Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaled/Non scaled fish

Options
  • 04-05-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

What's the story with buying fish - you expect it to be scaled if it's been filleted right? At least five times over the last few years we've bought haddock, hake or trout in Kish, and it's never been scaled. Are they just ignorant there or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,496 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you buy a fillet of fish, it can come with the skin on or off (whatever you agree, I suppose). Either way there shouldn't be any bones left and the scales should always have been removed.

Yours is not the first bad experience I notice here in recent times about Kish. I've never bought from them myself, but this doesn't help me to become their customer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have no idea what sort of store Kish is - but if they have a fishmonger counter, you can buy fish any way you want it. With a proper fishmonger, you can select a whole fish and request it be scaled and gutted, and request the fishmonger takes the head off discards it - like a good butcher, you should be able to get whatever you ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I usually buy butterfly fillets of Haddock and they are never scaled, most of the Gadoid family have small enough scales that they aren't a problem.
    It all adds to the price, if you want skinned they are more expensive again, boned likewise.
    Skinless boneless fillets fall apart very easily as well just a point to be aware of.

Advertisement