Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding ground that floods?

• 04-05-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Lads

I have some ground that floods every year. It's about the only bit of the farm that hasn't ever been reseeded. It always has a good cover of 'grass' over the summer, but it's only pure weeds, no real feeding value.

Would it be a waste of time to try reseeding some of it early some year after the flood goes back? Anyone with first hand experience??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Dont have land that floods so not the one to answer you really but would think your mad as it will be killed off from flooding next winter again wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Muckit wrote: »
    Lads

I have some ground that floods every year. It's about the only bit of the farm that hasn't ever been reseeded. It always has a good cover of 'grass' over the summer, but it's only pure weeds, no real feeding value.

Would it be a waste of time to try reseeding some of it early some year after the flood goes back? Anyone with first hand experience??

Try one of those stitcher machines like an einbock in the spring when growth gets going, mightnt be worth full job but this might be better than nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

have a field that floods but only when the river behind it bursts its banks because it hasnt been cleaned out in years i would love to reseed it for the same reasons as your self it grows a lot of dirt, i would sow away but do it as early as possible so it gets well established, stitching would prob be the best option if the ground is level, but our field is as rough in spots, i would love to hit it with a plough but am terrified if i did and there was a deluge of rain for a week causing the river to over flow would wash away all the soil before it would get a chance to root so stitching will prob be the only option for me, i'm waiting to see how it works on a neighbours this year and might try it next year myself

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

no first hand experince here either but was wondering what grass were u thinking of putting in. I think that some of the older varieties might be better such as Timothy (i think that is ok in wetter ground)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

how about throwing out a bit of westerwolds type seed and just rolling.
    westerwold is suppose to establish itself anywhere. side of lanes etc.
    maybe drag a chain harrow over first. should establish itself fairly easy. will be highly productive but will need overseeding regularly like every 3yrs if you want to maintain its high productivity. I have no idea how well it will stand up to flooding but it is suppose to be quite persistent.

in fact am hoping to do something shortly with the calving/maternity paddock here that gets serious abuse. moved cattle in there today in the wet. will get them to poach the sh1t out of it. spin some westerwolds grass on and let the cattle walk it in. I wont be able to roll every where as there are a lot of trees.
    hard to know how successful it will be though i've been assured it will work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

hi lads where would you get that westerworld seed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Damoayo is right, timothy would work in wet land, I got some years ago from scotsward through arrabawn co-op.

I wouldnt recommend the westerwolds it grows very vigoursly, I put it in after maize a few times, I don't think its vary palatable. Cattle ate it in spring straight out of the shed, but wouldn't eat it for a second grazing at all. I got mine from Willie Tanner in Fermoy, I think he gets it off Roy Power seeds, I think he is in Waterford.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement