Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scam

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

heads up guys theres a scam around. if u have recieved a leaflet from hometec promotions in ur post beware.
    to be held in killeshin hotel, selling xbox 360s e40:rolleyes: etc, ye right.
    its a ploy to scam u of ur money see below as an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEDr14_q-wg&feature=player_embedded#

its been doing the rounds, they rent out a hotel function room and proceed to rob u blind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I don't know why / how hotels are renting rooms out to scam merchants like this.

Avoid at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

agreed max, very odd why they would tarnish their rep. the seven oaks did it a few years back too, i was there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

got a leaflet myself, obvious scam but they will catch people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

awww, I want a leaflet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Actually got that leaflet through the letterbox this week. One thing I was always told growing up is "if it looks to good to be true, then it usually is."

For those who did not get the leaflet.
    HOMETEC PROMOTIONS PRESENTS

SUPER SALE SUNDAY

Due to bad weather and over stocking through the christmas period a number of Irish retailers and major UK high street stores have instructed us to clear over €5,000,000 worth of household, electrical & audio visual stock
    NOW BEEN OFFERED DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC

A few things on the leaflet
    Audio/Video
    Canon Hi-Def 60GB HDD Camcorder
    €200
    Sony High Definition 120GB HDD Camcorder
    €50
    Sony 10mp DSLR with 18-55mm Lens
    €130
    Canon Flash Camcorder
    €60

Consoles
    Xbox 360
    €40
    PS3
    €55
    Games from €5

Computers
    Apple iPad
    €160
    Mac Book Pro Laptop 15" w. 2GB RAM
    €330
    HP 21.5" w. 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
    €180
    Sony VAIO 16.4" w. 4GB RAM
    €150

TVs
    Sony Bravia, Full HD 55" LCD
    €330
    Samsung Full HD 37" LED
    €250
    Sony Bravia Full HD 46" LCD
    €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I find it hard to feel sorry for people who are stupid enough to believe the prices on the leaflet.It's so obvious it's a scam how can people actually fall for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bad weather and overstocking during Christmas? ROTFL
    Why not flog it asap instead of waiting months ? :rolleyes:

mixed up wrote: »
    I find it hard to feel sorry for people who are stupid enough to believe the prices on the leaflet.It's so obvious it's a scam how can people actually fall for this?
    There are always people who are on the lookout for a 'bargain', or just curious, or honestly don't know when they're being ripped off. A friend of mine was all too keen to pay a street stall vendor his asking price of €100 for a €20 watch without any haggling. Luckily other friends were there to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

slimjimmc wrote: »
    A friend of mine was all too keen to pay a street stall vendor his asking price of €100 for a €20 watch without any haggling.

I can't believe people are that stupid,I also doubt the watch was worth €20 probably €5 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

There was a scam going on in Kildare (probably Carlow too) for a while over a laptop. The seller would show the potential buyer a savage laptop for a bargain price, buyer would end up buying it, then when at home and opened it found four litres of milk in the box. Crazy but they managed to scam alot of people.

Back on topic, strange that the killeshin would rent the room out for such an event and not know what was going on. However, saw on bargain alerts a while ago that xtra-vision had one of these sales at knock down prices, can't remember the venue, the overall consensus was that it was okay, loads of people at it so ye had to be there early but then again xtra-vision are reputable.

All in all, HOMETEC PROMOTIONS = total scam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

You should have reported this to the guards but it is probably too late now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There was a scam going on in Kildare (probably Carlow too) for a while over a laptop. The seller would show the potential buyer a savage laptop for a bargain price, buyer would end up buying it, then when at home and opened it found four litres of milk in the box. Crazy but they managed to scam alot of people.

Back on topic, strange that the killeshin would rent the room out for such an event and not know what was going on. However, saw on bargain alerts a while ago that xtra-vision had one of these sales at knock down prices, can't remember the venue, the overall consensus was that it was okay, loads of people at it so ye had to be there early but then again xtra-vision are reputable.

All in all, HOMETEC PROMOTIONS = total scam

The laptop thing is definitely a scam and very illegal, it has been well publicised on cop shows on British TV for quite a few years.

The Hometec thing is most likely an auction, they may well have items for sale at that price but, as it's an auction, prices will fluctuate (i.e. only go up). They'll probably sell of a few good items to 'genuine' customers for a knock-down price in order to whip up a frenzy, then up the price.
    Unethical and dubious but yet to be proven illegal afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sinjim

There was one of these yesterday in the radisson airport, got me an ipad 64gb wi fi for €275, and a tom tom satnav for €60, nothing dodgy about either both working perfect and if you look them up there actually called T4B imports based in carlow they been there years apparently. Was very wary to begin with just went up for a nose really but i'll deffo go back again

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

they have one of them sales once a year where I live in the local community center there is nothing wrong with the goods. that scam in the youtube video is totally different from these sales

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

These are auctions and the price advertised is probably the starting bid. I used to work for a past incarnation of this company. They are around at least 15 years in some shape or form. There are bargains to be got but make sure you check anything you buy before you leave. Get them to plug in the devices and show you it working before you walk out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

BBC used to air a programme on this scam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Hustle

Advertisement