Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Natural method" of contraception - am I likely to get pregnant?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not exactly trying to conceive just yet, but I thought I'd post this here as you ladies seem to have lots of knowlege about the whole process! Hope that's OK.

Basically, my husband and I have decided we'll start trying for a baby fairly soon. I went off the pill a year ago, and luckily enough my periods settled back to normal fairly quickly (I haven't been keeping track all that closely, but it tends to be a pretty regular 30 day cycle, plus or minus a day or two.) For the first six months after going off the pill we used condoms, but recently we haven't been using them for the first 6-7 days of my cycle, as we both prefer it without.

We've decided to leave it til after Christmas to start actively trying to get pregnant - we're both quite young and healthy, and decided to leave it til then, in order to build on our savings a bit. Having said that though, if I were to become pregnant right now, we'd both be absolutely delighted, and we'd manage financially.

However it's gotten to the stage where we're both starting to get quite excited if my period is a day or two late, and then disappointed when it starts. We both agree that the sensible thing is to wait til next year to get pregnant, so we're going to stick with that plan.

I guess what I'm wondering is, if until then we continue with what we're doing (only having unprotected sex the first week in each month), is there any realistic chance of me getting pregnant? Or am I just being silly in getting my hopes up a bit?

Thanks ... :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

That depends on your age and your fertility.
    You could get preggers next month or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

Hi daisyduke,

i may be wrong but one doc said to me that days 8, 10 & 12 were the days to aim for when trying so i guess any time around those days would be the ones to avoid.

MrsB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Lets go back to basics...

Day 1 of your cycle is the day your period arrives. You would usually ovulate approximately 14 days before your period begins, so on a 30 day cycle this would be about day 16. Sperm can survive in you for approximately 5 days, so on a 30 day cycle you are effectively 'fertile' from day 11.

However, these are generalisations and every woman is very different, as can each month be different! Stress, illness, travel, lots and lots of things can delay ovulation or make it occur sooner. You could track your cycle and look for other signs of ovulation - rise in temperature, cervical mucous, cervical position, ovulations pains - to track when you ovulate. However, if you have been doing the deed in the 5 days prior to this, you could well concieve.

Basically, if you are having unprotested sex, you could get pregnant!

Hope this helps and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Crazy Cat Lady is spot on. If you're having unprotected sex you have a chance of getting pregnant. I remember being a teenager with my friend and both our mothers and an aunt. We were discussing contraceptives (both out families were very open about sex). My friends mother said, condoms were not fool proof, if the were my friend would only have a brother and not a brother and 2 younger sisters. My aunt said, that there was NO such thing as a safe period, she'd only have 2 children and not 5 if it truly existed.

I'll leave that one with ya, but as you said that when you do get your period you feel slightly disappointed, I don't suppose you'll worry too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Try charting your basal body temperature.
    Just measure you temp with a digital thermometer every morning before getting out of bed, do try aim for same time though.
    You can use an online tool like
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ to chart it.
    It's free. And by following graph it will tell you when you ovulate.
    It is best to try prior this day.

No fiddly kits or big expense except for the initial purchase of thermometer which you will need for bubs anyway.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement