Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Limerick

• 04-05-2011 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm currently abroad but will be returning home sooner than I thought so I’ve decided on my return to join a gym, was thinking of U.L as i was once a member there when I got one summer membership for €100 for 3 months

But was looking at their rates last night online and for a 12 month membership its €490:eek:. Is it just me or is that crazy expensive?

Is 490 the price I’d be paying if i were to look at JJB? Can anyone recommend a potential alternative gym than UL?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pay monthly? Less of a sting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think the summer one is about the same this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Mc Love wrote: »
    I think the summer one is about the same this year

What month does that kick off do you know?

I dunno when i'm back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

UL summer membership is 125 this year I do think (100 for students)

UL summer membership is 125 this year I do think (100 for students)

Thats for 3 months yeah?

Do you know which months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

starting now I think cos my sister got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Club Vitae at the Maldron Hotel usually have good offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

JJB have one of the best deals around at the moment with a membership from €250 for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

busyliving wrote: »
    Thats for 3 months yeah?

Do you know which months?

its for 4 months, and they will run the offer til end of june, so 4 months from ur sign up date. great offer, my 3 months for 125 expires on june 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    JJB have one of the best deals around at the moment with a membership from €250 for a year.

Whats the actual gym like? Ive heard some good and some bad stories about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

Im currently in the dominator catherine street by the moose bar.Payed 200 for 6 months.Thinks its 350 for the year.Can also pay weekly or monthly aswell.No swimming pool or sauna or anything like that though just heavy weights:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I think the one up at punch's cross is 100 euro for 3 months too, it's a nice one too not too busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

shano_88 wrote: »
    Whats the actual gym like? Ive heard some good and some bad stories about the place.

The gym is great, modern equipment, heated pool, sauna, steam room, studios for classes such as spinning etc...gets busy in the evenings but other than that it ticks all the boxes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Guys I went looking for the Mk Club on windmill street today and couldn't find it. Am I blind? :D Was going to check out what it's like / prices if anyone has any info, or even knows where exactly it is so I don't walk past it again! (Btw is Windmill St a bit dodge or anything? I saw a couple of guys fighting when I was there mid-afternoon)

Guys I went looking for the Mk Club on windmill street today and couldn't find it. Am I blind? :D Was going to check out what it's like / prices if anyone has any info, or even knows where exactly it is so I don't walk past it again! (Btw is Windmill St a bit dodge or anything? I saw a couple of guys fighting when I was there mid-afternoon)

Used to work up around that area, its dodgy enough quite a few junkies up that side and dealers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I think MK Fitness has closed. Combat Sports Center is there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

MK Fitness is still open, I called in there last Saturday to check it out, yes that area can be dodgy enough! Think the prices were as follows:

€40 for a month
    €50 for 50 days
    €100 for 100 days
    €150 for 6 months as long as you sign up to pay by direct debit

I called in just after 4, they close at 4 on Saturdays, however the instructor, Dermot was his name, showed me around, they have very good equipment, no sauna, pool or jacuzzi though, as Dermot put it "It's a real f*cking man's gym (but we do have ladies as well)". They have a ladies offer of €25 per month I think too.

I ended up joining the Strand instead, it's more expensive but it's closer to where I live and also has a pool, the other thing about MK is that they're gonna be closed on Sundays during the summer, think they open at 7am weekdays, and I know they close at 4 on Saturdays.

It's hidden in behind that combat fighting place, just walk past the car park barrier and around the corner to your left.

Wow gaf thanks a million for that - you have saved me a trip! I think it was probably just after 4pm when I was there actually which would not have helped me find it no doubt! Very disappointing opening hours tbh - Sunday opening would be a must, so it seems a no go. I am not too demanding as regards luxuries but I do like a hairdryer in the changing rooms (not much to ask I feel!) so I don't think the windmill is for me.

Might try the Clarion next weekend and see what the story there is.

Thanks again gaf - great info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I think MK Fitness has closed. Combat Sports Center is there now.

wait? did combat move again? I thought they were out further...behind the mazda dealer!!

UL is going to be quite again for the summer now the students are gone. You can see it already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Wow gaf thanks a million for that - you have saved me a trip! I think it was probably just after 4pm when I was there actually which would not have helped me find it no doubt! Very disappointing opening hours tbh - Sunday opening would be a must, so it seems a no go. I am not too demanding as regards luxuries but I do like a hairdryer in the changing rooms (not much to ask I feel!) so I don't think the windmill is for me.

Might try the Clarion next weekend and see what the story there is.

Thanks again gaf - great info :)

Clarion is cheap but is very very small- I went and had a look but was not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I'll be taking the UL summer special up as mine is just up 125e for 4 months. UL gets it for me because the use of the 50m pool. JJB etc just can't cut it.

Nothing like doing a wee swimming set after a workout!

Clarion is cheap but is very very small- I went and had a look but was not impressed.

Thanks Neon - God I'll be staying where I am at this rate! Using Dooradoyle Lesidue atm and don't find it great to be honest. I was thinking if I moved where I live closer to town I could use one of the gyms there instead.

Maybe I will follow gaf and try the strand hotel, though it is a little further out then I was hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

If your our that side ive heard good things about the south court gym...but ive only heard them cant say there true or not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

Thanks Neon - God I'll be staying where I am at this rate! Using Dooradoyle Lesidue atm and don't find it great to be honest. I was thinking if I moved where I live closer to town I could use one of the gyms there instead.

Maybe I will follow gaf and try the strand hotel, though it is a little further out then I was hoping.
    strand isnt that great to be honest when it comes to weights,they only have dumbells and a smith machine, no benchs or barbells in there:(,and the steam room and jacuzzi used to be always broke in there.and i heard the prices went up in there recently aswell to something like 200 for 3 months:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Said I wouldn't start a new thread as there's plenty of gym ones already.

Membership for my gym is up.

Wouldn't mind going somewhere new as I've been in my current gym since 2008.

At the moment membership cost me €90 for 3 months.

Anywhere cheaper than this or is this the best rate around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Said I wouldn't start a new thread as there's plenty of gym ones already.

Membership for my gym is up.

Wouldn't mind going somewhere new as I've been in my current gym since 2008.

At the moment membership cost me €90 for 3 months.

Anywhere cheaper than this or is this the best rate around?

ul €125 for 4 months for summer is about the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

u.18's in UL is €65 for the 4 months, do you think I'd get away with it as I am 18? It's an extra €60 otherwise :o

Advertisement