Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the East / Midlands

Options
  • 04-05-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys,

Hope all's well wherever you are. After several years away from our fair green isle, I've returned to do my share to get it back on its feet! Well, that's how it seems with so many people leaving Ireland everyday and it seems I'm the only one coming back here!!

Anyway, thankfully after only a few weeks looking, I've managed to secure a good job in the Portlaoise area. I'm looking to move to that general area but as I've moved back from Sydney you can imagine that I wouldn't be able to handle a tiny country town, but somewhere more built up would suit. I am from a small town originally but I've spent most of my adult life in cities and looking for a slower pace but not snail pace!!

So I've been googling a few areas and I've been looking for a place (to rent for now) in somewhere like Kildare town, Portlaoise, Mullingar, Athlone, or Portarlington. I've never lived, or in fact visited, any of these towns so I have no idea what they have to offer. Without getting too personal, I would appreciate any comments or recommendations on any of the mentioned, or any other suitable town for that matter. I'm looking for nothing more than a 30-45min commute if possible. I'm a 29 year old male who enjoys sports and good food and a drink so bear that in mind too :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MirchMasala

I suggest Kilminchy in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Care to tell the OP why you suggest it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Have relations living near Portarlington "Port" and to be perfectly honest wouldn't touch the place with a barge-pole....no disrespect to anybody from the place but personally I have always found it to be a very depressing town!

Have you considered Kilkenny City or even Cashel in Co Tipp . Both nice bustling places and not hugely affected by "Celtic Tiger Blight" and within an hours drive of PortLaoise.
    http://www.kilkenny.ie/eng/
    http://www.cashel.ie/

Advertisement