Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My busfare-saving log.

• 04-05-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've decided to risk embarrassment by making some goals public. This seems to be the place to do it :)

Background:
    Male, mid 40s, 6ft, 15st
    Commuting on and off for the last 4/5 years. Last year was very poor though. Never really got into it due to lifestyle and injuries. Commute is 10 or 11 miles each way depending on minor route variations.
    I decided to cut down/out unhealthy habits and start running and cycling again. That was in January 2010. I finally got around to it on Paddy's Day 2011. The running fell by the wayside fairly quickly once I found that I preferred exercise you can do sitting down..

Goals: Get fit and save busfare. Do some long distance cycling for leisure.

Progress: I started commuting on a hybrid (Trek 7.1) and was completely wrecked at first. It was taking 55 minutes each way, but I have managed to improve.
    I started to keep a log on RunKeeper at the outset, and I'm glad I did. It provides a small degree of motivation. Every bit helps.
    http://runkeeper.com/user/dribble/profile
    I was reminded of the bike to work scheme and decided to take it up a couple of weeks ago. So I went and got a Ridley Eos. 1_middel_eos_1008a_-_catalogue.gif.v=1
    I immediately found a huge difference. Less comfort and more speed. It's my first proper bike ever and I'm still getting used to it. I decided to complicate things further by changing the pedals to those click-in jobbies. They cause minor improvements in the speed and falling-off departments.

So anyway, this is where I intend to write the story of how I converted myself from a lazy ****e into something resembling a cyclist.

P.S. Busfare saved to date: €101.20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Great story, keep it up. Practice unclipping one foot before you stop or when you see a hazard that is likely to cause you to stop.
    Your flexibility and comfort should improve with time and at worst you might need a different saddle. If you can get an experienced cyclist to observe you cycling they may be able to give you some advice on your set up that will improve comfort also.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RT66 wrote: »
    Goals: Get fit and save busfare. Do some long distance cycling for leisure.

Good luck with this

Mid forties - there's plenty of time for us to make you into a racer then;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Nice work. What's your avg commuting time now, from 55 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

christeb wrote: »
    Nice work. What's your avg commuting time now, from 55 mins?

Hovering around 38/39 mins. Have recently taken to the scenic route though, which adds four or five miles and brings me back up to 55 mins. Will probably hit the original route again next week to see if there's any improvement.
    The scenic route has less traffic/lights etc so it's perfect while I get used to clip-on shoes.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

So how has the cycling affected your life besides from being €101 richer!

• Advertisement

So how has the cycling affected your life besides from being €101 richer!

Let me see..
    I've got my childhood freckles back, lost a few pounds, gained sore muscles, improved my appetite, sleep better, feel healthier, take less time to commute and I now know what cleats are.
    Aside from that I'm beginning to ponder some challenges to add to my "goals to achieve" list. So I have more things to look forward to as well. It's not a bad start really...

This week wasn't too bad at all. I was off work so I didn't save any busfare, but I did get to go out 5 times for a total of 274km. Yearly total: 1270km. Average speed seems to be hovering around the 26km/h mark.
    Mon: 49km
    Tue: 39.5km
    Wed: 39.5km
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 45.5km
    Sat: 100.5km
    Sun: Rest
    Achievements: 1st group spin and longest distance on Saturday.
    Goals: Thinking of having a go at the maracycle next month, so need to work on distances.
    To-do list: Buy a helmet.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

That all sounds so positive! Sounds like your healthier, happier and wiser (re cleats) keep up the good work!

Another interesting week. Going to rest tomorrow so the cycling week is over for me.
    Mon: 36.5km commute
    Tue: 51km commute
    Wed: 51km commute
    Thurs: 45km commute
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 150km inc. 100km sportive

Total distance this week: 333.5km
    Yearly (since Paddy's Day): 1604km
    Achievements: Longest distance in a week. Longest distance in a day, got a helmet at last :)

Stuff:
    Went on my arse on College Green last Monday. Doing the "too cool for school" balancing act as I waited for a light to change...a lady walked across my front wheel..couldn't get out of the pedal in time. Slightly embarrassing.
    Did the Garda Cycling Club 100km sportive today. Out from Islandbridge to Hill of Tara and back to Islandbridge. Cycled in gently to get warmed up and cycled home afterwards for a total of 150km. Of course it pissed rain most of the way. Got a puncture after a few kilometers and lost the main group. Missed the effort reduction which goes along with being in the group.
    Cycling back across town I had a spill. Some things are in dispute, but the bits that aren't are as follows..
    I was cycling in the cycling lane (at aound 25km/h).
    2 pedestrians were trying to flag a taxi.
    Taxi just ahead of me didn't stop, kept going.
    I kept going.
    Taxi behind and to my right pulled across cycle lane to kerb, ahead of me, and stopped.
    I hit brakes and road. Ended up under the back of his car.
    Right shoulder and elbow are sore, but was able to cycle my remaining 15km.

All in all an interesting week's cycling. Roll on next week!

Nearly forgot.. Busfare saved this week: €18.40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

All in all an interesting week's cycling.

To say the least! Hope the injuries aren't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Cool log

Hope you're ok after your accident. You're weekly mileage is good but make sure every 4th or 5th week is a rest week with reduced mileage or you might get burnt out.

Keep up the good work

To say the least! Hope the injuries aren't too bad.
    Thanks, they're not too bad. Bruising to leg, arm and shoulder. Can't raise my right arm without pain, but have tablets for that :) Could have been worse..

chakattack wrote: »
    Cool log

Hope you're ok after your accident. You're weekly mileage is good but make sure every 4th or 5th week is a rest week with reduced mileage or you might get burnt out.

Keep up the good work

Thanks. Good advice there, and timely too. I think I'll make this week the rest week. Going to commute on the hybrid and take the more direct route.

Rest week this week, so lowered mileage and effort.
    Mon: 18.3km commute
    Tue: 17.8km commute
    Wed: 42.6km commute
    Thurs: 16.1km commute
    Fri: 25km commute
    Sat: 52.3km commute
    Sun: 51.2km commute
    Weekly total: 223km.
    Yearly total: 1,827km
    Busfare saved: €23 (Yearly total: €142.60)

Stuff:
    Still in a bit of a mess after last week's crash. Right shoulder and elbow particularly sore. Less confident as a result. I don't want injuries on my injuries.
    The wind has been playing havoc with every spin this week, and this morning was just scary. Still, this wind can't last forever...can it?
    I bought a Garmin Edge 500 during the week. Stuff like that appeals to my inner geek. Still haven't read the manual so I haven't a clue what I'm doing with it. It appears to work all the same. My average cadence seems to be around 77rpm, which is possibly nice to know.
    While I was buying the garmin I picked up a couple of tubes and some CO2 bottle thingies, which I was glad of today when I had another puncture. My tyres look like they might need to be replaced. They are a month old I suppose..
    Anyway, I managed a whole week without falling off the bike. Not something to be sniffed at. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Still haven't read the manual so I haven't a clue what I'm doing with it.
    Don't worry about that - I suspect most of us educate ourselves about these things more by trial an error than reading the manual
    My tyres look like they might need to be replaced. They are a month old I suppose..

Not sure if you are being serious, but your tyres should last many thousands of km - do you regularly check your tyres for foreign objects? Do you use puncture resistant tyres?

Anyway, keep up the good work, and don't let the crash get to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

those are massive distances you're putting in weekly from a pretty much zero start, well done. :)

Beasty wrote: »
    Not sure if you are being serious, but your tyres should last many thousands of km - do you regularly check your tyres for foreign objects? Do you use puncture resistant tyres?

I'm semi-serious. The tyres are the ones that came with the bike (Vredestein Fortezza 700x23) and the rear has lumps missing. It'll last a while longer, but I'll be replacing it sooner rather than later I think. They have about 1,100-1,200 km on them, and I hadn't been checking for foreign objects, so it's not too bad.
    Will need to do some research on tyres with puncture resistance, and grip..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Great log, and well done on racking up some serious distance. Out of interest, in your first post you mentioned that the changeover from hybrid to drop bar road bike gave you more speed but less comfort. Any improvement on the comfort side of things? (I ask this as a mid 40s 6ft 13st bloke on a hybrid myself, who likes his comfort)

smacl wrote: »
    Great log, and well done on racking up some serious distance. Out of interest, in your first post you mentioned that the changeover from hybrid to drop bar road bike gave you more speed but less comfort. Any improvement on the comfort side of things? (I ask this as a mid 40s 6ft 13st bloke on a hybrid myself, who likes his comfort)
    Thanks,

I find the racer much more comfortable now than I first did, and going out on the hybrid feels less comfy/more awkward now. I'm a stone lighter than when I started, which probably helps a bit. I think it was just a case of getting used to it, to be honest.
    My 150km spin on the 14th involved nearly 6 hours in the saddle, but comfort wasn't really much of an issue. At some stage in the future I'll probably start looking at getting the bike set up to suit me properly, but it's not a big priority just now.

On the differences between the two types of bike, overall I'd say comfort is way down the list. The road bike is lighter and faster, so factoring in how to stop becomes a bigger issue, particularly in built-up areas and especially in the wet. On a road bike you're more likely to use clip-in shoes as well, which also adds speed. It also adds an obstacle to your safety if you need to stop suddenly. I've ended up on my arse 3 times in the last month. The last time I fell off a bike prior to that was over 20 years ago.

So currently my issues are shoes/pedals, tyres and brakes. Basically safety issues. I find the bike comfortable enough that I'd happily go anywhere in this country on it, and I'm starting to ponder some epic solo journeys. :D

An uneventful week, which is no bad thing at times. :)

Mon: Rest
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: 51km commuting.
    Fri: 51km commuting
    Sat: 48km commuting
    Sun: 59km commuting

I've been taking the long way around going in and out of work mostly and I'm finding that it's working out well for me. If I'm under time pressure I can go direct, but it's generally not happening. The wind was driving me bananas at the beginning of the week so I took the opportunity to rest.
    I had another puncture on Thursday, so will probably be changing the tyres this week.
    On the physical side of things, my shoulder and arm are still quite sore but slowly improving. Leg and back muscles have stopped complaining about the sudden onslaught of mileage I've thrown at them, so maybe I'll have to start putting the occasional hill session into the mix.
    Didn't get a long one in this week, so will try to make amends for that in the next week.

Weekly Total: 209km
    Annual total: 2,036km
    Busfare saved: €18.40 (Yearly total €161)

• Advertisement

A good week's work this week. I made a couple of changes to my way of doing things. I came down off the big ring to bring up my cadence. This appears to have worked well, bringing my rpm up into the low 80s while leaving pace undamaged.
    Friday was a rest day, so I took the opportunity to get the bike fitted. I'm much happier with the way the bike is set up now. My saddle had been far too low (4cm lower than it should have been) and I now have orthotics in my shoes to help keep my bandy knees in line. The only part of the fitting I might reverse is the saddle angle. It's tilted downward more than before, and I found it uncomfortable on yesterday's long spin. Will give it a week and tilt it back if there's no improvement.
    To top off the week I joined the 9.15am group from Swords CC yesterday morning for a lovely spin in the sun out around NCD, Meath and Louth. Met some familiar faces among them that I hadn't realised were cyclists. A nicer bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet.
    All in all, an enjoyable week in the saddle.

Mon: 50km commuting
    Tue: 36km commuting, 40.5km leisure.
    Wed: 50.5km commuting
    Thurs: 57km commuting
    Fri: 8km to LBS and back.
    Sat: 101km

Weekly Total: 343km
    Yearly Total: 2,379km
    Busfare saved: €18.40 (Yearly €179.40)

I missed out on a minor detail. Changed the rear tyre this week as well. Ribmo now instead of Fortezza. The fortezza was in bits. Lumps taken out of it and cuts/slices all over the place. 1,600km is all I got out of it. Hopefully the new one will fare better.

This week was all about putting some mileage in, although I did also go up Howth a couple of times to see where the TT route was. Working away from my usual place robbed me of 4x25km journeys, but I made up for it elsewhere. Saturday was a really nice day and I joined the Swords 9.15 group for a spin up to Tara, after which I cycled the scenic route to work. I had intended going to try meet the 8.30 group at Blake's Cross, but Friday night beer put paid to that idea. I wasn't hungover or anything, just didn't get up in time. :o
    Today was ok in the morning, but coming come out the coast was miserable. The worst day I've been on a bike this year by a long way. I'm just glad I hadn't done something silly like signing up for the W200.
    I ended up not adjusting my saddle as it's not causing me any discomfort. Last week was probably about not being used to it.
    All is good. No crashes, no punctures.

