Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of children, say it's not true!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

ash23 wrote: »
    someone being bullied shouldn't stand up for themselves, rich or poor.
    Any child can be bullied, for any reason. I'm confused at this turn of events anyway as you stated in previous posts that kids with tatty clothes would suffer low self esteem and be bullied as their parents buy booze instead of new clothes. Now its the kids with the new runners who are the victims and the poorer kids are the ones doing the bullying?
    :confused:

Depends what school you child goes to, and how many poor/rich kids are in the class. Clashes with mainly poor kids will pick on rich kids, where as classes with mainly rich kids will pick on the poor kids.

Fitting in is hard very hard. what dives a poor kid to bully jealousy there is no way round that one, what drive and rich kid to bully "snobbery" that can be worked on by the parents.

the boy in my lady's class (the one whose sister si being bullied) had his go karts robbed from his house, the poor romanian boy stole them and had them repainted within an hour. The poor romanian boy is in the same class, his clothes are always scruffy. This boy isn't pick on as such but only a couple of the kids in the class play with him, my daughter wont even sit next to him let alone play with him, she says he scares her (not verbal) just something physical about him that unnerves her.

When a rich kids is being bullied you know its because of what they have, when a poor kids is being bullied you know it beaceu of what they dont have.

Im sure if i took a look at the crime stats that poor people are more likely to steel/murder/mug/rape than the rich, given that the rich do it aswell but poor would be more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I bought a house at 25 when all of them remained in council housing, some people are just jealous of others accomplishments.

Many days out are free, parks/woods/beaches.

And what of council housing? Ever think they resented you looking down on them for having to avail of social housing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Depends what school you child goes to, and how many poor/rich kids are in the class. Clashes with mainly poor kids will pick on rich kids, where as classes with mainly rich kids will pick on the poor kids.

Fitting in is hard very hard. what dives a poor kid to bully jealousy there is no way round that one, what drive and rich kid to bully "snobbery" that can be worked on by the parents.

the boy in my lady's class (the one whose sister si being bullied) had his go karts robbed from his house, the poor romanian boy stole them and had them repainted within an hour. The poor romanian boy is in the same class, his clothes are always scruffy. This boy isn't pick on as such but only a couple of the kids in the class play with him, my daughter wont even sit next to him let alone play with him, she says he scares her (not verbal) just something physical about him that unnerves her.

When a rich kids is being bullied you know its because of what they have, when a poor kids is being bullied you know it beaceu of what they dont have.

Im sure if i took a look at the crime stats that poor people are more likely to steel/murder/mug/rape than the rich, given that the rich do it aswell but poor would be more likely.
    Oh my god, I just can't even respond to this nonsense anymore. You're making mass generalisations and accusations, mentioning what people are on welfare, nationality etc.

We'll just agree to disagree and you can pop me into the catagory of "single mother who drinks and is jealous because she buys second hand and I buy new and she rents and I own a house etc etc".
    You judge everyone by what they have and what they spend, their clothes, their homes, what car they drive and what toys their kids have. I can't imagine living like that myself, it must be exhausting trying to keep up with the Jones' rather than just enjoying things for what they are and not what they cost.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*mod note*

Can we get this thread back on track please?

It should not be a debate on peoples opinions of bad parents vs good parents but back on topic to how expensive kids are.
    If it keeps going the way that it is then I will close this thread.

ash23 wrote: »
    And what of council housing? Ever think they resented you looking down on them for having to avail of social housing?
    Sorry MOD but i do feel i have to answer that as everyone will think i hate people in council houses.

Not a hope in hell, these people (when i was 14 working full time) used to steel money off me and hide it on the older sisters 2 year old son as they knew i would not check him due to my level of morals, their morals were so much lower that they stole (she happened to be my brothers girlfriend), (so much more happened but im not getting into that) It was pure jealousy and lack of respect that they showed, am i to look up to people who steal? I dont look down on them, i think they could have made better choices, should i have just sunk to their level and punched them ? No, i ended up trying to top my self, and that then opened my eyes and that turned my life around, I bettered my self and F*** that, Im proud of it.

Kids are as expensive as you make them, you can make them as cheap as chips, if that's what you are will to buy them!

Of now to have lunch with my husband, I dont mean to annoy anyone (I'm sure i do) and a lot of comments made on different threads i agree/disagree with, i am outspoken and opinionated, I'm not going to apologise for being that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Outspoken and opinionated I can handle. Ignoring a mod warning I will not. Final warning. Enjoy your lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone else think it's very easy to spot a persons background by their inclination towards labels?

The wealthiest people I know wear very little in the way of labels, or designer gear with no visible logos.

Those who have come into money recently, who's parents came into money during their childhood or who found themselves with access to lots of cheap credit during the bubble seem to prioritise designer stuff far more and logos would be more visible.

Then you head to the worst parts of any town and all you see is logos: even if the clothing is counterfeit, the logo / signature pattern (think LV / Burberry) will take up half the area of the material.

