Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please HELP!!! where should we move

Options
  • 04-05-2011 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

My husband and I are looking to move to Ireland. We are both Americans but in all honestly we need to get away from everything and have a brand new start and I feel any place in the US won’t give that to use (just the way of life)frown.gif. I know it sounds like a move, running off to Ireland but Ireland is actually something we agree on… but we have NO IDEA where to ever starts looking…we both love the quiet and would love a small town. (Like I mean my perfect place would be a town that has 2 stop lights in it and the second one is brand new). However he is an accountant so we night need to be close to a bigger city so we can have money (let’s be honest everyone needs money) we want to have kids and raise a family so that is important as well…. smile.gif
    I
    Please help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Have you posted your query on other sites or have you a particular reason to choose Meath? Presumably you may have chosen Meath because it is not in Dublin but is still accessible to the city, without having a long commute.

My wife and I are from Dublin but we have lived in Dunshaughlin village (15 miles from Dublin city centre) for the last seven years, and we really like it here. It meets all the criteria you mentioned and the estate we live in is really quiet and peaceful.
    Also, I work in Dublin and with the improved road system, it is a stress-free 40-minute drive.
    Also, six miles from Dunshaughlin in the direction of Dublin, there is a new train service to the city-centre (25 minutes), with free park-and-ride facilitiies.
    Further away from Dublin in the same direction as Dunshaughlin is Navan which is a bigger town with more facilities but also more like a city, which might defeat the purpose of avoiding Dublin.
    Anyway, I hope you get the feed-back you are looking for. Also, it might be interesting to see what others tell you about where they live...good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

My husband and I are looking to move to Ireland. We are both Americans but in all honestly we need to get away from everything and have a brand new start and I feel any place in the US won’t give that to use (just the way of life)frown.gif. I know it sounds like a move, running off to Ireland but Ireland is actually something we agree on… but we have NO IDEA where to ever starts looking…we both love the quiet and would love a small town. (Like I mean my perfect place would be a town that has 2 stop lights in it and the second one is brand new). However he is an accountant so we night need to be close to a bigger city so we can have money (let’s be honest everyone needs money) we want to have kids and raise a family so that is important as well…. smile.gif
    I
    Please help!!!!

Are you sure you want to come to Ireland? Have you read the news reports? Unless you are both guaranteed jobs, I would seriously reconsider.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ireland and am proud to be Irish, but am very angry with the last government and the fact that we'll be paying big taxes for years to come just to pay the banks' corrupt dealings over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

chewed wrote: »
    Are you sure you want to come to Ireland? Have you read the news reports? Unless you are both guaranteed jobs, I would seriously reconsider.

No need to be underselling the country, the doom and gloom is getting pretty tiring at this stage.

I've only 16 months experience in my field and yet I still get job offers at least once every two weeks.

The unskilled, manual labour and apprentice type professions have been badly hit but many other areas are still as strong as before with lots of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DonkyDonk

Didn't you already post looking for advice on moving to Wicklow?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056252104

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Nothing wrong with checking out a few locations.

We are biased here but Trim has a great balance between size of town, historical / beauty of the area, location ref Dublin, great schools and great local clubs in GAA, soccer, drama etc.

PM me if you have a query.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

If you are renting then try www.daft.ie as property rentals vary considerably from one province to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

dixiefly wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with checking out a few locations.

We are biased here but Trim has a great balance between size of town, historical / beauty of the area, location ref Dublin, great schools and great local clubs in GAA, soccer, drama etc.

PM me if you have a query.

+1 on this. Trim is a beautiful town, lovely heritage, nice and peaceful and has almost everything you need and is within easy reach of Dublin, Navan, Blanchardstown (for the shopping centre). As well as that, its nicely positioned between the M4 and M3 motorways, so if you're travelling into Dublin on either road, you miss the tolls on both roads. Road connections out of Trim have been vastly improved in recent years and the roads are generally good quality linking you to Dublin and surrounding towns. Shopping in Trim is quite limited, with little choice, but there are other towns with more options close by.

Lovely country living feel, but everything you need in easy reach, and lots of places of historical interest within an hours drive.

One word of advice though, as has been mentioned on this forum before, if you have medical needs, try and sort out a family GP before you arrive. It appears many people have had trouble getting onto a doctors books when they move to the area, and I've had that experience myself when I moved here 8 years ago. Other than that, I can say only positive things about Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

draffodx wrote: »
    No need to be underselling the country, the doom and gloom is getting pretty tiring at this stage.

I've only 16 months experience in my field and yet I still get job offers at least once every two weeks.

The unskilled, manual labour and apprentice type professions have been badly hit but many other areas are still as strong as before with lots of opportunity.

Hi Archeron, I'm not trying to undersell the country! I just think the that OP needs to be aware that things are going to get worse here before they get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

I agree with dixiefly and archeron, Trim! Its the only place to live, got the best of all worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

chewed wrote: »
    Hi Archeron, I'm not trying to undersell the country! I just think the that OP needs to be aware that things are going to get worse here before they get better.

In the words of Shaggy..... it wasnt me. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement