Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydration packs?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm taking a US holiday next year where I'll be doing short hikes (2-5 hours say). Since most of these hikes will be in areas with high temps and little or no shelter, it seems imperative to take more water than I need (most sites recommend 3-4 litres per person per day). Someone suggested I look into hydration packs, but to my mind, I won't be climbing, I won't be cycling, I won't be racing, so a hands free solution is a bit pointless. I can easily just stuff 3 litre bottles of water into a rucksack and on it goes.

Are there any advantages to a hydration pack if you're not out for very long and not doing anything too strenuous that I'm not thinking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Well if you do go to get one get camelback 3L vgood make wont let you down.
    Should you get it! well look at the cost if you are going to buy some reusable bottles as well! I think its handy when it comes to weight and storage as it takes up no room when empty and then its full there is no real added weight like if you use a few reusable plastic bottles or sigs etc
    also if you use walking pols it is handy to have the H-pack however if you going to be walking in hot places you should carry a 500- 700ml bottle of water as well just incase something happens to you H-pack very unlikey but just better to be safe and know you have something in reserve!

Over all i just think camelback are gr8 handy to use and clean and strong plastic also saves you takeing bag off your back to get water every so often!
    hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks Whitehawk, that was the only advantage I could really think of, that I wouldn't have to stop every 500m to take a bottle out of my bag, take a sup, put it back.

But would you consider a hydration pack overkill somewhat for my intended hikes? I'd hate to be out there on the trail, bite valve in hand, striding purposefully and get passed by an old guy smoking a woodbine and using a capri-sun as his main hydration source :D

Ya i dont think its over kill i use it every time i even go on a light hike i just think they are great, and i dont see it as overkill ya not everyone uses them but i dont see why as i just find them great i have used em for like 12 years now and could never be without it! Also they are much better then they use to be and the camelback is good as its blue not clear so less-likely that bacteria will go in it if you dont care for it and its easier to clean so no need to worry if it does just add some milton and water in to it and leave it overnight and then rinse it a good few times and it will be good as new

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks again Whitehawk. I think I'll start small and see how I get on with something like this rather than a full pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Are you talking about one of those dedicated rucksacks? Waste of money IMO. Whitehawk has it, buy one of the simple camelbaks and put it into any rucksack you use. I put off buying one for ages, but now I have one I find it's great. You'll drink more which is important and you can drink on your own terms and not on the hike leader's terms. As Whitehawk says, you should also carry a reserve as accidents do happen - also you don't want to find your camelbak is empty just when you need a drink.

I clean mine using Milton, I haven't been poisoned yet :)

• Advertisement

corblimey wrote: »
    Tks again Whitehawk. I think I'll start small and see how I get on with something like this rather than a full pack.
    Ya no worrys
    btw if you have some sort of rusksack that has a holder for a H-pack even something like with will do - http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Accessories/2010-Antidote-Reservoir-100-oz.aspx
    as you see there is a hook on the top of it, i like with type as you can see the hole bottle and make sure it is clean etc
    hmmm wrote: »

I clean mine using Milton, I haven't been poisoned yet :)
    Ya milton is safe as long as you leave it in bottle for a while and then wash/rinse it out a good bit
    and same never been poisoned yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Whitehawk wrote: »
    the camelback is good as its blue not clear so less-likely that bacteria will go in it

really?

Has anyone any experience using these at altitude, vis a vis the tube freezing? i thought they sat against the body which might help prevent them freezing but i'm obv mistaken

Ya the blu deffo helps stop the old bacteria,

re the freezing, there can be probs there as parts of em become brittle however i have not tested mine past 4000ft tho i know alot of people that wont use theres past that hight and use sigs instead i think tho with new tech and some insulation around bottle and tubes that they would be fine, for hight tho maby look at getting the Military/Tactical ones something like this im thinking could be good - http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Packs/Armorbak.aspx (in black btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

a148pro wrote: »
    really?

Has anyone any experience using these at altitude, vis a vis the tube freezing? i thought they sat against the body which might help prevent them freezing but i'm obv mistaken

I have one of the older insulated military Camelbaks, and the hose freezes relatively easily, although I have running on the outside of my left yoke strap, so it's vulnerable to windchill.

One thing though, the colour of the hydration pack has nothing to do with bacteria resistance, and in the presence of sunlight, clear would be better than blue.

Donny5 wrote: »

One thing though, the colour of the hydration pack has nothing to do with bacteria resistance, and in the presence of sunlight, clear would be better than blue.

What in earth makes you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Whitehawk wrote: »
    What in earth makes you think that?

Well, the sun emits UV, which has an adverse effect on bacteria.

Yes however in real basic terms in real world testing UV will be in different levels of concentration, due to lots of resions, (Ozone -Cloud Cover -angle of sunlight ), in ireland bacteria can grow outside at some times of the year this is fact! (however it dose not grow so fast)

Back to hydration packs i have used then for years and have had bacteria grow in clear ones many times, since i got my blue camelbak one never had this - i do know colour blue with uv light can help kill bac. and see that i and may others i know have all found that bac is not growing as much now would lead me to believe that the blue helps - there is ofc no testing done on this that i know of however i when it comes down to it i can see how its a benefit rather then just a random colour they chose which also makes since!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Perdito

after use just wash my camelbak and pop in the freezer stops and bacteria growing and no odors

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I've used camelbak type hydration packs before.
    It's a big advantage to be able to take sips as you walk instead of having to stop and drink, however I have found cleaning to be a problem.
    I've recently picked up this
    http://www.bluedesert.co.il/product_profile.html
    (from Milletts in Dublin, on sale!).
    Allows you to use your own bottle, so should make cleaning easier.
    Also more flexible for different trips, just change the size/no. of bottles you bring.

camelbaks now have large opening on the tops so they easy to clean, actley the tubes them selves i find the place you really need to watch on any hydration pack.

Advertisement