Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal In Drumcondra

Options
  • 04-05-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

The canal from Drumcondra down towards Croker seems extremely low at the moment. Is it just the fact we have had no rain or are they planning on cleaning it up a bit?

Also as you look from the bridge in Drumcondra toward Croker there is a little boat pier. Has this ever been used or what is the idea behind it? I dont think I have ever noticed anyone boating on that part of the canal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

Yes i noticed this as well. I've seen some council workers cleaning the banks of late, but I'm not sure if its a specific project on that part of the canal or just general maintenance.

At present, and pretty much always, its a disgrace. Its an embarrassment for tourists to see that filth when there coming in on the bus from the airport. Perhaps the council have lowered the levels to give it a good clean.

The regulars at the outdoor inn will still feic their cans, nappys, bikes etc et in, in a matter of time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I'm not sure - but it could do with a clean out!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Waterways Ireland clean the canal. They work in Northern Ireland too, a cross border body and a good example of cooperation
    I used to walk past it every day and it happened at least once a year.

They'll just empty a section or two for a few days and give it a clean out. Takes over a day to get the water level back up when they finish.

If council workers were spotted I guess they take responsibility for the bank and path and Waterways Ireland will look after the actual canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Waterways Ireland clean the canal. They work in Northern Ireland too, a cross border body and a good example of cooperation
    I used to walk past it every day and it happened at least once a year.

They'll just empty a section or two for a few days and give it a clean out. Takes over a day to get the water level back up when they finish.

If council workers were spotted I guess they take responsibility for the bank and path and Waterways Ireland will look after the actual canal.

I didnt know who was responsible for them. I actually get the Docklands train in to the city for the past year and have not noticed anyone working on the canal. I use to live in Drumcondra and the only time I remember the Canal empty was when they were looking for a body, but I wouldnt have any reason to be looking over the bridge!!

Have you any idea what the little wooden dock is for? Realistically if someone was to sail they could only sail from the bridge to were Irish rail have a bridge connecting Docklands to Connolly line. The Bridge at Drumcondra has a huge wooden wall like structure with water occasionally following through it while the bridge below croker is literally sitting on the water. (I dont know much about canals but is doesnt look like the other locks on the canal by this I mean the Wooden structure under the bridge at Drumcondra not the rail link which is just a metal bridge and not a lock)

There is also the ruins of a boat actaully down by the rail line close to the docklands looks like it has been there a while. Pity we cant use this section of the canal for something useful?

I don't know exactly how often it's done but I lived in Drumcondra for two years and saw it done twice, that's my logic.
    You'd see the hi vis for Waterways Ireland staff and their vehicles around North Strand. Giving it a good clean out

If it's not been done for a long time I would imagine they were busy with their work in Longford and finishing the connection to the Shannon.

• Advertisement

Cool,

it is actually a lock just looks a little different maybe because it is under the bridge? (hope these images work)

857703_638ccb3f.jpg

Also here is a pic of the little boat pier. I dont know if it is ever used of what is the point of it.

The_Royal_Canal_at_Drumcondra_Road_Lower%2C_Dublin%2C_Ireland_-_geograph.org.uk_-_333860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I went up the canal a few weeks ago from the Liffey to the Shannon. The railway bridge lifts to allow boats to pass under it. The small pier is so people can jump off the boats and open the locks. There's no need for one on the high end of the lock as you can just jump into the boat once the head gates have been closed.

I went up the canal a few weeks ago from the Liffey to the Shannon. The railway bridge lifts to allow boats to pass under it. The small pier is so people can jump off the boats and open the locks. There's no need for one on the high end of the lock as you can just jump into the boat once the head gates have been closed.

So you can actually navigate the whole way from the Liffey? Does it not go underground around Spencer Dock? Seems to disappear under the Docklands Station?

How ofter does that bridge lift with the rail? No scheduled service uses that bridge as far as I know but I still can't imagine Irish Rail allowing any sailor just to raise the bridge?

That explains the pier too.... very informative! is the little rail bridge the only obstacle between navigating the whole canal?

There are some more lift bridges on the other end near the shannon. IWAI organise bridge lifts when they're needed so boats can pass. The rail is disconnected and then the bridge lifts on four large screws in about 5/10 minutes. The canal stays above ground the whole way but you can't see the docklands station from the canal.

There are some more lift bridges on the other end near the shannon. IWAI organise bridge lifts when they're needed so boats can pass. The rail is disconnected and then the bridge lifts on four large screws in about 5/10 minutes. The canal stays above ground the whole way but you can't see the docklands station from the canal.

