Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Passage" by Justin Cronin

Options
  • 04-05-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

For fans of the above book, see here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056258170

I read this book last year and loved it. I may have to buy it again. I lent a copy to a colleague and they don't seem to want to return it. Though it is a big tome, about 700-800 pages I think. Well worth it, though!

The fact that they are selling out the hardback version, must mean it's coming out in the smaller paperback version soon. Did anyone else read it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

It should be out in the small format paperback any day now (if I recall, it originally came out last summer, it would normally take 9 months to a year before it came out in the proper paperback format). The Chapters deal mentioned in the thread you linked to will still be cheaper than the paperback when it comes out (probably €10 to €11) but if you're near a Waterstone's, it might be half price for the first week (they sometimes do that).

I read it last year and really enjoyed it. Some of the writing was a bit dodgy, IMO, but a very enjoyable read and none of that twinkling vampire stuff. Proper nasty vampires.

It's a trilogy, as far as I remember, but not sure how far he's getting with the other two. I remember reading somewhere that the next installment is due next year, but not sure if that still holds.

It's also going to be a huge film, I think Ridley Scott is doing it, but it's not due out for a couple of years, so that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Really looking forward to that film, especially if directed by Ridley Scott. I found out about this book from posters on this forum, so thanks everyone! That's what I like, to find out about new books!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

I bought the paper back in the airport on my way to Vegas. Obviously that was a waste as this was not a "resting holiday", anyway I'm currently on nights and trying to read it when I'm quiet. I can't get into it but I think it's my poor concentration at 5am. Any motivations guys? I've heard nothing but good reviews but my mind does not seem to want to take it in at the moment.

The book is now €4.58 paperback on Book Depository (free delivery).

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Passage-Justin-Cronin/9780752883304

I know what you mean - it may be hard to get into. I had previously read "The Stand" and "The Road" so I loved this book. It really remined me of "The Stand", a post- apocalyptic saga. It focuses more on that rather than the vampire theme.

It depends if you like these type of novels. Personally, I'm not crazy about the Twilight novels, prefer my books to be more realistic. That's why I love this book.

I have just ordered a few (!) copies from the Book Depository, so if anyone would like a copy, let me know. The books will all be registered on Book Crossing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Thanks, i'm definitely going to stick it out, because I know it's my type of book. I read twilight before the movie came out because I wanted to see was this worth the hype, one word. . Tripe. The author gave me constipation :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

have this on my to read pile, in paperback and bought from Waterstones in Cork. I think it mat have been part of a 3 for 2 offer.

Smilerxxx - I'm with you on twilight :rolleyes:

Caros wrote: »
    Smilerxxx - I'm with you on twilight :rolleyes:

Glad to see you agree with me about Twilight. In that case you'll enjoy "The Passage".

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I though the passage was great in some ways but in many other is was so awful that I wanted to punch the author and anyone who proof read the book.

Its really is no better then twilight and at the end after several hundred pages the climax made me weep for the genre.

About half ways thru this at the minute, and loving it! Just wondering if anyone has read any of his former books 'The Summer Guest' and 'Mary & O'Neill' and how they found them?

Finished it yesterday, marvelous read and can't wait for the next one in the trilogy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Caros wrote: »
    About half ways thru this at the minute, and loving it! Just wondering if anyone has read any of his former books 'The Summer Guest' and 'Mary & O'Neill' and how they found them?

I haven't read them, but my impression is that the author started out trying to be a 'literary' writer and never succeeded at that, so turned his hand to vampires (I guess he wanted to start selling some books).

I haven't read them, but my impression is that the author started out trying to be a 'literary' writer and never succeeded at that, so turned his hand to vampires (I guess he wanted to start selling some books).

I've been reading a few online reviews on his other books and have put one on my wishlist at TBD just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Cannot comprehend the positive reviews for this garbage. I read about 80 pages before throwing it into the recycling bin. Wouldn't even give this one to Oxfam because I'd feel guilty for propagating drivel.
    Derivative and dull, the fact the author refuses to use words of more than three syllables illustrates who he was aiming this at. Ie people who think Stephen King, Niall Gaiman and James Herbert can write.

Sorry you didn't like it. I suppose I have very wide literary tastes. I like early Stephen King. I read one Neil Gaiman book, Neverwhere, and liked it.

I like the classics too, have just bought "The Count of Monte Cristo".

I think reading some of these novels that you mentioned above, brings you into other types of books. I always like getting recommendations from other people, or here on boards. However I think it's wrong to presume that just because you read Stephen King or Justin Cronin, that you are not open to reading other higher forms of literature.

IMHO, I'm just happy to see people reading. Though I kinda draw the line at some books. It was really funny recently, we tried our best to dissuade a visitor from Norway from picking up a Cecelia Ahern book to bring home. I don't like chick lit myself, so have no idea what the book was like.

I have nothing against good pop fiction. Tim Powers and GM Hague are far more exciting and readable than Justin Cronin but they don't have a massive publishing machine behind them so most people don't know them. If "the passage" wasn't front and centre in half the worlds bookshops nobody would have heard of it. I would advice people to browse on good reads and amazon instead of buying from the very narrow selection offered at most bookshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Read it cause I got caught up in the hype,

What utter crap it was. I liked the pace of it till about half way through them it just turned rubber after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

blue_steel wrote: »
    Cannot comprehend the positive reviews for this garbage. I read about 80 pages before throwing it into the recycling bin. Wouldn't even give this one to Oxfam because I'd feel guilty for propagating drivel.
    Derivative and dull, the fact the author refuses to use words of more than three syllables illustrates who he was aiming this at. Ie people who think Stephen King, Niall Gaiman and James Herbert can write.

Entitled to your own opinion as you are, i think it hardly fair to slam authors like King, Gaiman and Herbert, all wonderful authors IMO but i would never force that opinion on others. They may not be your particular cup of tea but there's no denying their popularity and success. And if you really did throw the book in the recycling bin, thats a disgrace... if you wont read it, other people who cant afford to buy books would love the opportunity. Literature should never be binned.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

think you're in the minority there pal,

400million book sales between them (conservative estimate)

good morning.

To each their own as they say. I don't think it's nice to judge people's intelligence based upon their reading likes!

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    Entitled to your own opinion as you are, i think it hardly fair to slam authors like King, Gaiman and Herbert, all wonderful authors IMO but i would never force that opinion on others. They may not be your particular cup of tea but there's no denying their popularity and success. And if you really did throw the book in the recycling bin, thats a disgrace... if you wont read it, other people who cant afford to buy books would love the opportunity. Literature should never be binned.:mad:

I agree. I'm shocked that anyone would even think of throwing away a newish book. I'd understand it if the book was in tatters.

As some of you may know, I'm a member of www.bookcrossing.com. I have just recently posted two copies of "The Passage" to Book Crossers abroad.

Please don't ever throw away your books, there is always someone who would love to read them, especially "The Passage".

I suppose what I'm saying also is that I respect everyone's taste. I am willing to try every genre, and I wouln't really trash a book just because I don't like it. For example, I've said already that I'm not into chick lit. However I have no problem with those who do, that is their choice. I'm just happy to see people with a book in their hand & enjoying reading.

• Advertisement

I have nothing against good pop fiction. Tim Powers and GM Hague are far more exciting and readable than Justin Cronin but they don't have a massive publishing machine behind them so most people don't know them. If "the passage" wasn't front and centre in half the worlds bookshops nobody would have heard of it. I would advice people to browse on good reads and amazon instead of buying from the very narrow selection offered at most bookshops.

I do of course, browse the various internet on line stores before I buy. I actually found out about "The Passage" here on boards, on this Literature forum. I'll look up the authors that you recommend. That's what I mean, I'm open to trying other people's recommendations. That's the beauty of literature, there is always something new and exciting to read.

I certainly wouldn't be relying on the chain book stores. However, the top 20 bestsellers can be a good indication of people's taste. I have found a lot of good books through movie/tv show tie-ins. Though nothing beats finding a treasure in a small book shop.

thebullkf wrote: »
    think you're in the minority there pal.

Nothing wrong with that.
    400million book sales between them (conservative estimate)

Ergo what exactly? By that rationale The Bible is the best book ever written. Or even worse, The Da Vinci Code :D
    Sales have no bearing on quality.

Nothing wrong with that.

Ergo what exactly? By that rationale The Bible is the best book ever written. Or even worse, The Da Vinci Code :D
    Sales have no bearing on quality.

Indeed but by your rationale being unable to continue after 40 or so pages of the Bible would see you throwing it in the bin... or one step further, burning the remaining pages on the streets. Sales have no bearing on quality but neither does your inability to continue beyond the first few chapters. I stand by what I said... you should honestly be ashamed that you threw out literature, recycling bin or not.:mad:

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    Indeed but by your rationale being unable to continue after 40 or so pages of the Bible would see you throwing it in the bin... or one step further, burning the remaining pages on the streets. Sales have no bearing on quality but neither does your inability to continue beyond the first few chapters. I stand by what I said... you should honestly be ashamed that you threw out literature, recycling bin or not.:mad:

Get over it. I give dozens of books to Oxfam every year. I threw out a crap piece of pulp fiction not literature. And I certainly wouldn't waste my time reading a thousand pages of drivel when there are a world of good books out there.
    Ps I used to work in a charity shop and I hate to break it to you but large quantities of the books donated end up in recycling because nobody wants them :pac:

Get over it. I give dozens of books to Oxfam every year. I threw out a crap piece of pulp fiction not literature. And I certainly wouldn't waste my time reading a thousand pages of drivel when there are a world of good books out there.
    Ps I used to work in a charity shop and I hate to break it to you but large quantities of the books donated end up in recycling because nobody wants them :pac:

The term 'literature' covers a wide scope and just because you found yourself unable to read beyond a few pages speaks volumes about your capabilities and not indeed the quality of the book.
    If you did, as you claim, work in a charity shop then that should hit home to you the importance of recycling books and other items. Set up a car boot sale, organise something with your local library... ANYTHING is better than throwing a book in the bin.

Advertisement