Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current System Value

Options
  • 04-05-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Am considering selling my current system to help put together a new system, along the lines of what tea0bag suggest on a previous link ( much thanks of course) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056253701

I just wondered what i could fetch with my current set up.

its a dell dimension 9200/xps410

Service Tag: 66PG23J
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

500gb HD (2*250gb HD in Raid)

SB x-fi extreme music
    1*DVD RW
    1*DVD R
    Multi Card Reader

4gb of ram (4*1gb pc 5300)
    Ati radeon hd 4850 vapour-x 1gb

Of course i think it worth big bucks ;) but i am wondering what u think an acceptable realistic valuation would be. I have seen valuations on Adverts that i think are low and also some that are ambitious at best, 200-300 i was thinking but maybe that is too high also

what do u think?

( Sorry if this post is in the wrong place)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

Hi,

from reading through 100's of ads on adverts.ie, the trend that I see is that it is near impossible to sell a complete computer. Most potential buyers are only interested in the cpu, graphics card, motherboard & ram.

From my experience at adverts, I think you would get the following:
    • cpu e6600 - at most 40 euro (I bought a q6600 for 60e & e7400 for 30e)
    • Graphics card hd 4850- anywhere from 40-65 euro max
    • RAM- 4 x 1gb - 20-30 euro
    • motherboard - unsure, could be hard to sell
    • case - not sure if anyone would want it
    • SB x-fi extreme music - dont know, but -30% from current retail price I reckon
    • dvd drive - 10-15 euro in general
    • Hard drives - not sure but bear in mind a 1th spinpoint f3 is 45 euro, so might be worth keeping.

Now you might be lucky & find a seller for the complete system, the best thing to do is set an asking price, maybe 250 (presuming its just the pc & not the monitor etc.), but be prepared to get 200-ish.

Now if you ask me, you could sell of the graphics card, 2gb's ram & keep the rest for a home server if you could find a use for one, keep the dvd drives, hdd's & SB x-fi for your new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

thanks dkmedia, appreciate the comments, thanks for the breakdown on the parts, overall its about the value i was thinking so not too far off

whether to sell or canabalise some parts for my new build plans is the question now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd part the system out, personally. You stand a much better chance making some money that way. Lately, things over €300 or so haven't been selling well or at all on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I find adverts.ie is for very quick sales, but you have to sell it for prac nothing, because people there
    are far too hawkish - great place to buy bad place to sell

You'll get a bit more money on ebay, should be around 250ish if you have a good clear picture, and detail every part correctly, age of PC, etc. Ebay can be safeguarded too, by setting a reserve of 250, and explaining in the ad that you would consider selling to highest bidder even if it doesn't reach desired reserve

The third way, to get even higher, is to sell it on a site like buyandsell or gumtree.ie - people are much less knowledgeable there and an XPS for 300 might seem like an absolutely bargain to them

So adverts to get rid of it quickly, but rock bottom sales price
    Ebay for what its worth
    and gumtree/buyandsell if you want to risk to get a bit more

Actually this was quite a few years ago, but I bought a system from adverts, people were really haggling, they wouldn't buy the full system as it didn't have a very good graphics card - I could tell the guy didn't want to split, so I offered 300, he took it. I sold it for 550 on buyandsell within 2 days. The full setup was worth 700 to 750. No one got done, but its incredible how hard people on adverts push (because of the comment system)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

I'd avoid ebay because of the costs involved.

There is an insertion fee - reasonable.
    Final value fee - up to 10% - unreasonable
    Paypal fee - think around 3%? - not too bad
    Shipping fee - expensive for a desktop I would imagine

I sold some stuff on ebay lately & I ended up paying a lot in fees, I made it out as about 13% of the total selling price was fee's. Basically on the surface ebay seems great, until you see how much of your sales end up being fee's owed to ebay.

I still think that you should try adverts & see what people are willing to pay - it'll cost you nothing & you don't have to accept any offer you don't deem fair.

Another thing you could do is ask your friends if they know anybody looking for a computer, and let them know it is suitable for a bit of gaming. You'd be surprised at the amount of times that I end up selling things to friends & family who happened to be looking for what I was selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

dkmedia wrote: »
    I'd avoid ebay because of the costs involved.

There is an insertion fee - reasonable.
    Final value fee - up to 10% - unreasonable
    Paypal fee - think around 3%? - not too bad
    Shipping fee - expensive for a desktop I would imagine

I sold some stuff on ebay lately & I ended up paying a lot in fees, I made it out as about 13% of the total selling price was fee's. Basically on the surface ebay seems great, until you see how much of your sales end up being fee's owed to ebay.

I still think that you should try adverts & see what people are willing to pay - it'll cost you nothing & you don't have to accept any offer you don't deem fair.

Another thing you could do is ask your friends if they know anybody looking for a computer, and let them know it is suitable for a bit of gaming. You'd be surprised at the amount of times that I end up selling things to friends & family who happened to be looking for what I was selling.

Thats true for smaller things, but large things I disagree

Adverts is terrible for selling, I bought and sold PC's for many years, I just found that people there are too fussy and too hawkish .. you'll pretty much get rock bottom for what you are selling

Ebay is the average, you reach a much large audience.. but you have to do it right, the sale has to finish in the evening, etc, etc.. the first PC i sold there i lost a few hundred on because my ad was so bad

Last but not least, the best, at the time, was buyandsell, folks there would pay much more, generally due to being less techie, less price savvy and no chance to really haggle

Advertisement