Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAINTENANCE

Options
  • 04-05-2011 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Myself and my wife split late last year and are in the early stages of trying to sort out our seperate lifes. Up until recently communications were very hostile and she was out to get for everything I had. The financial situation at the moment is as such

Wife:
    Rent 1000 pcm
    Weekly Maintenance 225 pw

On top of that then I cover her bills and my daughters creche
    and its all coming pretty close to 2500 pcm

Mine:
    Rent 850 pcm

and the little thats left after that I spend on food, bills, petrol.

This is starting to get draining and I'm walking away from the marriage in about 25,000 K worth of debt that I need to start clearing.

We really need for her to be getting the Lone Parent Allowance at least. If we could be in a situation where she gets that and I cover her rent we'd be doing OK. So we really need to get a maintenance order drawn up. When things were hostile we were both dealing with solicitors and couldn't work things out between ourselves. This was looking like a very pricey way to come to an agreement. As part of the legal process we needed affidavit's of means etc, and as I'm self employed needed 1 years audited accounts, statements from revenue, bank statements etc - at the moment the accounts are a mess.

Anyway since we've started communicating well again we need her to be getting the LPA - when she's applied for this they've told her they need a maintenance order before she can get this. We don't want to go back to the solicitors to have to do this as they're fleecing us everytime we see them. How can we go about getting a maintenance order drawn up in the cheapest way possible. Whats the best way to work it as far as what we say i give to her to recent the best possible benefit.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You don't need a solicitor to go to the family court and get maintenance orders.
    If you have an agreement and you are happy with the amounts for spousal maintenance and child maintenance you can both go in and represent yourselves.

Also if you have your children over night for at least 1 night of the year you can apply for lone parents tax credits yourself, and there is a tax allowance on espousal maintenance but but not child maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 florita

There is a new mediation service in Dolphin house family law court. Its a service that helps a mutually-acceptable negotiated agreement to be drawn up. I'm sure it would be adequate for the social welfare. I don't know about waiting times etc, but think its free. I wouldn't recommend going into the courts unless you really have to. It is a very very stressful environment, and you could both end up going there a few times a year if it becomes acrimonious (personal experience!). Once you start going to court, it never seems to end!

Here's a link about the mediation:
    http://www.sbpost.ie/businessoflaw/new-initiative-is-launched-for-family-disputes-53927.html

Advertisement