Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sister's hen party

Options
  • 04-05-2011 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi Ladies,

Ok conundrum....my sister is getting married in July; we are chalk and cheese. Now obviously I am very happy for her she has been with this guy for over 10 years but like I am just not the type to be getting excited over these things. I am actually quiet dreading it because I know what my mother and my sister are going to be like leading up to it (snapping everyone's head off!!)

Anyway that is beside the point, my difficulty is with the hen party...

My sister wouldn't be seen dead with a typical hen party L plate sign or furry bunny ears etc. We have totally different styles; I am the TOTAL opposite of her!! We get along fine but it is just now when it comes to getting the little details sorted for the hen party I have no idea what to get for it!? I would get most of the things for my hen but she is totally different to me.

I have looked on all the typical websites and it is all basically the sashes, head gear, willy straws (i really don't think she would be impressed if i got them). I was thinking of getting them badges with her picture on it saying it was her hen but to be honest that is the only thing I could find that I think she wouldnt object to. My problem is I dont want the hen to be dry as hell either!!

any ye ladies have any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi Pandas- I like the sounds of your sister! She sounds like I was for my hen. You can still have all the craic without willy straws, sashs, L plates and all that rubbish. Just have the fun night/weekend . Make a c.d. What's her favourite song? Get the girls together, book a recording studio for an hour(practice beforehand) and record the song. A fun, cool memory and c.d to treasure. What about pictures of her as a child, enlarged, hung around the place. Or compile a video of old clips.There's plenty of ideas without resorting to the usual tripe. best of luck. Enjoy it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

pandas wrote: »

any ye ladies have any ideas??

I would personally try and figure out what her personal perfect night would be and work from there. Have been on a few hen nights recently that were Hen Nights in name only, no willy paraphenalia, no Mr & Mrs quiz, no one wearing a belt of vibrators, because the bride-to-be just wasnt into that craic at all and they really weren't dry/boring nights. The couple of non-hen hens I was on involved cookery classes, a pj party & pony trekking (not all the same hen) and were fab. Just do whatever it is she loves and you can't go far wrong

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from TLL.

Maple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

OP, I am like your sister. I've always said if any of that sh!t gets pulled out at my Hen's, I'll go home. It's so tacky.

Just think about it as if you're organising a great night out for her. Pick a restaurant where she likes the food, club with her fave music, or even a daytime activity (paintballing, spa day, horse riding etc.). There are even a few farms you can stay on for a Hen party, which is unusual with no typical rubbish.

Also, make sure everyone in attendance knows not to bring willy shaped stuff/ feather boas/ strippers etc. It wll genuinely ruin her night so it's best to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Whats wrong with out out to dinner? or booking a pampering day at a spa and then out to dinner?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

we are going to the smallest of the Aran Islands (her choice) so basically it will be everyone in the one pub on the island with traditional kind of music I am guessing. There wont be much opportunity to go elsewhere if it sucks so I would say I will have to come up with something good to entertain everyone...

CD sounds like a good idea but she isn't really into music at all she likes chart stuff so it would vary from month to month. I have heard mention of a book of her life however we did those for our parents sixtieth birthdays so my mother got he idea to do one for each of us in turn so she has one already done of her life!!

Am I being a bit negative I'm afraid I am?? It just not my type of thing, I'm not a girly girl as such. I am trying my best though, I just wish it would be easier and she liked all that stuff and I could get it and have it all sorted rather than having to worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I agree with the other posters - you probably don't need to worry about much more!

You could do a quiz or something where you ask her fiance questions that she has to answer - something like that could be a bit of a laugh and a time filler.

Also I was at a hen where one of the BM's printed out a load of life sized funny pic of the fiance's head and stuck them to cardboard with a lollypop stick and everyone brought them around with them for the night - was funny for pics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Are you all staying in the same place, could you make a slideshow of photo's to show before you all head out? Or could you make place mats for the pub or restaurant with pictures of her??
    Does she like having her hair or make up done? Maybe you could arrange to have this done for her.
    Or maybe just ask can you decorate a small section of the pub, it doesn't have to be tacky, a few balloons, a small banner saying congrats, streamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

There's loads of options for a good hen if you don't like the "traditional" hen.

One of my sporty friends had a joint hen/stag paintballing day then went to individual dinner after (lads to a sports bar to watch a match and eat chicken wings and other manly things, we went to a lovely thai place).

Another very conservative friend had a "kitchen party" in her new house where we all came over, brought something for the kitchen as gifts (so that she got no rude stuff), then chilled in the garden for the night with loads of wine and take away.

My sister had a dinner and we got everyone to bring her a present that reminds them of her/a funny story of her. Only sentimental stuff, nothing bold :) it was very sweet- there were tears and laughter. We then headed off to a private room in a club with our own dancefloor and bar so we could have a boogie and giggle in privacy.

I love the idea of a night away in a nice hotel where you can get a swanky dinner, go to the bar after til late, then crash for the night. Easy, everything is taken care of, and it's just you and your mates (also the trip down is always a bit of a laugh if a load of you are on a bus/train). lots of places do hen deals that also involve use of the spas :)

As for the presents just tell people when you invite them- strictly no silly stuff, if they know your sister they'll know she won't be into it. And you can always say that there'll be older family members and future inlaws there so she doesn't want embarasment. However if someone insists I'd always suggest the fake wedding vale, it's cute and not too outragious.

Advertisement