Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Advice

Options
  • 04-05-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking at taking up a bit of fishing again as it's been years. I was thinking of somewhere just outside the city along the bennettsbridge walk possibly?

So a few questions:

Are any of these areas I have to avoid (e.g. run by angling clubs)?
    Are permits required and if so where can I get one in town?
    Any experience of what bait to use for local trout (usual worms/maggots?)

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

rayc wrote: »
    Are any of these areas I have to avoid (e.g. run by angling clubs)?
    Are permits required and if so where can I get one in town?

If you're coarse fishing you don't need a permit as long as its on the opw tow paths , clubs might hold some stretches but are not allowed to charge people to fish from public land , game fishing(trout , salmon) is different and you do need a permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

zeds alive wrote: »
    If you're coarse fishing you don't need a permit as long as its on the opw tow paths , clubs might hold some stretches but are not allowed to charge people to fish from public land , game fishing(trout , salmon) is different and you do need a permit.

Sounds like he's asking about trout fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but in same vain, does anyone have any advice on where to catch good pike?

On the license issue, I can only speak for the Freshford area and you do need a license from the local club to fish around there.

The fishing shop, hook like and sinker is gone now, but i have heard that the guy that ran it still has all types of bait if you can get him.
    I dont have his number, but i can try find it if you need OP.
    Would probably be the best person for advice on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I think Carlow is good for pike. No pike in Kilkenny afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Its was all free to fish from the weir out the back of Aut Even hospital to out past the ring road bridge up to the old saw mills at Britts. That includes the river under the castle. You'll need a license to fish for samon but trout is free.
    Don't forget the private lakes at Castlecommer where you pay €20???? for the fishing but there's big trout in the lakes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement