Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you leave your child unattended?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

My mammy leaves me in the car on my own all the time......but then again she lets me go on After Hours on my own too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with leaving a child in the car, just make sure to keep all the windows closed to stop any animals/insects getting in.

What happens when you come out and the car is gone. Or just the child? Doing it while keeping the child in sight, is one thing. But a child who needs to be strapped in is very young, and for 40mins. Report them.

http://www.google.ie/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=Child+left+in+car&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=3b7eab29d45f9dfe&biw=1280&bih=857&safe=vss

Of course its not impossible to forget a child...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html?sid=ST2009030602446

But at least reporting them, might save the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

hondasam wrote: »
    did the gardai speak to her or was she gone when they got there?

I didn't stick around. She left before i did and i saw no gards so she got away scott free. Although they do have her registration if they wanted to pay her a visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I would never ever ever ever ever ever leave my kid unattended at home or in a car (but I'm extremely over protective). A neighbour's christmas tree went on fire a few years ago when they popped to the local shop, the house was destroyed by the time they got home. It really frightened the life out of me, imagine if they had left young children in bed.... very scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

i see more and more of this happening....as a mother of one i wood never do this....

recently ive seen parents going out in cars of the estate i live in and leaving the kids (as young as 4) playin on the street...hour or two later and then they come back....is this the norm to do with the childer?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

PinkFly wrote: »
    i see more and more of this happening....as a mother of one i wood never do this....

recently ive seen parents going out in cars of the estate i live in and leaving the kids (as young as 4) playin on the street...hour or two later and then they come back....is this the norm to do with the childer?:confused:

I don't know it its normal. I'd certainly wouldn't do it, but there could be a chance a neighbour is looking after them for an hour or so. There could also have been an adult in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nessy382

The mother would want to be ashamed off herself thats a disgrace.. how could she be so careless????

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

I was working in a home store a few yrs back (Expect more, pay less!). Security gaurd comes in with a child who he spotted getting out of a jeep he was left in on his own. Turned out he was asleep so the mother left him there while she did her shopping. He was about 3 and opened the car himself and hopped out for a wander into a busy carpark.
    We put out numerous calls on the tannoy but no sign of the mum.
    She was prob in another store. I took the kid down to a toy section as he was pretty scared and missing his mum. after about 20 -30 mins who comes strolling past with a trolley full but his mum. " Oh (johnny, timmy insert name here") what are you doing here. Not a bother on her she didnt even get flustered as I tried to explain to her the danger he could have gotten into. She continued off with her shopping round the store and as I watched she barely kept an eye on the little fellow who kept running out of her sight unchecked meanwhile my nerves were shot in case he made a run for the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I didn't stick around. She left before i did and i saw no gards so she got away scott free. Although they do have her registration if they wanted to pay her a visit!

:mad: Hate the fact she got away with it as she probably done it before and now will do it again. I would have wrote a note about the fact she's a shít parent and left it under the wiper.

This stuff pees me off big time. people wouldnt leave something important like a wallet or handbag in a car alone for a few minutes while they ran to shop or wherever, why do they think its okay to leave their most precious thing alone??

Same with seat belts. I often see young toddlers being bounced around car back seats, yet I bet if you gave the parents a flat screen tv, or a piece of waterford crystal, they'd make sure it was safely harnessed, but their young kids are left to bounce around...??? The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LG3

not a good idea to approach parent, one woman told me 'i should be ashamed of myself' cos i wouldnt buy my child a magazine, she was crying,. We cant buy our kids something everytime we go into a shop, especially kids maganines most costin €4 - €6!! I ate the woman out of it she'l defently keep her comments to herself in future, when it comes to how a parent should raise their child its a no go area!! Lady who saw child in car should have called security of the cops,.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

No parent should ever leave their child unattended. OP, you could post the reg number on the parents forum and let them hunt her down like a pack of wolves! :D

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

dclane wrote: »
    I would do it if I could see them 100% for either the petrol station window or xtravision. No way would I do it for 40 mins!

You still go to Xtra vision?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As long as she had a 'baby on board' sticker I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Personally i wouldn't even leave a dog in the car on a warm day such as today without
    supervision.

Today was a warm day?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What about "duty of care", she was most likely breaking the law - wreckless endangerment, abandoment, and negligence. Sounds like the type that would let children jump around the car whilst driving without being strapped in !