Mon: 25km commuting
    Tue: 36km commuting with Howth detour
    Wed: 62km commuting with Howth detour
    Thurs: 18km commuting
    Fri: 25km commuting
    Sat: 131km, group spin & commuting
    Sun: 50km commuting

Weekly Total: 348km
    Yearly Total: 2,727km
    Busfare saved: €23 (Yearly €202.40)

I'm very happy with how this week went. For a start I've just completed my highest weekly mileage. I also had my fastest spin on the bike, and to top it off I had 2 boardsie sightings. No punctures or accidents either.
    I bit the bullet and met with the 8.30am Saturday group from Swords CC. I had the pleasure of meeting Inquitus and my 1st sighting of a boards jersey. I wasn't sure I'd be able to stay with them and expected to be dropped somewhere around the Naul. Fortunately, for me that is, there were 2 punctures among the group and I was able to rest my legs. The pace of the group was fine for me, but the hills I found tough going. Hills are going to have to start making regular appearances in my training I think. My highlight of the week was the hell for leather pace the group took the airport perimeter at, and my being able to stay close enough to the front. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93105960
    I topped off the week by joining the ISPCC Bray-Howth-Bray cycle in a marshalling capacity. I couldn't do the full distance as I had to be in work this morning so I joined them at Sandymount and went out to Howth and back to Bray (with a Cookie Monster sighting on the way for good measure). Took the scenic route home to bring me over the 400km mark for the week.

Mon: Rest.
    Tue: 50km commuting
    Wed: 50km commuting
    Thurs: 50km commuting
    Fri: 50km commuting
    Sat: 75km with Swords CC
    Sun: 127km (commuting + ISPCC charity cycle)

Weekly total: 402km
    Yearly total: 3,129km
    Busfare saved: €23 (Yearly €225.40)

Another reasonably good week.
    I went to Bog of the ring on Wednesday evening to see the Swords CC race. Weather was a bit crap. Punctured on the way over, and again the following morning while commuting so I replaced the front tyre.
    Had a nice spin out around NCD with the Swords CC 9.15 group on Saturday with a stop in the Naul for tea and scones :)
    Today I did the Swords CC Tour. Well organised, with a big group traveling at a nice pace. The tea-stop at the Boyne was lovely. Sandwiches and tea in the sun. A very well chosen spot, so kudos to whoever picked it. I went on the 150km route and tried to stay with the leading group, but got dropped after 95km or so when we hit the hills. Finished out at my own pace, with a stop for a 99 in Rush :D

Tue: 40km incl. Hill of Howth
    Wed: 26km
    Thurs: 51km commuting
    Fri: 51km commuting
    Sat: 85km
    Sun: 152km Swords CC Tour

Weekly total: 405km
    Yearly total: 3,534km
    Busfare saved: €9.20 (YTD €234.60)

Monthly report, which I've just figured out how to extract from Garmin, for June.

Count: 52 Activities
    Distance: 1,582.94 km
    Time: 61:26:31 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 5,462 m
    Avg Speed: 25.8 km/h
    Avg Bike Cadence: 80 rpm
    Calories: 69,261 C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Monthly report, which I've just figured out how to extract from Garmin, for June.

Nice month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:eek: Jebus :eek:

well done!

On a side note....can anyone recommend a soothing ointment? :o

• Advertisement

I decided to take it easier this week as I felt sore and tired after last week's exertions, particularly the Swords tour. I should probably have rested on Monday, but decided to leave resting until the end of the week. My theory was that I would take it handy while commuting, and not get involved in any commuter racing. Theories are grand..
    Anyway, I rested Friday and Saturday. Saturday was difficult as it was such a lovely day, but my leg muscles were still complaining so they got their rest.
    Today I went over to Swords to join the 9am spin which went out around Maynooth & Kilcock. Nearly got taken out of it by a car while doing the work up front, but I've got a note of the registration. Loads of room but the genius decides to buzz the group. He came within an inch or two of taking me out, so I suppose whatever point he was trying to make means a lot to him. I intend to find out.
    As it was such a lovely day I succumbed to temptation and went out again after dinner for a spin up around Howth.
    All in all a good week. Kept it upright and had no puncture/mechanical dramas. :cool:

Mon: 50km Commuting
    Tue: 54km Commuting
    Wed: 59km Commuting
    Thurs: 51.5km Commuting
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 137.5km

Weekly mileage: 352km
    Yearly mileage: 3,886km
    Busfare saved: €18.40 (YTD €253)

