Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting evicted

Options
  • 04-05-2011 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

hi,

i was due to pay a months rent to my landlord on monday. i didnt have the money. i asked the landlord would he be willing to accept my deposit as the months rent since im moving out at the end of the month. he said hes not going to accept it and will evict me on friday if i dont produce the rent. i contacted my college and they told me i was entitled to 4 weeks notice before been evicted and he said he didnt care. he said he would pack my stuff and throw it outside the door. i felt quite intimidated and reported him to the guards but they didnt do anything. i cant find the money anywhere and i have exams starting next week!

what should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

pretty sure he cant legally do that i mean you're only a fe day late for god sake. contact the RPTB and threshold about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Contact Threshold. Legally landlord must give you 28 days notice of termination after an initial request for payment of rent which is 2 weeks. So you should have at least 42 days before he can evict you.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

hi,

i was due to pay a months rent to my landlord on monday. i didnt have the money. i asked the landlord would he be willing to accept my deposit as the months rent since im moving out at the end of the month. he said hes not going to accept it and will evict me on friday if i dont produce the rent. i contacted my college and they told me i was entitled to 4 weeks notice before been evicted and he said he didnt care. he said he would pack my stuff and throw it outside the door. i felt quite intimidated and reported him to the guards but they didnt do anything. i cant find the money anywhere and i have exams starting next week!

what should i do?

you should pay your rent as agreed with the landlord. why should the landlord be out of pocket so you can live the easy life? its not their problem you have exams / cant find the money.

while its totally illegal, i wouldnt assume that it wont happen...

many landlords take this approach and deal with the fallout later...

id start looking for friends places to crash while you finish your exams or commute from home.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If the landlord does what he has threatened he will lose the subsequent PRTB case and you will be awarded compensation.

It would be completely illegal of the landlord.

I can't guarantee he isn't stupid enough to do if, of course, but if he does and you report it to the PRTB (which you should) he will regret it.

Obviously you should be paying him his rent, as agreed, but if you cannot then there are laws to be followed and what he is threatening falls far outside them.

Talk to threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Speak to Threashold and the PRTB. While you legally have to pay your last months rent and can't use your deposit, he can't evict you in such a quick manner for none payment of rent. He needs to isse you with a notice to pay with 14 days of the notice being issued and only then can he start an evication process were in he must give you 28 days [there are different lengths depending on the type of tenancy but its most likely 28 days] If he enters the property, moves your belongings, changes the locks etc etc that is an illegal eviction so make sure you stress to him that you are aware of your rights, might be enough to scare him off while you sort paying your outstanding rent and moving out at the of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

thanks for the replies

so if he evicts me illegally how much compensation would i be due?

ive spoken to threshold and the prtb and they just gave adice saying 'he cant do that' but the fact is he will do it

see now posters, you putting the $$$ in the eyes of the OP...

@ OP - IF and its a BIG IF your case makes it to court, which your looking at maybe three years before thats going to happen, you *may get something... but i wouldn't be counting on it...

Have you confirmed your landlord is PRTB registered?

at BEST you will get a judgement against the landlord which doenst necessarily mean you will actually get any cash...

go and borrow your rent money / take responsibility for your actions....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Legally it can't do it but he might simply not care. He may be a bully but the simplest solution is to get him the rent money. If you even get the case to court it will take a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The OP will win their case if this landlord is stupid enough to go through with his threat.
    There are no ifs and buts and maybes about it.

see now posters, you putting the $$$ in the eyes of the OP...

Wasn't my intention and disappointed to see that post by the OP I must be honest.

• Advertisement

@ OP - IF and its a BIG IF your case makes it to court, which your looking at maybe three years before thats going to happen, you *may get something... but i wouldn't be counting on it...
    Shocking mis-information. It's better not to reply rather than to just guess at it if you don't know what you're talking about. The other is just misleading.

Firstly, it won't go to court, it'll go to the PRTB. The fact that you don't understand that speaks volumes about your quality of advice in relation to this matter.
    Have you confirmed your landlord is PRTB registered?
    It doesn't matter to the tenant in this case. The landlord does not need to be registered with the PRTB in order for the tenant to make a complaint to the PRTB.

For false eviction "the tenants may claim compensation from the PRTB of up to €20000." - http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/publications/relate/relate_2010_4.doc

I've never heard of a figure like that being awarded, I assume it would be with serious aggravating circumstances. However 5000 would not be surprising.

