Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of a sports tourer

• 04-05-2011 2:38pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So as per my previous thread I'm just back from 10 days in France, did serious mileage and loved it but my bike (Ducati Monster 620) was far from ideal. Next time I go I want a better bike. I want something that is still a bit sporty, but comfy for motorway driving. I would have given my left ball for a decent bit if wind protection on many occasions on my trip. I don’t think there are too many bikes that fit the category of good looking, kinda light and nimble while being, powerful and comfortable too.. Also, I’m a shortarse at 5’6 so it has to have a relatively low seat height. I’d go by a BMW GS tomorrow if I could but it’s simply way too big for me. Generally its fine when riding but it’s trying to move the thing backwards when parking etc which would be impossible on anything big.

Currently what fits the bill is a Honda VFR800 VTEC. They are pretty much known as great all rounder bikes, the reviews are very good and I’m a Honda fan as I drive a Civic Type R. Seat height is 31.7” which pretty low, I think my Monster is 30.5”. I’m a stickler for a good looking bike – there are many I would not touch as I’m sure they are great bikes but they are just ugly. The newer ones come in white which I think look great, but dam they are expensive, going to cost about 6-7k I’d say. However I’m sure I could get a black or grey one for much cheaper a few years older. However I’m sure I could get a black or grey one for much cheaper a few years older. You can also get hard luggage for them which is well handy for touring.

So, apart from this, what other bikes should I consider?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Zascar wrote: »
    So as per my previous thread I'm just back from 10 days in France, did serious mileage and loved it but my bike (Ducati Monster 620) was far from ideal. Next time I go I want a better bike. I want something that is still a bit sporty, but comfy for motorway driving. I would have given my left ball for a decent bit if wind protection on many occasions on my trip. I don’t think there are too many bikes that fit the category of good looking, kinda light and nimble while being, powerful and comfortable too.. Also, I’m a shortarse at 5’6 so it has to have a relatively low seat height. I’d go by a BMW GS tomorrow if I could but it’s simply way too big for me. Generally its fine when riding but it’s trying to move the thing backwards when parking etc which would be impossible on anything big.

Currently what fits the bill is a Honda VFR800 VTEC. They are pretty much known as great all rounder bikes, the reviews are very good and I’m a Honda fan as I drive a Civic Type R. Seat height is 31.7” which pretty low, I think my Monster is 30.5”. I’m a stickler for a good looking bike – there are many I would not touch as I’m sure they are great bikes but they are just ugly. The newer ones come in white which I think look great, but dam they are expensive, going to cost about 6-7k I’d say. However I’m sure I could get a black or grey one for much cheaper a few years older. However I’m sure I could get a black or grey one for much cheaper a few years older. You can also get hard luggage for them which is well handy for touring.

So, apart from this, what other bikes should I consider?

what about an f800st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pa990 wrote: »
    what about an f800st

From a riding position point of view, I think that'd be good, but an F800GS would be even better.

I don't think the V-Tec equipped VFR is great idea tbh. It's not a light bike, and the on/off nature of the V-Tec isn't ideal for touring. A non V-Tec VFR would be better imho.

Other bikes to consider, are........CBR600, Yamaha Thundercat 600, Kawasaki ZZ-R 600. All are compact, so good for those not-large-of-stature ;), plenty powerful, but comfortable with it. And, not being this year's hot-poop, loads available from budget pricing up to as much as you want to spend.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

galwaytt wrote: »
    ... Kawasaki ZZ-R 600. All are compact, so good for those not-large-of-stature ;), plenty powerful, but comfortable with it. And, not being this year's hot-poop, loads available from budget pricing up to as much as you want to spend.
    I had one of these myself and it was not bad.

OP, how much money are you looking to spend and are you buying new?

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would have said tank size would be another important consideration.

I would have said tank size would be another important consideration.
    Well, if it is tank size, then you need one of these, not a sports tourer, but an awesome bike for touring.

6019.JPG

• Advertisement

What about a Honda Blackbird?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Fully faired SV650 with double bubble / touring screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What about a Honda Blackbird?

or a zx1200 from a few years back. They were classed as sports "tourers" weren't they? 300kmph machines iirc. Certainly mile munchers.

On the other hand, my SV1000 has been great on long journeys, but my current favourite is the new Multistrada. I'd opt for the sportier one with panniers rather than the BimmerGS variant.

The older multistrada is probably more in your initial budget though and a very capable tourer, though its looks are somewhat, erm, how can one put this, not to everyone's taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

zx9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I know that it wouldnt be classed as a sports tourer,but what about the 1300 Pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

MrPudding wrote: »
    Well, if it is tank size, then you need one of these, not a sports tourer, but an awesome bike for touring.

What bike is that?

What bike is that?

r1200gs*

*step ladder not included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How about a K1200s?

6392-425x350.jpg

Wossack wrote: »
    r1200gs*

*step ladder not included
    R1200GS Adventure to give it its full title. Comes complete with something like a 34 litre tank, plus reserve.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dont know about your budget, but the new Yamaha Fazer 800 FZ8 is getting rave reviews.....could also get the 1000cc. :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the replies guys. Some nice choices there. The more I look at MBW’s the more I like them. The BMW F800ST is a lovely bike – competes directly with the VFR800 – both get great reviews, each have their merits really – but the BMW’s are more pricey. I think I might look at the F800GS too – I assume it’s a bit smaller and I’m told you can get a lower seat option – which would be cool.

I suppose it kinda boils down to price. I have an offer on my bike for 3k so there are some nice (slightly older) VFR’s around for the 4k mark. Maybe I’ll just go for one of these for now, get used to a bigger bike and then maybe step up a nice BMW a while after that perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

i had my cousins tdm900 out for a few days - should fit into what your looking for - light and nimble for commuting and great fully loaded for touring .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about the Fazer 1000, a detuned R1 engine tuned for torque, and a more upright stance.
    You can get them very reasonably priced if you look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What about an FJR? Something like this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1990780

http://www.visordown.com/uploads/images/Large/6019.JPG

He said the gs was too big, but agree that it's a great bike for touring. Loads of storage space, nice upright seating position, great wind protection, big tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

pa990 wrote: »
    what about an f800st

Sounds like the bike for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What about an FJR? Something like this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1990780

He said the gs was too big, but agree that it's a great bike for touring. Loads of storage space, nice upright seating position, great wind protection, big tank.

I have an FJR not a big as you think, certainly not as wide as you think. You can get a lowering kit but it is heavy, when not on the move. Have loads of grunt, once moving you rarely need to drop out of 5th but I would love if it had a 6th gear.

Not so sure about the the wind protection on the GS, if they had decent wind protection there wouldn't be so many little shields and fairing extentions at silly prices that BMW riders love to load up on. Seriously arent they like 20k new and then they seem to fit €4-5k of accessories straing away. But I did test one recently and I loved it, but you are going to get very wet on it, on a wet day.

650Ginge wrote: »
    I have an FJR not a big as you thing, certainly not as wide as you think. You can get a lowering kit but it is heavy, when not on the move. Have loads of grunt, once moving you rarely need to drop out of 5th but I would love if it had a 6th gear.

Not so sure about the the wind protection on the GS, if they had decent wind protection there wouldn't be so many little shields and fairing extentions at silly prices that BMW riders love to load up on. Seriously arent they like 20k new and then they seem to fit €4-5k of accessories straing away. But I did test one recently and I loved it, but you are going to get very wet on it, on a wet day.

I meant on the gs1200adv cos that's the picture MrPudding posted. Great protection on them. You'll get wet on any bike on a wet day!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I meant on the gs1200adv cos that's the picture MrPudding posted. Great protection on them. You'll get wet on any bike on a wet day!
    Yeah, there is a huge amount of wind protection, there may not be much in the may of fairings, but there is plenty of protection...

MrP

Yeah, there is a huge amount of wind protection, there may not be much in the may of fairings, but there is plenty of protection...

MrP

I love the idea of a bike without fairing giving so much wind protection.

650Ginge wrote: »
    .... Seriously arent they like 20k new and then they seem to fit €4-5k of accessories straing away. But I did test one recently and I loved it, but you are going to get very wet on it, on a wet day.

The F800GS comes with a low seat option, and is €11,800 new.

Whilst not cheap, it's nothing like 20k.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

galwaytt wrote: »
    The F800GS comes with a low seat option, and is €11,800 new.

Whilst not cheap, it's nothing like 20k.

If you are thinking of an 800gs but it is a bit too pricey, have a look out for a 08 650gs or newer. These models had an 800cc engine even though they were called 650 (dunno why).

I was looking at one of these a couple of months back and its a super bike. Was approximately 6.5k second hand. It was the right bike for me but just the wrong time to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    If you are thinking of an 800gs but it is a bit too pricey, have a look out for a 08 650gs or newer. These models had an 800cc engine even though they were called 650 (dunno why).

F800GS is the Off Road bike the F650GS is the road bike, 800 has bigger wheels for proper off road tyres. The F650GS is more suitable for shorter riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. Some nice choices there. The more I look at MBW’s the more I like them. The BMW F800ST is a lovely bike – competes directly with the VFR800 – both get great reviews, each have their merits really – but the BMW’s are more pricey. I think I might look at the F800GS too – I assume it’s a bit smaller and I’m told you can get a lower seat option – which would be cool.

I suppose it kinda boils down to price. I have an offer on my bike for 3k so there are some nice (slightly older) VFR’s around for the 4k mark. Maybe I’ll just go for one of these for now, get used to a bigger bike and then maybe step up a nice BMW a while after that perhaps?

Looks like there could be a bargain to be had here, Owner says he's seeing a trader this weekend so you'd pick it up for trade price.

I reckon you'd get it for about 1700 gbp and then as it's '02 the vrt couldn't be more than 250eur, you'd have it on your door after ferries and fuel for 2500eur...lot's of extras and a clean lowish mileage bike and as it's a UK'r it has FSH with MOT's to verify the mileage....

Scottoiler, heated grips, new tyres, new C&S......
    http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=21334&st=0&gopid=206089&#entry206089

if yer dead set on a tedium, dogsbox have a couple I believe

http://www.dogsboxmotorcycles.ie/english/bikes/yamaha.html

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    F800GS is the Off Road bike the F650GS is the road bike, 800 has bigger wheels for proper off road tyres. The F650GS is more suitable for shorter riders.

Tgh - they're all road bikes........who in reality (on this island esp), goes off roading on stuff that big ? Fug me, my 250 GasGas is heavy enough to pull upright when you get off...........an 800 anything would be a killer.......

There's one of them 800cc F650's (sic :rolleyes: ) for sale in Galway atmo.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement