Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer from RIAM to ABRSM piano grade 8

Options
  • 04-05-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I've a student who has done grade 6 piano in RIAM and was prepared for grade 7 RIAM but the exam was cancelled because of the snow last christmas.

He was to go on and do diplomas, LRSM etc with ABRSM and has notice that grade 8 ABRSM is required.

Is it possible for him to apply to do the ABRSM grade 8 piano exam or will he get caught with prerequisites? Tried contacting ABRSM about this but have got no where. Any advice knowledge out there on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

He'll need to have Grade V ABRSM theory before sitting the piano exam.

I think RIAM Grade VIII piano is accepted as a substitute prerequisite for the DipABRSM. The Associate of Trinity College London does not require any specific prerequisite, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had to do g8 abrsm cello twice as they would only accept the exam with one of their examiners for the dipABRSM, so I am not sure RIAM g8 would suffice.

But yes the only prerequisite for g8 piano is the g5 theory

http://www.abrsm.org/regions/fileadmin/user_upload/syllabuses/piano0811.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

From the Dip. ABRSM syllabus, list of acceptable substitutions for prerequisites (p. 20):

Grade 8 Practical from Trinity College London or Royal Irish Academy of Music (with ABRSM Grade 5 Theory or equivalent from any of the boards listed in this table)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Doshea3 wrote: »
    From the Dip. ABRSM syllabus, list of acceptable substitutions for prerequisites (p. 20):

Grade 8 Practical from Trinity College London or Royal Irish Academy of Music (with ABRSM Grade 5 Theory or equivalent from any of the boards listed in this table)

Nice one, couldn't find it :)

Advertisement