Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What action can I take now?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I rented a property in Dec 10 from a letting agent. The owner of the property is part of the building company who built the estate so they all own a few houses around the estate but as individuals.
    A friend of mine rents a house from one of the other builders and has had her garden maintained along with the common areas. My grass has not been cut since I moved in. It's a disgrace, I'm embarrassed by it but at the same time, I don't have a lawnmower and amn't eager to go and buy one just for this property.
    Anywhere I have rented before, I have maintained the lawns but a lawnmower has been provided.

I have also had a problem with the heating (it's working but there's a connecting problem) which I have reported to the landlord. initially he would send someone without notice and I would be in work and get a phonecall from an irate plumber who was standing at my door.
    I told the landlord I need notice if a workman was calling and I've heard nothing since December in relation to the problem with the heating. Emails to the letting agent and texts/calls to the landlord have gone unanswered.

Now there appears to be a wiring problem as a few switches have overheated and melted internally. Not safe really.

I've sent another stinker of an email to the letting agent but if the same thing happens (i.e. I get ignored) what can I do?

I said in the email I was going to hire my own people to fix the problems and deduct the amount from the rent. I had previously emailed the landlord and said I would hire my own people and forward him on the bill but he ignored me. I'm not hopeful about getting my money back if I do this so taking itout of the rent is the only way I will be sure of payment.
    I really do not want to do this as I don't want there to be hassle or ill feeling (I also said that in the email to the letting agent) but I am just so fed up of this crap.
    I'm a model tenant, I love where I live and I treat it like home. I pay the rent and bills on time. I don't smoke, I don't annoy the neighbours (though I'd say the garden is beginning to bug them!).

I just don't see what there is left for me to do at this stage.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write a calm, rational letter to them, outlining the problems and asking for a prompt response. Tell them if the issues aren't resolved in a reasonable timeframe (2 weeks?) that you will be a starting a complaint with the PRTB.

Its quite possible the landlord is broke and is incapable of rectifying things. You might have to consider moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

op we have the exact same issues with our landlord-letting agent. We were warned by neighbours to have everything in email and if wanted anything done urgently ring him 3 times a day. It suits us as he leaves us alone and never hear boo from him and we have got to a stage now where we will hound him with phone calls every hour until he arranges a solution. It can be annoying best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Does the contract include for loandlord cutting the grass or are you required to do it?? It he is responsible just keep rining him repeatedly -twice per day. or send a few letters. Dont bother with e-mails, these are a waste of time as they can be ignored forever, thats if he even checks his email. People will almost always answer a phone or open their post, it will work eventually.
    On the other hand if you are responsible for it as per contract, its a bit rich expecting him to be doing it for free.
    If dont have a mower, just ask one of the neighbours - If you spot any young lad out cutting the grass some day ask him if he's interested in earing a tenner.
    Sure it'd only take 10 minutes. Jaz, i'd do it for a 5er if i was asked by someone. They'd be right pricks to turn it down. when i was younger i earned a bit doin odd jobs like that. Whatever you do dont rent a mower as you'll be ripped off big time plus transporting the fukin thing in the car is king size pain in the fukin ass.
    Again the big thing, forget the e-mails, contact him via phone or post if you want an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It he is responsible just keep rining him repeatedly -twice per day. or send a few letters. Dont bother with e-mails, these are a waste of time as they can be ignored forever, thats if he even checks his email. People will almost always answer a phone or open their post, it will work eventually.
    Again the big thing, forget the e-mails, contact him via phone or post if you want an answer.

The OP needs to have proof of all communications for safety in moving forward. If making phone calls follow up with email "as per our conversation" and ask the landlord/agent to revert straight away if they disagree with the report of the conversation. Verbal promises are hard to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can you not simply move to another house in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I don't really want to move. Plus I have a fixed lease until the end of the year. The grass has begun being maintained. However the heating and shower still haven't been fixed.
    Will try another email.
    I know emails are easily ignored but I do prefer to keep track of things via email as I have written proof then as opposed to a he said/she said thing.

Email is fine. But follow it up with a phone call and a letter. Email might go into a spam filter, and never be seen. You can't rely on email. Thats avoiding the issue.

If the heating and shower have not been fixed, in a reasonable time frame, I think (its a guess) that breaks the lease. You should check with the PRTB. LL has an obligation to provide some form of heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

BostonB wrote: »
    Email is fine. But follow it up with a phone call and a letter. Email might go into a spam filter, and never be seen. You can't rely on email. Thats avoiding the issue.

If the heating and shower have not been fixed, in a reasonable time frame, I think (its a guess) that breaks the lease. You should check with the PRTB. LL has an obligation to provide some form of heating.

The heating itself is working, but has to be turned on and off manually which isn't a big deal really, more of an inconvenience as we are coming home to a cold house and waking up to a cold house. Not a problem in summer but not great in depths of winter.

My emails have been dealt with before. I have also sent texts, calls etc. Initially I used to ring but my voicemails were unanswered. So I tried texting and that worked for a while but were then ignored. So I stopeed contacting the Landlord directly and instead began calling and emailing the letting agent, who in turn contacted the Landlord. But now this isn't working either.

I don't see how me contacting them weekly is avoiding the issue :confused:
    I can't risk the deposit by leaving before the lease is up or refusing to pay the rent. I don't want a legal, lengthy battle either.

Because calls and emails are deniable.

If you don't want a battle, and don't want to move, go stand in their office till they do something about it. You have to annoy them till they do something.Your too easy to ignore by doing it at arms length.

Advertisement