Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 04-05-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hi just wondering if you were granted the 1 year holiday working visa,,,went to aus and stayed 8 months of that visa and came home

are you eligible to go back and use the 4 monthys that are left

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Dont Think so.:( Not unless it was under certain circumstances i.e. a death in the family, and you asked immigration to freeze your visa when leaving the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Four months into my WHV I need to come home for 2weeks but will be going back...there should be no problem re-entering the country yeah?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spinx

No there should be no problem with re-entering once you re-enter within the time frame of your 1 year visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod People no guessing, stick to the facts.
    haydar Your post is wrong, they do not do this at all

You can only re-enter Australia on a WHV within the year, so OP if when you left, was less than 4 months then you can re-enter on a WHV

So have exactly a year on your WHV from when you arrive + 1 year, and that only

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

hi just wondering if you were granted the 1 year holiday working visa,,,went to aus and stayed 8 months of that visa and came home

are you eligible to go back and use the 4 monthys that are left

As Hussey as said, after your visa is granted, the clock starts ticking the date you arrive in Australia. If that's the 1st January 2012, then your one year visa is valid until 31st December 2012. Within that time period, you can travel as much as you like within Australia and outside Australia, returning when you want.

If you leave Australia on 31st August, your remaining four months are still ticking away while you're overseas. If you were to arrive back on 1st November, you would only have until 31st December to remain in the country, even though you'd spent two months outside Australia.

The only way to remain in Australia past the closing date on your WHV is to:
    • Do the requisite rural work to qualify you for a second WHV, and apply for that second WHV before your first one runs out
    • Lodge an application for another kind of visa, e.g temporary spouse visa if you're in a committed relationship with an Australian citizen or resident, or skilled migrant 457 visa
    • Get sponsored by an employer
    If you like the place enough to make a life down here, but can only stay for 8 of the 12 months on your first WHV, my view would be that you need to complete your three months of rural work during your 8 month stay to pave the way for you applying for a second WHV - if you lodge the application for that overseas, you need to remain overseas when the visa is granted.

I think the lodging / location thing is to do with how the visas are activated. Australian visas are granted electronically - holiday travel visas and WHVs don't come with a visa in your passport. (As far as I can remember, you have the option to apply for a visa to go in the passport when you get your spouse visa, but you don't have to have it.)

So you rock up to Dublin Airport to embark on your trip to Australia with your plain old passport and the airline have your visa details linked to your passport details in the system.

When you touch down in Australia, your visa is activated. The date of arrival is day one of the allowable period on the visa.

(I know that the spouse visa is granted with a condition of activation - I got mine in February in London and had to be in Australia by May of the same year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Sorry about that. It happened a friend of mine but his year was up when he tried to go back so apologise again

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

E.E.T wrote: »
    Four months into my WHV I need to come home for 2weeks but will be going back...there should be no problem re-entering the country yeah?!
    That's fine, you can come and go on a WHV, but as mentioned in detail above, the clock keeps ticking

Advertisement