I can remember being picked on for not having the right brand of runners and the peer pressure to have the same clothing brands as everyone else when I was in a relatively poor school in Bray. In a better school in Galway, while I wouldn't say that pressure was absent, it was certainly less intense.

If I'd the money to throw around (i.e. lotto millions) today, I'd still gleefully empty the shelves in Hugo Boss, Billabong or Quiksilver and, while I'd like to think it's because I've always liked their clothing lines, I'd be lying to say the brand name had no influence whatsover in that desire and it probably relates back to my experiences in the schools in Bray.

Whilst most of our (and the kids) clothing comes from Dunnes / Penneys we would treat ourselves to some nicer stuff from Next, TK-Maxx, Kildare Outlet or Internet sites (I have a weakness for quirky /funny t-shirts!) a few times a year and then maybe an item or two from the nicer stores for Christmas / weddings etc. Our kids are young enough that they'll wear whatever they're given at this stage: Rory would regularly wear James' hand-me-downs even if they're boys clothes, it's not like her sandpit is paying any attention!

To be honest, it's not something I give much thought to and anyone into "fashion" would be able to tell that I don't really give a damn about it the moment they met me. I'd have no problem buying second hand and probably should look into it as who can't think of things it'd be nice to have a few extra euros to spend on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sleepy - did you miss my post about getting this thread back on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Apologies, I thought the modding was related to the veiled attacks in some of the posts rather than the veering of the thread towards the topic of the necessity to provide new / brand-label clothing for children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I don't buy second hand clothes but I often get stuff from the US or I buy in Dunnes.

I don't skimp on kids shoes. EVER.

I also have no life to spend any money on.

I had a foreign holiday for 4 cents return on RA. Yes FOUR cents total.

I have asked people to stop buying my son crappy toys that I have no storage for and I end up picking up all over the place and buy vouchers or clothes instead. They did this for about five minutes and are still sending crap to the house. Time to issue another request.

I will be pushing my son hard at school and outside of it so he can avail of American merit based scholarships when he is old enough.

*I really really want to dispel some of the mythology Grindelwald has posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Trying for my first baby at the moment. I plan on only buying the basics, I will buy one of those cots that also can be made into a bed when the child is older, I will buy a fold up buggy and pad it out with blankets etc. until the baby is old enough to support itself, I will hopefully breast feed to save on formula (plus it's healthier) and won't be feeding jarred food, it'll be homemade and frozen in batches. I will have no problems using family hand-me-downs like a baby bath, steriliser, monitors, play pen, play mats, Christening gowns etc.
    These are a few money savers I plan on using to cut down on costs for our child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Trying for my first baby at the moment. I plan on only buying the basics, I will buy one of those cots that also can be made into a bed when the child is older, I will buy a fold up buggy and pad it out with blankets etc. until the baby is old enough to support itself, I will hopefully breast feed to save on formula (plus it's healthier) and won't be feeding jarred food, it'll be homemade and frozen in batches. I will have no problems using family hand-me-downs like a baby bath, steriliser, monitors, play pen, play mats, Christening gowns etc.
    These are a few money savers I plan on using to cut down on costs for our child.

The maclaren xlr is a fold up buggy and can be used from birth as it lies flat. I'd like them but didn't like neutral colour and didn't no sex so got different buggy. Its not cheap cheap but you'll be using it for at least 2 years+. Also jarred food is handy to give once or twice so that baby doesn't refused it when your stuck. I've heard of people going on holidays and baby wouldn't eat jars.

http://www.childrensrights.ie/files/Child_Poverty.pdf

Makes interesting reading, its about child poverty in ireland. Which i think is very much to do with the cost of raising kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Hasnt things like baby wipes,formula and nappys gotten cheaper in the last few years tho?? My son is 5 and was recently buyin some bits to make a hamper for a pregnent friend of mine.... Wipes wer 5 for 5euro?? They were never that cheap surely??

Stuff is way cheaper here then it ways 2 years ago,formula was twice the uk price,baby wipes were quite expensive.
    We used to go north for everything as it saved us a fortune.
    This time around baby wipes work out at about a euro for the nice huggies ones,formula is half the price aswell.

http://www.childrensrights.ie/files/Child_Poverty.pdf

Makes interesting reading, its about child poverty in ireland. Which i think is very much to do with the cost of raising kids.

That is a seven year old report.
    Is there anything recent that is similar?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is a seven year old report.
    Is there anything recent that is similar?

http://www.barnardos.ie/assets/files/Advocacy/Campaigns/PDFs/2010/The%20Experience%20and%20Scale%20of%20Child%20Poverty%20in%20Ireland%20-%20dec%202010.pdf

http://www.endchildpoverty.ie/publications/documents/EndChildPovertyCoalitionChildPoverty-IrelandinRecession.pdf

The report from 2004 is still very much valid (as is its definition of poverty), poverty has increased to 97,000 children (2011) there were 66,000 in poverty in 2004.

Advertisement