Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vickers German style helmet

Options
  • 04-05-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I saw one of these for sale in The Armourer for 450 pounds. It included a badge, but otherwise it was hard to see its original colour, which was dark green?

Apparently only 10,000 were produced. I think there is an example of one in Collins Barracks, but you rarely see one in good nick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Am I correct in thinking these are the ones that were scrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

kowloon wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking these are the ones that were scrapped?

they were withdrawn before 1940 as the Allies confused our troops with Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

My neighbour has one in perfect condition (original green paint but less the badge), which was only tossed out by the army less than ten years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I was in a Pub once which had one up on a shelf..must enquire about it.

If I recall correctly There were a few for sale on one of the Irish collecting sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Probably only a myth but I was once told they had loads of these in storage for years before crushing them 10 or 15 years ago to free up storage space.

There's one for sale on Wehrmacht Forums for yonks but no-one is biting at $850 plus fees. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69&order=desc&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

There's one on ebay at the moment for 110 euros with no bids,I haven't the link at hand I'm afraid so if anyone is interested have a quick search.Also on ebay.com a guy is selling an endless supply of these in various states of condition on a weekly basis,he has countless numbers of these sold so someone must of found a stash of these somewhere.Again have a search there there may be some listed at the moment but I haven't checked now in the past few weeks.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Probably only a myth but I was once told they had loads of these in storage for years before crushing them 10 or 15 years ago to free up storage space.

There's one for sale on Wehrmacht Forums for yonks but no-one is biting at $850 plus fees. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69&order=desc&page=2

I know about twenty years ago there were hundreds still in storage in the curragh and the army did not know what to do with them. a friend was told he could take as many as he could carry away and came away with about a hundred of them.

100, ahh sure thats too many, if he wants to get rid of one or two tell him to throw them my way, im sure i have a bit of space in my attic for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

There were a few on sale at the Curragh show, one was 150 including the repro badge.
    Cheers.
    Tom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I heard ages ago that several hundred of these were buried in a hole somewhere in wicklow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Degsy wrote: »
    I heard ages ago that several hundred of these were buried in a hole somewhere in wicklow..

I heard something similar to that, but in that case they were used to fill in a

foundation for some building, possibly a barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

there was a suggestion somewhere that some of the Vickers helmets were used when the "Blue Max" was being filmed in Co Wicklow in the 60's.

this is turning into a right old conspiracy thread....

they did bury a tank in the Glen of Imaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

What is a fair price to pay for a vickers with badge and the strapping?

Advertisement