Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolours Appeared Overnight on Fassaugh Road, Cabra??

Options
  • 04-05-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I opened my curtains today on Fassaugh Road, Cabra, to see that every lamp-post on the road now had a relatively large tricolour flag hanging from it! These seem to have been put up overnight.

Does anyone know who/why they're there? Could this be connected to queenie's visit, or maybe the local GAA club? There are no signs up to give any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

An outbreak of spontaneous national fervour following the appearance of heavily medicated Eurovision winners elect Jedward on the Late Late on Friday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jillette

stovelid wrote: »
    An outbreak of spontaneous national fervour following the appearance of heavily medicated Eurovision winners elect Jedward on the Late Late on Friday night?

If only! Jedward, coming to lift Ireland double-handedly out of the recession. Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

i'd hazzard a guess that it could be to do with the 30th anniversary of the Death of Bobby Sands

IRE60 wrote: »
    i'd hazzard a guess that it could be to do with the 30th anniversary of the Death of Bobby Sands

Oh, that could indeed be it... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I highly doubt the queen is going to Cabra. lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Yes there is a black one on the corner as well, during the Hunger strikes they had black crosses hanging from the lampposts for each one that died.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

They appear all over the city. Usually under bridges and on lamposts. From what Im told there is some "Ireland for the Irish" crowd doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

No doubt the flags will be left up and will eventually become grey and tattered.

It would be nice if the people who claim to love the flag actually respected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Such a shame that the flag is hijacked by these people. See a tricolour and it's assumed it's something to do with the troubles. We need to qualify for a world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

From what Im told there is some "Ireland for the Irish" crowd doing it.
    If that's the case it's very sad. Hate that BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

And why not- she's welcome to call to my gaff- I'll give a cup of tea and a biscuit on my William and Kate memorial plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I imagine its about Bobby Sands...

I always laugh at the "hijacking" comments. The freestate hijacked that flag way back.

And why not- she's welcome to call to my gaff- I'll give a cup of tea and a biscuit on my William and Kate memorial plate.

While wearing nothing but a tricolor flag sarong;)

jillette wrote: »
    Whould that be sideways like on a flag pole or long ways and if so which colour would be down at the business end?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

I think it more than likely has something to do with Bobby Sands memorial. There are black flags too. I think it looks well. I mean the Tri colour on all the lampposts not the black flags. Should be kept up and maintained , its a nice bit of civic nationalism when we need it most.

No1J wrote: »
    Whould that be sideways like on a flag pole or long ways and if so which colour would be down at the business end?

You're putting way too much thought into this. And which end is 'the business end'??

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Who's wearing the tricolour sarong -me or her?

You're putting way too much thought into this. And which end is 'the business end'??

Go waha outa dat all you Fassa galls know which end, you just want me to talk durty to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Who's wearing the tricolour sarong -me or her?

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭creative100

The tricolours are erected to mark the route of a commemoration, in this case the parade to remember the 30th anniversary of the 1981 hunger strikes - not just Bobby Sands.

• Advertisement

The tricolours are erected to mark the route of a commemoration, in this case the parade to remember the 30th anniversary of the 1981 hunger strikes - not just Bobby Sands.

Thanks for the info - anywhere that I can find out more about this? Bit strange to have your road plastered with flags and no one even puts a flyer in your door to tell you why!

Thanks for the info - anywhere that I can find out more about this? Bit strange to have your road plastered with flags and no one even puts a flyer in your door to tell you why!

Unfortunately, the rally took place on Saturday afternoon. You have a good point on leaflets but generally what happens is that posters are erected, especially in city centre in the run up to the event to inform people.

The attendance from people this year was huge and its good to see that these men are not forgotten, thirty years on.

Anyone interested should like this page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/1981-Hunger-Strike/130947600294043

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

That's were you are wrong.
    Every house on the new cabra road was checked by the Gardai over the last few weeks.
    The queen is obvioulsy going from the Garden of Rememberance straight up the NCR , New Cabra road to Farmleigh.

So technically she is visiting Cabra :)

Unfortunately, the rally took place on Saturday afternoon. You have a good point on leaflets but generally what happens is that posters are erected, especially in city centre in the run up to the event to inform people.

The attendance from people this year was huge and its good to see that these men are not forgotten, thirty years on.

Anyone interested should like this page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/1981-Hunger-Strike/130947600294043

Thanks for all of your info. Perhaps next time posters could be put under the flags explaining what they are for? And I guess that if the event is over that the flags will be taken down soon, before they get 'tatty'?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    That's were you are wrong.
    Every house on the new cabra road was checked by the Gardai over the last few weeks.
    The queen is obvioulsy going from the Garden of Rememberance straight up the NCR , New Cabra road to Farmleigh.

So technically she is visiting Cabra :)
    DFA wrote:
    Tuesday, 17th May (all events from midday)

Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel

Arrival

Áras an Uachtaráin

Ceremonial welcome

Meeting with President and Dr. McAleese

Tree Planting Ceremony

Garden of Remembrance

Wreath Laying Ceremony

Trinity College

View Book of Kells

Reception in the Long Room

Wednesday, 18th May

a.m. Guinness Storehouse

“Windows” Tour of Dublin

Government Buildings

Greeted by the Taoiseach, Mr. Enda Kenny T.D.

p.m. Irish War Memorial Garden, Islandbridge

Wreath Laying Ceremony

Croke Park

Visit to stadium and meeting with Gaelic Athletic Association members

Dublin Castle

State Dinner

Thursday, 19th May

a.m. National Stud Kildare

Visit and meeting with industry representatives

Farmleigh House

Reception with members of Gaisce – The President’s Award (H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh only).

p.m. Dublin Venue (to be announced)

A celebration of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II’s State visit to Ireland hosted by the British Embassy.

Friday, 20th May

a.m. St. Patrick’s Rock, Cashel

Tour of St. Patrick’s Rock

p.m. English Market, Cork

Meet with traders

Tyndall National Institute, Cork

Visit research facility and reception

Cork Airport

Departure

ENDS
    20 April 2011

That wouldn't match the itinerary though. Jesus that'd be a pretty awful route to take too, much easier to go in through the park.

Thanks for all of your info. Perhaps next time posters could be put under the flags explaining what they are for? And I guess that if the event is over that the flags will be taken down soon, before they get 'tatty'?

You are more than welcome. The flags will be taken down and used again in other commemorations - they cost money! The posters in city centre are being taken down now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Rumors are that there are a few "extras" that are not on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I saw the same thing outside Abbeyfeale on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What was the attendance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

That wouldn't match the itinerary though. Jesus that'd be a pretty awful route to take too, much easier to go in through the park.

The gardai were all walking up and down the Navan road from the half way house to the M50 on Sunday checking bushes etc so she must going up that way for some reason.
    Maybe too much open space in the park to be able to police?

Advertisement