Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Moving student email to GMail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It'll still be ucdconnect.ie, but with all the facilities associated with GMail including Calendar and Google Docs. I worked on a group project this semester and we collaborated that way. You can actually have more than one person working on the same document, and see the other people's changes in near-real time, but the performance did go downhill badly when we did that.

I'll be curious to see whether they make full use of the Calendar e.g. automatically insert lecture and exam times. If you have a device that supports the Microsoft Exchange protocol (incl. iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Windows Mobile) you should be able to sync your Calendar and Contacts as well as email, as I've been doing with my Gmail account.

PS: Brownie points to the IT staff for not doing this in the middle of a working semester. Anyone remember the great Blackboard outage a couple of years ago?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I just forward my UCD Connect mail into Gmail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

bnt wrote: »
    PS: Brownie points to the IT staff for not doing this in the middle of a working semester. Anyone remember the great Blackboard outage a couple of years ago?

Would have made a lot more sense to delay it for 2 weeks and do it after the exams process though in fairness, just in case of any teething problems (and/or so people can get used to the new system at a time when they wont be sending any urgent emails to lecturers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Blut2 wrote: »
    Would have made a lot more sense to delay it for 2 weeks and do it after the exams process though in fairness, just in case of any teething problems (and/or so people can get used to the new system at a time when they wont be sending any urgent emails to lecturers).

Thats what is happening, this isnt coming in til the end of May.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I use the mail client on my Mac to check and send all my email so this won't really affect me. But the integration with Google Calendar and Docs will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Will the ucdconnect.ie email expire after one graduates? I have come to appreciate it like I appreciate my mobile number

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Will the ucdconnect.ie email expire after one graduates? I have come to appreciate it like I appreciate my mobile number
    Eventually, yes. I think it can continue to work for up to a year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Eventually, yes. I think it can continue to work for up to a year though.

Even with this new Google powered system?

Well, yeah, that might change now that they are going with Google. It depends whether they want former students to have a UCD email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

A friend of mine whose account expired was able to get it reactivated as he had emails that he needed for a masters application, so they could be easily kept on if UCD wanted.

I would like to keep it now that its powered by gmail, would be nice to have a UCD account that we could continue to use after graduating, like in Trinity, except for my god awful email address, ****.**-******@ucdconnect.ie. Its so fcuking long and awkward. It's the dash they put into my second name and the @ucdconnect.ie that make it so cumbersome.

I wish it was just firstname.secondname@ucd.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

WeeBushy wrote: »
    A friend of mine whose account expired was able to get it reactivated as he had emails that he needed for a masters application, so they could be easily kept on if UCD wanted.

I would like to keep it now that its powered by gmail, would be nice to have a UCD account that we could continue to use after graduating, like in Trinity, except for my god awful email address, ****.**-******@ucdconnect.ie. Its so fcuking long and awkward. It's the dash they put into my second name and the @ucdconnect.ie that make it so cumbersome.

I wish it was just firstname.secondname@ucd.ie

Ask them to change it, if it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ask them to change it, if it's available.

I didn't know you could change it... interesting. Doubt I could get rid of the connect bit though, @ucd.ie is the preserve of staff afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You can get your address changed once, i know someone who originally had theirs in irish but wanted it changed

My bloody connect email is xxxxxxx.xxxxx.7@ucdconnect.ie i don't feel very unique

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I emailed them a week ago asking if we could keep our email addresses when we graduate as I am just finished this week. They replied back saying they havent made a decision yet but mentioned something about the cost and stuff so they didn't sound too optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I imagine you get to keep it if your an alumni? (ie pay them).

Advertisement