As to $$$ signs. I don't like an attitude of trying to extract money from someone and I would suggest that the OP explain to the landlord that he knows his rights and the likely out-come for the landlord if he proceeds with his threat. However if the landlord then actually does proceed with his threat the OP should go to the PRTB. A fine - which this would pretty much amount to - would almost certainly stop such a landlord illegally evicting any future tenants. A landlord who would do that - especially over a few days delay - is scum, frankly, and would need to be held to account.

gambiaman wrote: »
    The OP will win their case if this landlord is stupid enough to go through with his threat.
    There are no ifs and buts and maybes about it.

Gambiaman - there are plenty of Ifs / Buts / Maybes

If the landlord can prove there is a history of non payment of rent / other issues...

If the tenant has been previously warned for non payment of rent..

At the end of the day, there is prob a lease in place, which the OP has broken by not paying the rent in the first place... this goes against tenant IF it

There is LOADS of illegal evictions happening in Ireland all the time.. .VERY few of them make it to court / any action taken.

@ OP -

Make sure you have all correspondence with your landlord in writing. this will be essential if your going to go to PRTB.

Pay your rent!

If the landlord can prove there is a history of non payment of rent / other issues...

At the end of the day, there is prob a lease in place, which the OP has broken by not paying the rent in the first place... this goes against tenant IF it

There is LOADS of illegal evictions happening in Ireland all the time.. .VERY few of them make it to court / any action taken.
    quozl wrote: »
    Shocking mis-information. It's better not to reply rather than to just guess at it if you don't know what you're talking about. The other is just misleading.

Firstly, it won't go to court, it'll go to the PRTB. The fact that you don't understand that speaks volumes about your quality of advice in relation to this matter.

It doesn't matter to the tenant in this case. The landlord does not need to be registered with the PRTB in order for the tenant to make a complaint to the PRTB.

For false eviction "the tenants may claim compensation from the PRTB of up to €20000." - http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/publications/relate/relate_2010_4.doc

I've never heard of a figure like that being awarded, I assume it would be with serious aggravating circumstances. However 5000 would not be surprising.

As to $$$ signs. I don't like an attitude of trying to extract money from someone and I would suggest that the OP explain to the landlord that he knows his rights and the likely out-come for the landlord if he proceeds with his threat. However if the landlord then actually does proceed with his threat the OP should go to the PRTB. A fine - which this would pretty much amount to - would almost certainly stop such a landlord illegally evicting any future tenants. A landlord who would do that - especially over a few days delay - is scum, frankly, and would need to be held to account.

sorry a mistake on my part = PRTB / Court same thing in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This is why I would never be a landlord. The only leverage a LL has is to evict you if you don't pay, but that's not allowed.

Recall the Bray case a couple of years ago where she paid no rent for months on end and the LL ejected her? She was compensated at his expense.

PRTB is a joke from the LL poiny of view.

OP, you owe the rent and should pay it, but there's sod all he can legally and effectively do if you don't.

True. If he had any cop on he would offer to accept the deposit in lieu of rent on condition that he inspects the premises beforehand. This leaves him vulnerable to any damage the OP caused but that is better than his current approach!

It's not a good situation for the landlord but he is going about things the wrong way. I would guess he is just hoping to scare the OP into finding the money somewhere. Alternatively he may be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Those evictions take place because people aren't aware of their rights. The fact is when it comes to tenancy law it is weighted very much in favor of the tenant. Just ask the LL's who've posted looking to evict a tenants who've stop paying rent months ago and have no intention of moving and the LL are told by the law they can't do anything.

There is a proceedure for evicting someone that the LL has to follow and it doesn't matter what sort of tenant the OP has been if the LL shows up and chucks their belongings out and changes the locks they are in the wrong end of.

I do agree that the OP's attitude of how much money they could get out of this is distasteful and pretty much every poster has told them they need to pay the rent. No one is saying hey live there for free ha ha, they are simply imforming the OP of their rights as a tenant and as it stands they can't be evicted for being a few days late with the rent. As they are moving out at the end of the month it's most likely they will ride out the month and not get their deposit back.

the attitude of renters in this country STINKS...

saying that the attitude of ALOT of the landlords is terrible too...

the attitude of renters in this country STINKS...

saying that the attitude of ALOT of the landlords is terrible too...

:rolleyes:

Yeah same way all cops are pigs, all priests are paedos etc etc. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Such a country for tarring everyone with the same brush, makes me ashamed to be Irish sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You are completely wrong.

http://public.prtb.ie/tribunal2010.htm

There are hundreds of proceedings currently going on just for the year 2010 when a landlord illegally evicted a tenant. Some of the judgments passed against landlords are 5-figure sums.

OP: If the landlord evicts you illegally, he has broken the law and will be liable for all your expenses. Keep all receipts related to costs you have incurred. Keep all correspondence you have gotten from the landlord.

I hope you fight this, don't let this bully walk all over you.

• Advertisement

So, if you check the report with subject of dispute, you will see that there was 23 cases for "Unlawful termination of tenancy"

The majority of the cases is for deposit retention on landlord.

So from the unknown number of illegal eviction there is 23 cases of determination against the landlord for illegal eviction...

and on a quick scan through them there is only a couple where the fine / compensation exceeds €1k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

PRTB Dispute Ref: DR1573/2008
    Claim brought by tenants (who don't appear to have breached their obligations).
    Decision:
    Landlord shall pay €5,190 being
    €1,500 for a breach of the Respondent Landlords obligations for unlawfully entering into the tenancy of the dwelling on 7 December 2008; €3,000 for illegally and unlawfully evicting the Applicant Tenant from the above premises; €450 retained security deposit and €240 for damage caused to Applicant Tenants belongings.

However, OP has also breached his obligations by not paying the rent. Have some witnesses the day the landlord threatens to evict. He will be acting highly illegally. If he tries to enter the property call the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

he said he would pack my stuff and throw it outside the door.
    Tell him if he does this you'll sue him for illegal eviction... but if you don't have money for rent, will you have money for a lawyer?
    What's the backlog with the PTRB? Also, dot he PTRB have much legal bite?
    True. If he had any cop on he would offer to accept the deposit in lieu of rent on condition that he inspects the premises beforehand.
    Student house can equal a messy leaving party that leaves the place in disrepair, thus if the landlord has more than two years renting experience, I can't see them doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sorry for the Landlord in this case... pity he didn't look for a larger deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You are completely wrong.

http://public.prtb.ie/tribunal2010.htm

There are hundreds of proceedings currently going on just for the year 2010 when a landlord illegally evicted a tenant. Some of the judgments passed against landlords are 5-figure sums.

OP: If the landlord evicts you illegally, he has broken the law and will be liable for all your expenses. Keep all receipts related to costs you have incurred. Keep all correspondence you have gotten from the landlord.

I hope you fight this, don't let this bully walk all over you.

But the OP didn't pay his rent! Show some judgments where the LL has ANY rights. His LL has no recourse to occupy his own property :eek: The OP ceases to rent when he stops paying. Still the LL is screwed.

I get it that some LLs are monsters, but at least a tenant has all the law on his side - even when he is the agreement breacher. The Landlord has nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

But the OP didn't pay his rent!

He is unable to pay his rent, and offered the landlord a reasonable compromise which would not leave the landlord out of pocket. In response he got threats of illegal eviction. I know whose side my sympathies lie on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

smcgiff wrote: »
    Sorry for the Landlord in this case... pity he didn't look for a larger deposit.

Maybe, just maybe the landlord has spent deposit already and had planned on screwing the OP out of it (can't say it doesn't happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He is unable to pay his rent, and offered the landlord a reasonable compromise which would not leave the landlord out of pocket. In response he got threats of illegal eviction. I know whose side my sympathies lie on....
    In some of the student houses I've rented in the past, there has been people in the house who caused damage during the "finished the exams" party. So, the student tells landlord to use the deposit for the last months rent. Not reasonable, as it gives the landlord no comeback if the student thrashes the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

so if he evicts me illegally how much compensation would i be due?

Aha. Things become clearer.

What did you spend your rent money on OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

He is unable to pay his rent, and offered the landlord a reasonable compromise which would not leave the landlord out of pocket

You're assuming that the property is in good condition of course. Have you ever rented a property to students?
    In response he got threats of illegal eviction. I know whose side my sympathies lie on....

Indeed. Your prejudice is quite clear.

Advertisement