the car park will probably be bedlam from 8-10am and from 4-7pm every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not going to be any different than any large Spar, Centra or Supervalu. Although there's already two Spars in Mulhuddart, odd that any other convenience store will want to set up around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's going to be in behind the pub (where the old nightclub used to be). Didn't believe it myself and have been hearing things for months, even rang Tesco to see if they knew anything about it and not a clue there either... but was in the carpark there myself last week and seen the construction signs and there's a Tesco Express logo on the signs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not going to be any different than any large Spar, Centra or Supervalu. Although there's already two Spars in Mulhuddart, odd that any other convenience store will want to set up around there.

I think, I'm open to correction, that Tesco charge the same price in all their shops. Spar are great for a basket shop but in general charge way over the top.

Much as we (myself in particular) like to bitch about Tesco, relative to their competitors, their prices are generally seen as reasonable.

Tesco's presence in Dublin 15 is tiny relative to their overall market share (one intermediate sized shop in Roselawn),. A Tesco express in Mulhuddart would wipe out the two spars, or at least canabalise their market share, while at the same time greatly increasing Tescos presence in the area, for a relatively minor cost.

Whatever else you say about Tesco, you have to appreciate that they are very shrewd operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Tesco on the navan road is behind mcdonnells where eircom used to be the entrance is beside the social welfare ,only building it now don't have an opening date

Advertisement