Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm work: Full time V Part time/ Casual question

Options
  • 04-05-2011 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

The following (below) says that Full time workers can count weekends off as part of their 88 days, while casual or part time can only count the days actually worked.

I will only have 3.5 months to do my 3 months when I come back from travelling and am considering getting 7 days in before I go travelling to ease the pressure a bit.

However if I was to split my farmwork into 2 parts (7 days and 81 days) would this then make me part time with respect to the 81 days of work?

For example suppose I got the 7 days work done before I went travelling then I came back and worked the other 81 with the one farm working 5 full days a week, with weekends off (if considered the norm for the industry) would these 81 days count as full time for me, or would I only be classified as part time because I didnt do the full 88 with one farm, and so as a result get stung with only being allowed to count the days I actually worked?

I've searched the net left right and centre for info on this and I cant seem to find what "Full time" actually means.

Thanks

How to calculate specified work
    'Three months' means three 'calendar' months or 88 days. Work can be:

•in one block with one business
    or
    •in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses. Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work.
    One full day of work is defined as having worked a minimum number of standard hours for a particular industry. You cannot count a long day of work as more than one day of specified work. For example, if your industry’s standard day is six hours long, working a twelve hour day does not count as two days of specified work.

Full time workers may include weekends in calculating the number of days worked.

Applicants who work part time or on a casual basis can only count the full days actually worked. The shortest period that can be counted is one day of full time work (for any given industry).

Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by a workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can do it separate blocks.

Full time means simply full time work. Whatever is a normal working week for where you are working.
    Mostly 5 days a week, could be 4, could be 6.
    Could even be 2 weeks on, 1 week off (which counts as 21 days)
    It just means the standard week (its nothing to do with a visa, its the same for all employment)

Advertisement