Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome towing a car trailer & car

• 04-05-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

first off I admit, I'm jealous, would love that have all that dosh.

But does it strike anyone as a bit excessive to have the above rig. isnt the point of a motorhome that its so flexible and can be parked anywhere. if you're going to be towing then why not stick with towing a caravan and save a fortune.

Am a caravan owner - if that makes any difference.

I love the motorhome with motorbike idea. Anyone ever seen a motorbike mounted on a caravan??, that could be fun (am small time motorbike enthusiast as well).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Betsy Og wrote: »
    first off I admit, I'm jealous, would love that have all that dosh.

But does it strike anyone as a bit excessive to have the above rig. isnt the point of a motorhome that its so flexible and can be parked anywhere. if you're going to be towing then why not stick with towing a caravan and save a fortune.

Am a caravan owner - if that makes any difference.

I love the motorhome with motorbike idea. Anyone ever seen a motorbike mounted on a caravan??, that could be fun (am small time motorbike enthusiast as well).

Suppose it depend on how serious of a camper enthusiast you are. I saw people with Leveling blocks, hooked up to waste outlets, water in, wind breakers, satellite dishes etccc. Would take a while to pack all that up just to pop to the shops... Then a car on the back would be handy, especially if you are going to a place for a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

its the ideal job for on the continent as when ya set up camp you want to be able to relax and if you need something youd have to pack all up to go to the shops or what ever little cars like a smart car would be the best as they would be light and ya wouldnt be going far in them.in france last year this old dutch couple towed a caravan with their camper it was a small van factory built and they would just go off touring for a few days then arrive back. that said the oddest thing i ever seen a camper tow was a small tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

We travel all over the country to car rally events and a small car is a necessity. We wouldn't be able to take the MH up the tiny roads to watch the rally without alot of stress. So that's our reason for the "rig".Only down side is extra fuel cost when towing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

that said the oddest thing i ever seen a camper tow was a small tractor

Something like this that I got stuck behind in Wexford last year :D
    [IMG][/img]picture.php?albumid=1473&pictureid=7875

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Hi Folks, I get that its handy to have something to drive around in when you get there, and you cant pack up the whole shebang to get to the shop, but if you always use the motorhome to tow wouldnt it be the same thing to tow a caravan with a car?, you'd still have the car when you get there and no need to pack up to get to shops.

I guess some people use "just" the motorhome on some occasions. Or are there people who draw a big distinction between a motorhome and a caravan and would only sleep in a motorhome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Personally, I just think that Caravans aren't the same. They don't have the same appeal to me.

Thanks Fingers, it kinda talllies with my own impression that caravan ownership is less appealing (to a big degree) to Irish people than campervan/motorhome.

Considering there are reputedly something like 1 million caravan owners in the UK, if there was the same 1:60 ratio here there'd be something like 83,000 on the island. I'd say even 10% of that, 8,300, would probably be an exaggeration!

Given the similarities in culture (music, sport, tv etc etc) isnt that a bit surprising? While I gather there was a big 'revolution' in caravanning in the UK in 50's & 60's with so many manufacturers etc that might explain why so popular in the UK, but it doesnt really explain why so unpopular in Ireland.

I think it might be linked to a) the association with travellers and people only seeing caravans on roadside halting sites and b) caravans being seen as a bit "downmarket" compared to motorhomes- maybe again due to the traveller thing.

Any views on the big discrepancy between Ireland and the UK on this one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Any views on the big discrepancy between Ireland and the UK on this one??

Betsy there is probably a PhD thesis in answering that one. I think if you were to expand your the historic factor (boom in caravaning in 50/60 in UK) to include the Economic factors (wages rates, GDP, economic outlook, cost of caravans, etc), access routes and cost to get to the continent, state of road network, cars per population, availability of facilities etc you might be on the road (pardon the pun) to your answer.

:DGood luck with the PhD see you in 3-5 years :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WildWater wrote: »
    Betsy there is probably a PhD thesis in answering that one. I think if you were to expand your the historic factor (boom in caravaning in 50/60 in UK) to include the Economic factors (wages rates, GDP, economic outlook, cost of caravans, etc), access routes and cost to get to the continent, state of road network, cars per population, availability of facilities etc you might be on the road (pardon the pun) to your answer.

:DGood luck with the PhD see you in 3-5 years :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good points. We wont bother the PhD and we'll keep it to a net question: "Do you think there are negative preceptions associated with caravanning which are uniquely Irish?"

