Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place for a Service

• 04-05-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Hey
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bike shop to do a full service on my bike. I want the brakes, gears etc checked and fixed. I have gone to a couple of places for smaller issues but haven't been pleased with the service e.g the place in rathmines (both myself and my girlfriend have had bad experiences with them) I've also been to the shop in rathgar. Anyone know any good places? Southside preferable.

Thanks a lot

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I 've great experience both with Fitzcycles (stillorgan) and Joe Daly cycles (dundrum). I don't think you ll have any issues with any of these shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Surprised to hear that about the Rathmines shop. It's been a while since I was in there but they were always very good.

This shop - http://www.beecycles.net/ - is a new set up and I have no idea how good, bad or indifferent they are, but I do like the fact they publish their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Jawgap wrote: »
    Surprised to hear that about the Rathmines shop. It's been a while since I was in there but they were always very good.

This shop - http://www.beecycles.net/ - is a new set up and I have no idea how good, bad or indifferent they are, but I do like the fact they publish their prices.

I like the cut of their jib. Great mission statement, and not bad prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

The Cycle Inn in Tallaght is a decent shop. I've never had a problem with the service they provide.

http://www.thecycleinn.com/

Joe Daly in Dundrum has my vote. Guy running the shop is an absolute gent, replaced parts on my old racer with second hand parts to keep cost down when I was in college too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

e.g the place in rathmines (both myself and my girlfriend have had bad experiences with them)

Surprised as well, I go there as my preferred place. Both Fitzcycles and Cycle Inn have provided me with good service as well though. Cycle Inn are great for the mountain bike stuff, and Fitzcycles provide a 10% discount to Boardsies (well they used to).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

e.g the place in rathmines (both myself and my girlfriend have had bad experiences with them)

Surprised as well, I go there as my preferred place. Both Fitzcycles and Cycle Inn have provided me with good service as well though. Cycle Inn are great for the mountain bike stuff, and Fitzcycles provide a 10% discount to Boardsies (well they used to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Try Bee Cycles (www.beecycles.net) on the South Circular Road. Just opened a few weeks ago, I know the owner from his days in Mikes Bikes in Dun Laoghaire, and hes one of the best bike mechanics in Dublin. He concentrates on servicing bikes, so he won't be trying to sell you stuff you don't need.
    Its good to support a new small business in these hard times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I'll give a thumbs up for Fitzcycles. Discussed my misgivings with the shop and got satisfactory explanations for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Yi Harr wrote: »
    I'll give a tentative thumbs up for Fitzcycles too with a small caveat.

Just got my bike serviced there and opted for 'The Big Mac'. While I have yet to have a proper spin on the bike it was fairly obvious that the components weren't cleaned nor was the seatpost regreased or the cracked washer in the seatpost fastening replaced.

Small thing (I'm often called meticulous or perhaps it was petty) but when you're paying €80 and they specifically mention that they're part of the service it will always make one wonder what else hasn't been done.

That said staff were very friendly and helpful and they have some lovely bikes to oogle.

Did you mention that to them? If you didn't you should have, shops aren't gonna get better without a feedback, especially a new shop like fitzcycles. I am sure the guys will do their best to sort you out , some of them are boardsies after all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Did you mention that to them? If you didn't you should have, shops aren't gonna get better without a feedback, especially a new shop like fitzcycles. I am sure the guys will do their best to sort you out , some of them are boardsies after all :)

I haven't contacted them about it yet as I only picked the bike up on Saturday evening and didn't really get a chance to look it over until yesterday. I didn't look it over in the shop either as I really didn't expect to have to check everything was done. I won't have a chance to call into them in the next fortnight, and while I would rather do things face to face, I'll either email or phone them to let them know during the week.

Advertisement