Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Gig ..... ever.

Options
  • 04-05-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭

What's the worst gig you've been to?
    I was at a show at the weekend where the crowd were sh!t, and in sh!t I mean about 15 people in a big room, all drunk and not paying attention to the acts onstage. The headline act got clearly distressed and walked off after less than 5minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jason Byrne

except when a friend heckled him and got a bigger laugh than he did, he must have been raging :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

Amstel used to do free comedy nights. Went once to see jarlath Regan and neil delamare, absolutely ****e. Jarlath Regan died a death for half hour before telling a paedophile joke in desperation. Went down like a lead balloon.
    Neil delamare was... well, Neil delamare, not much more to say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Once played an Edinburgh show to an audience of 2 in one of the small rooms at the gilded balloon,and at the same festival got boo-ed off at later n live but there was and never will be any shame in that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Saw Pat Shortt a few years ago and there was some comedienne before him that really didn't get any interest from the crowd. I pitied her, but forget the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Josie long supporting Ardal o Hanlon for the recent Daves one night stand is easily the worse routine of all time....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

POKERKING wrote: »
    Josie long supporting Ardal o Hanlon for the recent Daves one night stand is easily the worse routine of all time....

Josie Long is a great comedian. But I'm sure she threw all that out the window to do "easily the worst routine of all time".

I've seen some ropey gigs alright. Some down to ****e comedians, some down to ****e crowds, some a big drunken mix of the two.

I'd be hard pressed to pick the worst though. One of the worst was at one of those Bulmer's comedy competitions a few years back when a guy who described himself as 'dark and edgy' did 10 minutes to almost complete silence. His stuff was pitifully bad. No punchlines, hackneyed wannabe 'controversial' jokes and political jokes with all the insight of a 12 year old.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Josie Long is a great comedian. But I'm sure she threw all that out the window to do "easily the worst routine of all time".

I've seen some ropey gigs alright. Some down to ****e comedians, some down to ****e crowds, some a big drunken mix of the two.

I'd be hard pressed to pick the worst though. One of the worst was at one of those Bulmer's comedy competitions a few years back when a guy who described himself as 'dark and edgy' did 10 minutes to almost complete silence. His stuff was pitifully bad. No punchlines, hackneyed wannabe 'controversial' jokes and political jokes with all the insight of a 12 year old.

is that you Josie??

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SkrApsAK

LOL!! That must be Josie!

I was at that gig too and to be honest, it was definately the worst set ive ever seen from any comedian.
    She absolutely bombed. Nothing to do with the crowd at all. She didnt put much work in at all to that set, I couldnt imagine that she had done that set previously.

When seen on TV, the only laughs will be added/edited to make it look like it wasnt such an epic fail!!

If there was a gun there, I would have blew my brains out just to not hear any more. Never crynged so much in my life!! disaster of a comedian.
    Maybe good on tv shows, but god she is awful in person.

If you are thinking of going to a Josie Long gig, dont....... Just dont :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Went to The International on a Wednesday. Few no names that were absolutely terrible. The usual overly nervous, or typical female "oh men" types. The headline was Joe Rooney (Father Damo) and he seemed so nervous and just not funny at all. I saw him a few weeks later at the Laughter lounge and he did pretty much the same routine, except towards the end he was doing impression of musicians and he was actually good and funny, but he cut that short cause he spent all his time on his shoite routine. Honestly think if it wasn't for the Father Ted relation he wouldn't have gotten a Laughter Lounge gig.

POKERKING wrote: »
    is that you Josie??

LOL!!!!! FANTASTIC!!! You should be on the stage yourself with such hilariously original comebacks! I have actually sh*t my pants I laughed so hard at your display of ingenious hilarity. Oh where do you come up with this stuff? Please let us in on your secret of thinking of something so incredibly f*cking funny and posting it on boards because I simply must know. I MUST!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

NothingMan, if you make unfounded allegations like that again, you will get banned. Please think before you type (all users take note)

NothingMan wrote: »
    Went to The International on a Wednesday. Few no names that were absolutely terrible. The usual overly nervous, or typical female "oh men" types. The headline was Joe Rooney (Father Damo) and he seemed so nervous <snip> and just not funny at all. I saw him a few weeks later at the Laughter lounge and he did pretty much the same routine, except towards the end he was doing impression of musicians and he was actually good and funny, but he cut that short cause he spent all his time on his shoite routine. Honestly think if it wasn't for the Father Ted relation he wouldn't have gotten a Laughter Lounge gig.

Seen him last year in Dunboyne last year, luckily i got such a good deal on the ticket and a nights accom that it brushed over the fact he was so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I think Stand Up is one of the artforms that is hardest to pull off.
    When it's good and a comedian holds an audience in the palm of thier hands it's amazing - but when it's bad.....

I saw Jason Byrne a few years ago - not funny imo.
    Tommy Tiernan was funny for a brief period at the start of his career and now makes me cringe when I see him

Worst though was in Australia in a place in Melbourne called The Esplanade - they'd have a comedy night every Thursday.
    Went one night, maybe about 50 people in the audience to see one guy do a 10minute routine to pretty much complete silence. There was some nervous laughter towards the end at how bad it was, but otherwise he delivered the material to pretty much complete silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jclally wrote: »
    Amstel used to do free comedy nights. Went once to see jarlath Regan and neil delamare, absolutely ****e. Jarlath Regan died a death for half hour before telling a paedophile joke in desperation. Went down like a lead balloon.
    Neil delamare was... well, Neil delamare, not much more to say
    yeah i saw jarlath regan a few times supporting funny comedians...he takes off his shoe and talks into it like it's a telephone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

LOL!!!!! FANTASTIC!!! You should be on the stage yourself with such hilariously original comebacks! I have actually sh*t my pants I laughed so hard at your display of ingenious hilarity. Oh where do you come up with this stuff? Please let us in on your secret of thinking of something so incredibly f*cking funny and posting it on boards because I simply must know. I MUST!!!!!
    Based on a few routines I just watched on Youtube, and that 'humourous' (?) reply of yours, I can kind of see why you might find her funny. I'm with those who don't.

Worst gig I've seen in person was either Frank Twomey in Cork yonks ago who was clearly locked during his routine (he kept repeating jokes, forgetting punchlines etc.), or Jason Byrne, who often confuses shouting and arm-waving with humour.

Based on a few routines I just watched on Youtube, and that 'humourous' (?) reply of yours, I can kind of see why you might find her funny. I'm with those who don't.

You really shouldn't base your opinion of a comedian on a few small clips on Youtube. And you definitely shouldn't base it on the posts of someone else on boards.ie who happens to like them. Even POKERKING indicated his acceptance of my 'hilarious' reply. I'm so sorry though it didn't meet your high expectations of posts on boards.ie.

I will endeavour to do better in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Johnny Vegas - about 8 years ago in what was then called the Temple Bar Music Centre. He was drunk and rambling, repeated jokes, forgot punchlines, got tearful, apologised and promised that he would return and do a free gig for ticketholders present.

An embarrassement all round.

Needless to say the free gig never materialsed.

You really shouldn't base your opinion of a comedian on a few small clips on Youtube. And you definitely shouldn't base it on the posts of someone else on boards.ie who happens to like them. Even POKERKING indicated his acceptance of my 'hilarious' reply. I'm so sorry though it didn't meet your high expectations of posts on boards.ie.

I will endeavour to do better in the future.

Wow.... you really dont take criticism well do you Josie?

Please dont come back to Ireland again with your pathetic jokes and ridonkulous anecdotes.

The live standup iv seen in person was by far the worst iv seen, and your youtube clips are horrendous. Stick to TV love!!

(awaiting "hilarious" reply from "AnonoBoy". pffff LMAO!!)

SkrApsAK wrote: »
    Wow.... you really dont take criticism well do you Josie?

You know the way some jokes get funnier the more you hear them. This one isn't one of those jokes. But do carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Worst I've seen is Fred Cooke. Saw him twice last year, supporting high-profile comics. He was shockingly bad. Felt bad for him in fact.

Runner up is Des Bishop, who I've never really liked. Saw him once about 7 years ago during the Cat Laughs. He was on a bill with Demetri Martin and Zach Galifianakis, who were both excellent. Then he came on last and starting talking about his cancer and saying f**k a lot. He was terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Went to Simon Amstell in Vicar Street and he wasn't good at all. In fact at one stage he called a woman a b!tch and then a c*nt for going out to the loo all because the gig was being recorded for his new DVD....sorry Simon, but if we're going to be held prisoner in a room while you're ranting on about your dying cat and god knows what on stage then at least offer cut price tickets.

Besides that he wasn't even very funny ....

Of the big name comedians I've seen live I'd say Lee Evans was the most disappointing. 2002 or so I think it was in the Olympia. He just flailed about a lot and none of his material hit home at all for me. Granted I didn't know a lot of his stuff before I went but at the time I remember thinking I'd seen better comedians in the back room of dingy pubs who never went anywhere, how did this dude get so big?

You know the way some jokes get funnier the more you hear them. This one isn't one of those jokes. But do carry on.

For someone writing in a thread regarding comedians, you cant exactly take a joke!

GTFO!!

Once you said Josie Long was any way decent, all credibility was lost!

SkrApsAK wrote: »
    For someone writing in a thread regarding comedians, you cant exactly take a joke!

Oh dear. You're getting quite worked up aren't you? Too bad you just used the same joke that the other two lads did. When you think of your own ones then maybe you'll feel better.

You'll see I've already returned to the topic of the thread. But feel free to keep going, it's quite amusing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm surprised Joe Rooney's name came up in this thread, coincidentally he was the comedian I was talking about in the Original Post. He threw his guitar down and walked off stage. I'm not slagging Joe (in fact I thought he was funny), it was the crowd who were terrible. That said, there were 3 other acts on the bill and each of them manned up and finished their set. They probably understood that maybe one or two people were into comedy.

^^^Just a reminder of how worked up someone may get^^^

LMAO..... GTFO and roll on to your 13,000 post with your constant trolling. lol
    living life on boards must be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Dermot McMorrow (I think!) at the comedy festival in the Iveagh Gardens last year was brutal,he put on a slide show at one stage and gave unfunny commentary on each slide,which mainly consisted of pictures of religous folk,was very,very awkward.

Was at a show in some pub in town a few months back,and every comedian,and the MC as it happens,were awful,one guy stood on stage for about 15 minutes delivering shíte one liners in a mumbled voice,the silence was deafining!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Please keep on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Got dragged along to a Brendan Grace gig during the summer, words can't describe how appalling it was, needless to say I sat in stoney silence throughout it.

I also saw PJ Gallagher struggle a few years back. His support act was excellent and kind of stole his thunder to a certain extent. PJ's set was filled with long periods of silence from the audience and people going in and out to the bar or out for a smoke. Slight jeering and whistling from certain quarters of the crowd had even started up by the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hyndsy85

A few years back i saw Dom Irrera and Adam Hills In Dolans warehouse in Limerick city.

I had never heard of Adam hills at that point and to me Dom Irrera was this big american comedian from america than id seen in seinfeld and other tv stuff. So i figured he was the headliner and the place would be packed.

He went on first (he said he had a flight to catch after the show) and there was about 15/20 people there. Nobody was laughing and id never felt more uncomfortable. Eventually he started getting the crowd laughing after 20 minutes of silence when he then made a racist joke and the place whent silent again.

They then started letting people in for free because during the interval the place got packed. Also as Dom was leaving during the interval i shook his hand and told him i enjoyed his set (i didnt). The look he gave me was like "ya buddy, thats bulls**t"

Anyways, adam hills came on to a packed crowd and had everyone in stitches. So not a bad show just a horrendus first hour

Advertisement