If I was to guess I'd say most of the growth in Irish leisure touring (if we use that as a catchall phrase) will be in motorhomes. This is at a time of economic austerity, when you'd expect the cheaper option (caravans) to gain more ground. Just keeping it to an Irish context simplifies it as most other things are equal (roads, GDP etc etc).

Good points. We wont bother the PhD and we'll keep it to a net question: "Do you think there are negative preceptions associated with caravanning which are uniquely Irish?"

If I was to guess I'd say most of the growth in Irish leisure touring (if we use that as a catchall phrase) will be in motorhomes. This is at a time of economic austerity, when you'd expect the cheaper option (caravans) to gain more ground. Just keeping it to an Irish context simplifies it as most other things are equal (roads, GDP etc etc).
    yes a certain type of people. the ones of a travailing sort

• Advertisement

Forza - do you think thats a (material) factor is turning the rest of the population off the general idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If I take my MH for a weekend trip and find a nice spot by the Shannon or forest area etc, I can park up for the night without creating too much fuss. Try do the same with a caravan where you'd probably find an angry mob thinking we're going to stay for the month.
    The lack of good quality campsites across the country may also be a factor. The UK has a huge amount of campsites, located close to where people want to visit with good attractions and facilities near by.
    I've been on caravan holidays, always found the caravan to be more spacious and handy to have a car for local exploring, my only difficulty was trying to find somewhere to park.

Forza - do you think thats a (material) factor is turning the rest of the population off the general idea?
    it is because of them that their is so little lay bys to pull in and stay over night, most of our population when on a holiday want the sun. so they see no reason to stay here or travel abroad in a camper rather a cheap package holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,834 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I saw this on Sunday in Dublin heading from Portmarnock to Howth. Thought I'd stick it up here seeing as you are chatting about it! He could move too! Very quick.

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

(lurking here, hard core climber, backwoods, camper, bivouacer, canoeist getting old :D The camper has to be the way to go!)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Personally, I just think that Caravans aren't the same. They don't have the same appeal to me.

well i'm kinda going the other way: just sold my second motorhome and gonna try a caravan!...biggest problem with the motorhome was the colossal depreciation and mpg. the german caravan i'm looking at appears better built and a lot more spacious, but will keep you posted as it could turn out to be a disaster!...that being said modern caravans seem to be the same as motorhomes ie fixed beds/on board tanks/proper heating/leisure batteries etc and no insurance/tax/fuel to pay for. and about 1/4 of the price aswell....looking at hobby/knaus or maybe adria

our adria twin seems to run on nothing. seriously economical. did this in france last year in under half a tank http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl cherbourg to pons 600+km

edit to add. somebody forget to drain the water tank so we had a 3/4 full tank on our travels

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

our adria twin seems to run on nothing. seriously economical. did this in france last year in under half a tank http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl cherbourg to pons 600+km

the adria is a really nice van alright. the one i just sold was a 6 berth coachbuilt 07 with overcab about 4 tons weight and 20-24 mpg at best lost approx 18000 in depreciation alone!, i bought secondhand first owner lost a further 19000...lot of holidays there. current depreciation in ireland approx 50% in 2-3 years, you wont see many 10 or 11 reg campers i reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

shanec1928 wrote: »
    this old dutch couple towed a caravan with their camper

Would you need a CE license for that? Or at the very least a C1E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

isnt the point of a motorhome that its so flexible and can be parked anywhere. if you're going to be towing then why not stick with towing a caravan and save a fortune.

There are places you'd like to go (like most of the Côte d'Azur) where it's really hard to park "anywhere" so you have to park miles away from the town centres and use some other transport to get there. Public transport is frequently of limited usefulness because the last services to wherever you've parked finish up well before "closing time"

Then there'll be places you'll want to go where caravans aren't very practical (big events with big carparks, or fields passing themselves off as temporary campsites). Just because there's a motorhome on the road ahead of you towing a car today, doesn't mean it'll be towing a car on a trip next month. If you've (only) got a caravan, you have no choice.

fatbast wrote: »
    about 4 tons weight and 20-24 mpg at best lost approx 18000 in depreciation alone!, i bought secondhand first owner lost a further 19000...lot of holidays there.

Same as mine ... but I don't see the depreciation in the same terms. In fact, in the course of looking for other info last week, I was surprised to see that mine is probably still worth about 50% of what I paid for it 14 years ago. The way I use it, that works out at about 15€ per night: for "all mod cons" self-catering accommodation. A car would lose just as much value in depreciation, and wouldn't be half as comfortable to sleep in! :D

2f7661acdc2f16c207cda9848cad7120ec80b177398d3701a777cae6953d5a99.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement