Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to UK from Galway for work

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi looking for some advice as my husband has got a job in Prreston UK however they told him to get his National Insurance Number sorted before he goes over next week- he only found out he got the job last night.Any idea how he could get this done from Galway before he goes over.Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Don't know if he can to be honest. I think that you can get a temporary NI number granted but you may have to still visit a jobcentre office to get that.

Have a look at this site, particularly this bit:
    When starting work or setting up as self-employed

If you're looking for work, starting work or setting up as self-employed you will need a National Insurance number. If you have the right to work in the UK, you will need to telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643 (lines are open 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday) to arrange to get one. They may require you to attend an 'Evidence of identity' interview - see the section 'What happens when you apply for a National Insurance number'.

Although you need to have a National Insurance number to start work you don't need to have a plastic National Insurance number card.

If you're a non-UK citizen and want to find out whether you have the right to work in the UK, see the link below 'Documents you will need before you can work in the UK'. The other two links below explain how you'll pay tax and National Insurance when working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

tysonc80 wrote: »
    Hi looking for some advice as my husband has got a job in Prreston UK however they told him to get his National Insurance Number sorted before he goes over next week- he only found out he got the job last night.Any idea how he could get this done from Galway before he goes over.Thanks for any advice
    first of all,let me welcome you to lancashire,[my part of the world]the natives are nice and friendly,its just a few miles from blackpool,the lake district and the dales.some help and information can be found on line,on the websites of the english based irish newspapers,the irish post,and irish world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

tyscon80, one of the first things he could do is to ring his new employer and get a letter confirming that he has accepted an offer of employment from them. Ask the employer to send the letter as a PDF to him so he can email it to jobcentre. He will definitely need his passport details to hand (passport number, date of birth, name as on birth certificate etc).

Having those things to hand might make things easier. If he's talking to someone on the phone, make sure he gets their name and an email address, also get a reference number, that way he can quote that in any emails.

Best of luck.

Advertisement