Another enjoyable week on the bike. Just one puncture, and it happened close enough to home that it didn't matter. I've ordered a 53T ring to replace the 50T that came with the bike, and I'm getting the stem shortened by 1cm at the same time. We shall see how that works out.
    I was a bit bold on Monday. I was tight for time going to work so had to go the direct route. Just before Fairview on the Malahide Rd I spotted 2 guys commuter racing ahead of me. The guy in front on a racer doing a decent pace, and the guy on his wheel was on a hybrid. I sat spectating well behind until the 5 lamps, where the hybrid jumped the lights and raced down the road to take the chequered flag...or so he thought for one tiny moment. Had an idiot grin on me for a while after that. Not so much for the commuter racing nonsense as for the fact that I was feeling strong. It's a nice feeling.
    The rest of the commuting week was uneventful. I've taken to using standing starts from the lights as an unstructured training tool of sorts, but have deliberately slowed down my general speed in built-up areas while trying to compensate by increasing it on the open road. I read on here where someone mentioned stopping at lights and then sprinting to overtake all the cyclists who ran them. This I've been trying and I can vouch for it being enjoyable.
    On Thursday I went for a spin up Howth Hill with a friend and Friday was a rest day.
    Saturday went for a spin with the lads and ladies from Swords CC out around Meath, with a tea-stop in Trim. It was a lovely day, with long sunny spells and light winds. However, the peloton was attacked by unrestrained dogs on 3 occasions and we had one faller as a result. Obviously we could do without that sort of thing.. I wonder can you get handlebar-mounted high-pitched dog-scaring thingies?
    Anyway, that was the week that was. Next week will be quieter as I'll be away somewhere sunny resting my legs and exercising my elbow. :)

Mon: 41.5km Commuting
    Tue: 50.5km Commuting
    Wed: 50km Commuting
    Thurs: 45km
    Sat: 168.5km (118.5 spin, 50km Commuting)
    Sun: 50km Commuting

Weekly mileage: 405km
    Yearly mileage: 4,291km
    Busfare saved: €23 (YTD €276)

Edit #2: I forgot my biggest achievement. I found out during the week that I was in a class of cyclists known as clydesdales (6ft and over + 200lbs and over). I lost that status over the weekend when I dropped a few pounds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Congratulations on the shift in class :)

Where did you find out about the classes of cyclists? I wouldn't mind having a read through all the different ones!

Congratulations on the shift in class :)

Where did you find out about the classes of cyclists? I wouldn't mind having a read through all the different ones!

Thanks,

I found it going through old posts while researching gear ratios, and something caught my eye about parts only being rated up to certain weights.
    From googling it would appear to be a class in some MTB races which allows your average Yank to compete :D
    They even have websites and websites dedicated to it.

A rest week as I'm on holidays.

Mon: 40km spin around Howth
    Tue: 51km commuting
    Thurs: Cerveza & Tapas
    Fri: Cerveza & Tapas
    Sat: Cerveza & Tapas
    Sun: Cerveza & Tapas

Weekly mileage: 141km
    Yearly mileage: 4,432km
    Busfare saved: €9.20 (YTD €285.20)

Another quiet week due to holidays and work. Hopefully I can get back to some sort of routine from tomorrow.

Mon: Holidays
    Tue: Holidays
    Wed: Holidays
    Thurs: 43km commuting
    Sat: Rest (not by choice)
    Sun: 25km commuting

Weekly mileage: 93km
    Yearly mileage: 4,525km
    Busfare saved: €9.20 (YTD €294.40)

• Advertisement

Another quiet week. No mechanicals/punctures so happy enough. Changed the big ring from 50T to 53T, so took a couple of trips out around Howth on Tuesday to try it on the descent. Legs were complaining on Wednesday. Went for a nice spin around North County Dublin on Friday evening, stopping for refreshments in Skerries. Very pleasant. Legs were a bit tired afterwards so rested for the weekend.

