Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Qatar

Options
  • 04-05-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all, a job oppertunity came up in Doha, but I'm not sure if I should go or not, due to the closeness of Bahrain and the possiblity of the revolt there spilling over to Qatar. Does anyone know what is the situation on the ground in Doha? Is it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

antz182 wrote: »
    due to the closeness of Bahrain and the possiblity of the revolt there spilling over to Qatar.

Bahrain and Qatar are two very different countries. I live in Bahrain.

The population of Bahrain is around 70% Shia, 30% Sunni, with the latter running the country and containing all the power. The issue here is the Shia wanting a greater say in running the country and better opportunities. They don't want to overthrow the government or anything like that, totally different to what is happening in Libya/Yemen or what has happened in Tunisia and Egypt.

Qatar is something like 95% Sunni. It is an extremely wealthy country and it is very unlikely anything could kick off there due to the fact that the vast majority of the locals (a) have a very high standard of living and (b) are all of the same religion.

I have never actually been to Qatar, so I can't say what it is like on the ground, but it is quite different to Bahrain and in my humble opinion, most unlikely to have the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

There are no problems here as Qatar is a very wealthy country and the Qatari people are happy with all the benefits the Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani gives them.

Your life here will depend on your job and whether your single or married. Your job can give you an accommodation allowance or put you up in company accommodation. Your wage will be tax free and you should not accept the first offer, always negotiate (it's kinda expected here).

You'll need a car, there is no real public transport and taxis can be hard to find sometimes and have to be booked well in advance.

It's getting hotter here (it hit 38 Degrees today) and in the summer it'll hit over 50 Degrees :eek: so I'm told.

Advertisement