But you can sail from say the Liffey to Maynooth with any other obstacles? Can any person sail up or down the river as they please or do you have to apply for a license? If I was to get my hands on a pleasure craft could I sail up and down as much as I wanted, opening and closing locks etc? or are there rules?

Just curious, I have no intention on doing this.

• Advertisement

are they planning on cleaning it up a bit?

Speculation here, but since that Queen is visiting Croker perhaps they're giving the place a spring clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Noticed this evening that this stretch of the canal is filling up again, compared to levels seen last weekend. Now this might be due to the rain which is lashing into it as I type! Or maybe the lock further down has been closed up?

Does this mean the cleaning the canal theory has been dashed? It's a pity if so because it looks like a disgrace right now :-(

Regarding the small dock beside the bridge at dorset st/drumcondra there was a few boats docked there last weekend, the crew went into croker for the gaa n then sailed back the way they came, petty cool I thought :-)

Noticed this evening that this stretch of the canal is filling up again, compared to levels seen last weekend. Now this might be due to the rain which is lashing into it as I type! Or maybe the lock further down has been closed up?

Does this mean the cleaning the canal theory has been dashed? It's a pity if so because it looks like a disgrace right now :-(

Regarding the small dock beside the bridge at dorset st/drumcondra there was a few boats docked there last weekend, the crew went into croker for the gaa n then sailed back the way they came, petty cool I thought :-)

I didn't actually go past it this morning but I will be on the train this evening I will have a look. Pity it could do with a good clean. No one has worked on it since the level fell either as far as I can see.

Thats a great idea for Croker. Beats the traffic anyway. But would sailors not be afraid of some of the kids untying the boats? Could see it happening! Did they come from the Liffey or down the canal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I actually seen this canal been used by barges for the first time a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Dub13 wrote: »
    I actually seen this canal been used by barges for the first time a few weeks ago.

The Royal canal for most of its history was a bottomless money pit to investors. The original end of the line port for the barges was Broadstone which then became Broadstone Railway station and then CIE garage.

The low levels might also be partly due to Western Europe only getting 25% of normal rainfall in the last 2 months. So I hope everyone is prepared for the hosepipe bans. :eek:

If you had a weekend free and a good bike, a two day cycle from Dublin to end of the Royal Canal at the Shannon in Longford would be a great way to spend a weekend. Go along the towpath

You could stop for the night in Westmeath in a B&B and have a few pints but not too many now!
    And then get the train back to Dublin from Longford on Sunday evening

I think I'll do this myself!

It's not too late and the canal might get cleaned before the Queens visit. Sadly, with people drinking cans during the summer it'll be a terrible state again by August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If you had a weekend free and a good bike, a two day cycle from Dublin to end of the Royal Canal at the Shannon in Longford would be a great way to spend a weekend. Go along the towpath

You could stop for the night in Westmeath in a B&B and have a few pints but not too many now!
    And then get the train back to Dublin from Longford on Sunday evening

I think I'll do this myself!

It's not too late and the canal might get cleaned before the Queens visit. Sadly, with people drinking cans during the summer it'll be a terrible state again by August
    I'd be interested to see how viable this option is!

The towpath is a bit rough in some spots so I'd advise a mountain bike to get over the worst spots. A few people cycled it when the boats where going along the canal so it's possible. Depending on the speed you cycle at and luggage weight it may take three days to do it at a leisurely pace. One/two days is certainly possible but might be too fast for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The towpath is a bit rough in some spots so I'd advise a mountain bike to get over the worst spots. A few people cycled it when the boats where going along the canal so it's possible. Depending on the speed you cycle at and luggage weight it may take three days to do it at a leisurely pace. One/two days is certainly possible but might be too fast for some.

Ah, I was hoping that it was surfaced sufficiently for a road bike, but if i were ever undertaking this i'd be happy to rent a decent mountain bike with saddlebags, etc

Boards outing anyone! :)

Start early on Saturday morning (and I mean 7am or 8am) and don't go mad drinking in Westmeath, I think you'd make the Shannon by Sunday afternoon and then after a rest just head back to Longford for the train Sunday evening

But yes, a mountain bike or at least a hyprid with the right tyres.
    No chance for a road bike on that towpath I'm afraid. Maybe one day the councils will tarmac it but hey, we waited 30 years for redevelopment at the Shannon section :(
    So you'll be waiting

• Advertisement
Advertisement