Tue: 98km
    Fri: 53km

Weekly mileage: 301km
    Yearly mileage: 4,826km
    Busfare saved: €13.80 (YTD €308.20)

Garmin data for July 2011:
    Count: 36 Activities
    Distance: 1,068.36 km
    Time: 41:00:02 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 3,501 m
    Avg Speed: 26.1 km/h
    Avg HR: 111 bpm

Holidays and outside world (fishing mostly) played havoc with my cycling again this week, but I still managed to get out a couple of times. I went to Donegal on Tuesday and came home yesterday, so traveling messed with the schedule a bit. I did bring the bike with me though, and I got out a couple of times. The hills were a bit of a shock to the system. Tuesday's spin around Culdaff, Glengad, Malin Head, Malin, Carndonagh & Gleneally was lovely but the hills were savage. I'm a total novice when it comes to the hilly stuff so they nearly had me getting off and walking at times.
    I had a short spin on Thursday around Tremore Bay in Inishowen, an area I'd never explored before. Basically I just got off the main road and headed down some narrow lanes to see where they would lead. For my 1st time ever I had no option but to stand on the pedals. I normally stay seated 100% of the time, but I found myself going up a neverending hill which I absolutely had to stand up for. Looking at the data afterwards on Strava it would appear that the grade was around 10.5% at one point near the start of the climb. :eek:
    I also had a newbie-type fall on the same spin. Coming down a severe descent I had to stop because I could see a car approaching the bottom of the hill and there wasn't enough room to do downhill speeds past it. Stopped and freed my right shoe as I normally do....but the camber of the road was drifting to left. Ended up on my arse in a hedge. :o
    After the climb out of Tremore Bay I found myself on the brakes as the descent reached a grade of -15% on it's way to a T junction!!! This was the moment I learned that I was not made to descend rapidly. Just as I approached the junction I got off and walked. The grade, combined with the gravel that seems to be shoveled freely onto Donegal's roads, meant that it wasn't safe to cycle it. All the same, I'll be back..

Mon: 42km commuting
    Tue: 64km around the Malin Head area.
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: 27km around some big hills
    Sun: 63km commuting and hill of Howth.

Weekly mileage: 196km
    Yearly mileage: 5,022km
    Busfare saved: €9.20 (YTD €317.40)

A nice week on two wheels for me this week. Started off with a wind-assisted 9.37 on the Howth climb on Monday, then met two boardsies (kemase & cdaly_) on my commutes during the week. Did 42km with kennyb3* on Saturday morning, but couldn't stay the pace longer than that so went home for a cup of tea. Suitably refreshed I went to Swords and did 83km with the 9.15 group. Finished off the week with an extended commute for a weekly total of 410km, which I'm happy with. My legs feel a little bit tired, but nothing too bad.

*Lusk Doyle started out with us, but came to grief in Malahide. On the plus side, when faced with the choice of hitting me or kennyb3 he chose wisely. :)

Mon: 35km spin to Howth & back
    Tue: 43.5km commuting
    Fri: 50km commuting
    Sat: 125km
    Sun: 56.5km commuting

Weekly mileage: 410km
    Yearly mileage: 5,432km
    Busfare saved: €23 (YTD €340.40)

Nearly all commuting this week, and no long run. :( Did a commute in to work at 2.30am on Tuesday, which felt a bit strange. Took the opportunity to try out a potential winter route. Nothing much else interesting happened during the week.
    Then came the weekend.. I got to go to Sundrive Rd velodrome on Saturday for training/accreditation and had an absolute blast. First time on a track bike, first time on a track and first time on a fixed-gear bike. I think I might be in love...been googling Fuji Track Classics all day as a possible entry into all this fun, or maybe a Dolan Track Champion, or a Ridley Oval? Either way, my wallet will definitely be lighter as a result of this surprisingly fun day.

Tue: 19km commuting (at night)
    Wed: 36km commuting
    Fri: 44km commuting
    Sat: 70km

Weekly mileage: 319km
    Yearly mileage: 5,751km
    Busfare saved: €25.30 (YTD €365.70)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Just out of interest, have you compared the money you are saving by not getting the bus, to the amount of money spent on this extremely expensive hobbie we have taken upon ourselves? :P

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, have you compared the money you are saving by not getting the bus, to the amount of money spent on this extremely expensive hobbie we have taken upon ourselves? :P

I'm trying really hard not to biggrin.gif
    The bike I got on the work scheme so it's nearly paid for itself already. I just need to keep cycling to help pay for the pedals, shoes, cleats, garmin, tools, giro jersey, bibshorts, shades, led lights, track pump, club subs, CI licence, tyres, tubes, chains, cassettes, bike fit and a year's supply of high 5 zero (berry).
    Which means I need to cycle through the winter.
    So then I'll be needing heavier shorts, base layers, waterproof jacket, overshoes, more lights, waterproof socks and a winter bike.
    It's bound to level out in the end, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

those are some serious distances you're posting!