The COW !:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The law it is (so I have been informed) that you cannot leave a child on its own for a long period of time if its 12 or under.
    40 minutes to me, I'd consider far too long.
    Seriously.

We can rant and rave, make sarcastic remarks (even some stupid ones) but given that there is enough perverts around/next door and you just don't know it, they looking all the times for opportunities, etc, 40 minutes is for me just too, too long.

Its sometimes the same type of parents that later find out a child has gone missing or something has happened to them - and then they wonder how the hell such things occur!

Its called stupidity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Biggins wrote: »
    make sartorial remarks...

Jaysus, no-one was criticising the child's clothing. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

bronte wrote: »
    Didn't someone's kid die from being stuck in a hot car in a similar situation?

Idiotic anyway.

I remember reading at least three children died in separate accidents in the space of a week last year.

I remember reading at least three children died in separate accidents in the space of a week last year.
    Same here. Shocking events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Was in Dundrum earlier this afternoon and was sitting in the car for about 40 minutes
    waiting for a seller from Adverts. The car parked beside me had a young child strapped
    into their child seat in the back. About two minutes before i was about to leave the
    mother came back got into the car with shopping and went on her merry way.

Personally i wouldn't even leave a dog in the car on a warm day such as today without
    supervision. I think it's a disgrace this mother thinks she can leave her 2-3 year old in
    the car alone for such an extended period of time.

What is your opinion on this?
    You should have removed the child and left the corpse of Madeline McCann in it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

These type of parents wreck my head. She would have been the very one crying on the telly pleading for her child back had the child gone missing or burnt to death in the car . I remember the year Maddie Mcann went missing .Could not believe her parents had left their 3 kids in a room and went off to have food with other adults .They were lucky the twins were not taken too . PARENTS LIKE THIS CAUSE ME GREAT STRESS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

If it was on the street then there's a chance the mother was somewhere where she could see the car for the whole time, like in a coffee shop window or something. But even still, it's a disgrace.

And if the child was already alone when the OP arrived, who knows how long before this the mother actually got out of the car...she could have been gone for much longer than 40 mins.

There is a park playarea on my home town that I'm told by my wife, some parents leave their very young kids (3 to 6 year olds) in it for over two hours alone, abandoning them for hours upon end.
    Its been said to me before by others and I have brought it up in the Louth section - and yes, I have reported the matter to the Gardi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You should have removed the child and left the corpse of Madeline McCann in it's place.

What kind of comment is this to make?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Whats the big deal? I have memories of being abandoned everywhere as a kid and I'm still alive:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Biggins wrote: »
    There is a park playarea on my home town that I'm told by my wife, some parents leave their very young kids (3 to 6 year olds) in it for over two hours alone, abandoning them for hours upon end.
    Its been said to me before by others and I have brought it up in the Louth section - and yes, I have reported the matter to the Gardi.

must be a louth thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

I am told that when I was younger my Dad left me at the side of a dual carriageway because I would not stop fighting with my sister!

He thought he could leave me there for a minute and go turn around and pick me up but there was no place to turn off for ages so I was there for awhile!

Fecking eejit like!

Did me no harm that i know of..............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

vicwatson wrote: »
    What kind of comment is this to make?:o

A funny one! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i was at a family fun day at a church event in shankill village a few years back ,
    we parked out on the main road like most others , passed one car and it had a 1 year old or less having a crying fit in its child seat , me and the wife were very distressed at this vista - we waited for about 5 mins and decided to go to the event organizers - they put a call out for the mother / father to go quickly back and deal with the child

15 mins later another call was put out via the PA but this time the announcer was very agitated and upset and was demanding that this child be delt with NOW , it was a hot day and the child had been crying for at least 20 mins at this stage

we left about 10/15 minutes later and started to walk back towards the car , at this stage a group of concerned people were debating should they put the window in and get the kid out from the car

as we were leaving to move the car i could hear the ambulance/fire brigade / cops coming in the distance

now i ask ya , what kind of cnut would leave a BABY on its own for so long ?? honest 2 god i cant understand the sheer ignorance and stupidity of some parents - a good dig in the face would have been perfectly justified for either male or female in this case :mad: they would not be so quick to do it again , poor child :mad:

Advertisement