Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using lawn feed, moss and weed killer in wet weather

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm under pressure to use lawn feed, moss and weed killer on the garden ASAP. The instructions on the box say that it should be applied when the grass is dry which ain't going to be the case till at least next week. But does anyone know if it might be okay to put the stuff on in wet weather - presumably any rain just helps dissolve the pellets quicker into the soil? I think the manufacturers might just be worried about people getting chemicals on themselves when spreading the pellets if they do it in wet weather. Also, anyone know for certain if these lawn weed killers generally kill off thistles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'd be inclined to follow the instructions. The reason is that if the grass if wet the chemicals will stick to the plants and scorch them, instead of getting down to the soil and washing in.

Is it raining where you are? Ideally you would do it in the evening when the grass is dry and there is little wind, but rain is forecast soon. If there is to be no rain then you would need to water it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Am down south, so lots of wind and rain till next week at least I'd say! What you were saying makes sense alright about not putting it on when the grass is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You're lucky if you have plenty of rain. Bone dry up in Dublin, not good for the grass. Plenty of time for you to fertilise so don't sweat it. First good dry day, do it after the sun has gone down.

Advertisement