wish i hadn't read this log now!

seriously though, fair play, you seem to be flying

G rock wrote: »
    those are some serious distances you're posting!

wish i hadn't read this log now!

seriously though, fair play, you seem to be flying

Thanks! I'm quite happy with how it's going at the moment. To be perfectly honest though, most of my mileage is down to laziness/routine. I know that might seem strange, but I can get in 250km per week just commuting. It's quicker than public transport so I get to stay in bed longer, and I don't have to run/wait for a bus. I don't have to plan journeys, which is important when you're as fundamentally lazy and disorganised as I am. :)

I may add suffering to the equation next year though..

All commuting, and no leisure runs this week :(
    So just 250km of commuting at avg 27kph.
    I forced myself to rest on Friday, and was too busy/lazy/hungover to go out on Saturday. I do think it was a good idea. My legs have stopped complaining at any rate.
    On the plus side, I got new wheels for the road bike, new pedals and saddle for the winter hack and I've gone over 6,000km for the year :)

Weekly mileage: 250km
    Yearly mileage: 6,001km
    Busfare saved: €23 (YTD €388.70)

Garmin data for August. There are a couple of spins missing where I forgot to use the gps, but nothing major.
    Count: 44 Activities
    Distance: 1,232.53 km
    Time: 46:29:41 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 3,611 m
    Avg Speed: 26.5 km/h
    Avg HR: 131 bpm

Work really screwed with my cycling this week. I had to go away for a couple of days midweek so missed out. Saturday was a rest day due to my being bold on Friday night. :(
    I changed the pedals on the road bike to SPDs and I'm now using my Lidl MTB shoes and finding them very comfy. I've ordered overshoes for the coming weather as well.
    Meanwhile, I've put the SPD-SL pedals on the hybrid. While I was at it I changed the saddle to Selle Italia XO. I'll be dumping the seatpost for something that isn't hydraulic/bouncy, and I've ordered 700x28c tyres to replace the 35mm ones it came with. A bit of a service and I'll have it as an option for when the weather gets really bad.

Tue: 25km commuting
    Wed: 25km commuting
    Thurs: Rest
    Sun: 86km

Weekly mileage: 211km
    Yearly mileage: 6,212km
    Busfare saved: €16.10 (YTD €404.80)

This week was a pain. I wanted to hit 500km for the first time, but lost a couple of miles on Wednesday, then took it easy on Friday in preparation for Into The West.
    Then ITW itself fell foul of the weather and I only ended up with 150km for the weekend instead of 300km. The return trip was called off due to high winds. At least we got the first half into the wind :)

Wed: 43km commuting
    Thurs: 50km
    Fri: 43km commuting
    Sat: 150km Into the west
    Sun: Rest I DON'T WANT REST!!!!
    ;)

This week's dilemma... Dolan Pre Cursa or Fuji Feather?

Weekly mileage: 336km
    Yearly mileage: 6,548km
    Busfare saved: €16.10 (YTD €418.60)

Here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

This week's dilemma... Dolan Pre Cursa of Fuji Feather?

Dolan Pre Cursa is a dedicated track bike. The Fuji looks to be more of an 'urban fixie' & while you could easily use it at the track, i doubt it'd be as stiff as the Dolan. I got the Pre Cursa in Wheelworx a few months back for €630. Very nice bike.

Dolan Pre Cursa is a dedicated track bike. The Fuji looks to be more of an 'urban fixie' & while you could easily use it at the track, i doubt it'd be as stiff as the Dolan. I got the Pre Cursa in Wheelworx a few months back for €630. Very nice bike.

I do know the right answer, just not sure if I'll do the right thing. Damn temptation!
    Seriously though.... I've seen the Fuji at €540 and that's turning my head. Waiting on a price back on the Dolan.

I do have a couple of queries about the Dolan, if you don't mind...
    How do you find it? Can you put a brake on it? And do you find that your toes hit the front wheel? I believe it's possible to get two different forks for it, one longer with brakes and no toe-overlap, and the other pure track. I'd love to race track, but would probably need to get there cycling by road, so a bit of a dilemma unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement