Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass and gardening - help required

Options
  • 04-05-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Advice required.

Recently bought a new house. Garden was layed with grass seed.

Soil has lots of stones in it and weeds are starting to grow. The ground is bowen dry, level and there are lots of stones. There is also patches with no grass

What I have done so far is,

hand picked out weeds and hand pick out stones, put a bag of grass seed on it and a feed.

I am seeing no results - I am watering garden nightly with a gardern watering can but I am finding it painfull as I have no garden tap?

Weeds are slowly starting to resurface.

I dont want to give in and buy the rolled grass like next door neighbours - any advice on how to battle my problem.

All I want is a thick green lawn!! Parts are thick with grass, parts are weedy and parts are just bowen dry with no dirt.

Help required please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Is there anyway for you to attach the hose to the kitchen sink (presuming the kitchen is to the back) and water the lawn that way. I know April was fairly warm so it wold require a good watering etc. After you put down the seed did you rake it in?

Edit: When you say a feed what exactly did you use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Rdaly1 wrote: »
    Advice required.

Recently bought a new house. Garden was layed with grass seed.

Soil has lots of stones in it and weeds are starting to grow. The ground is bowen dry, level and there are lots of stones. There is also patches with no grass

What I have done so far is,

hand picked out weeds and hand pick out stones, put a bag of grass seed on it and a feed.

I am seeing no results - I am watering garden nightly with a gardern watering can but I am finding it painfull as I have no garden tap?

Weeds are slowly starting to resurface.

I dont want to give in and buy the rolled grass like next door neighbours - any advice on how to battle my problem.

All I want is a thick green lawn!! Parts are thick with grass, parts are weedy and parts are just bowen dry with no dirt.

Help required please

You might be in a spot of trouble. Can you post a few pics? Ground doesn't seem too good, so might require more effort than simply watering.

Fertiliser should be applied during ground preparation not during/after seeding. Some feeds can harm new grass, weed'n'feed types will burn and kill young grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

depending on the size of your area , you could add some moss peat and sprinkle a few more seeds on bare patches. Grass seed will nearly always grow because you will eventually get plenty rain in this country. But if you scatter it thickly in areas that are bare it will thicken. As regards the weeds , don't worry too much about them . As soon as you give it a few cuts most of these will not be seen. Weeds such as docks should be dug by hand.
    Hang in there and you will get grass !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

seen this a few times, the buildiers just throw in any kind of soil and level it off. the hard brown stony soil you have is just subsoil. This will support nothing lawnwise. You will need to get in a load of topsoil. Sometimes you see topsoil advertised in the classified section of the paper. Failing that contact a landscaper and they will sort you out with a load of it. Whatever you do, dont go wasting money buying bags of overpriced compost,< enter gimmick product here> from the likes of woodies or B&Q. Its far better value, a faster by the way, to get the topsoil in bulk via trailer load. How big is your lawn?
    Once you have the topsoil spread leave it for a few weeks and allow some weed growth to develop. Then spray with glyphosate. After 10 days begin seeding. Keep it from dying out.
    In addition i'd avoid using the hose i i could. Get a 200L blue barrel or oil barrel or similar and pipe the downpipes into it to collect the rainwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Make sure you soak the grass seed in whiskey over night too before you sow the lawn as its easier to mow when it comes up half cut

• Advertisement
Advertisement