Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

random laser card use

Options
  • 04-05-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Ive just had a look at my account online today and have noticed a point of sale laser card use called POS- Siopa an Choir---
    I use my card quite a bit so cannot remember using it for the amount shown.

I dont recognise the shop name so presume its a business name and not the name over the door.

Any idea how I can figure out what the name of the actual shop was?

i have googled it- no joy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

POS usually refers to "Point of Sale", i.e. the till. "Siopa an Choir" appears to translate as "The Crime Shop". :D

Ring your bank to query it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

just did same thing and translated the name :D hope the Op will have this thing sorted with the bank.

I'd call the internet banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LG3

would it be a petrol station? I noticed they dnt always have e.g. maxol printed on statement, i usually get €30 or €40 and a few cent so i'll know its most likely petrol if i dnt recognise the name of shop etc,.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

The bank do not know! Well aib online or phone banking dont know- they say i have to go to a branch and put in a request so they can search back through their receipts to see what the store name was!!

otherwise Im advised to just cancel my card.

Its nuts that the name over the door is not the same as the pos that shows on your account:mad:

thought about the petrol station thing too but its for 13.23 too little for petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DerekG

I wouldn't stress too much if it's for so little.
    usually if someone gets your card or it get's cloned they tend to go for all they can as quickly as they can as they expect to get caught quickly.
    Laser transactions can take a day or two before they rename themselves on your statement/online banking.
    I'd keep a really close eye on it, but personally I wouldn't go through the hassle of cancelling cards for such a small amount... but if you do make sure to take out a bit of cash first to keep you going for a week or so until the new card arrives

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

DerekG wrote: »
    I wouldn't stress too much if it's for so little.

Except if it was a trial purchase to test the account validity.

If you don't know what this transaction was, but are sure it wasn't you that did it, then cancel your card. Go to a branch and get the trace done too, to find out where it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DerekG

jor el wrote: »
    Except if it was a trial purchase to test the account validity.

If you don't know what this transaction was, but are sure it wasn't you that did it, then cancel your card. Go to a branch and get the trace done too, to find out where it happened.

I would agree on that. If you are absolutley sure it wasn't you then cancel. But chances are in a day or two you'll realise it was a book you ordered online, or a small shop you stopped in for bread & milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

I know Im brutal- I use the card so often I cannot say for sure that I didnt make the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

The use of an Irish name is interesting - were you anywhere near a Gaeltacht?

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

cancel this card and order new one, it'll take four days i think and you will regain your peace of mind. I don't keep track of my purchases either, but i don't spend as much (not much to spend :D), but if I were you,i'd probably at least keep all the receipts for few weeks after, it's probably too much to ask...just useless rubbish...

• Advertisement
Advertisement