Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helix - scared!!

Options
  • 04-05-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

So I've been dying to get either my helix or tragus pierced for ages notw but have decided I'm too squeamish for the tragus. I've heard a lot of bad things about getting the helix pierced and how long it takes to heal and how painful it is etc. But I got a bellbar near the cartilage but not quite, a year ago and it's only properly healed in the last few months so I can see why it might take so long... To be honest I'm crapping a brick but really wanna get it done!! I'd prob go wildcat. Any1 any advice or reassuring comments?! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It will hurt alot. Seriously. Probably the most excruciating piercing I've got done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Helix will hurt, but it looks cool after all the healing.
    My tragus was probably one of my easiest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Helix was my first piercing, light pinch, that's it. Might ache a bit after but you'll be fine, just go for it. look after it properly and you'll have no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Mine got infected a load of times but that might have been the putting on and taking off of my motorbike lid. Getting it done was only a small pinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

They're both grand OP. I've had both done for years, it's bit sore getting them done but not unbearable, I wouldn't let the fear of pain put you off, they're both worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Tragus and helix feel pretty much the same as they're both cartilage piercings. Same healing times and aftercare apply to both. Just with the tragus you'll need to not wear earphones while it's healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

Did my helix myself a few years back don't remember it being particularly painful at all. Healing time was extensive however....gotta make sure you have a good material for your bar or ring or whatever.

Glass, stone, surgical steel, titanium, porcelain and PTFE are all good

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did my helix myself a few years back don't remember it being particularly painful at all. Healing time was extensive however....gotta make sure you have a good material for your bar or ring or whatever.

Glass, stone, surgical steel, titanium, porcelain and PTFE are all good

AFAIK, stone/porcelain wouldn't be the best for an un-healed piercing as they can be porous (correct me if I'm wrong!)
    Titanium is usually the best bet for healing a fresh piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

they are much the same in terms of healing time and pain. both are fab tho.

got my tragus done about a month ago. was doing so well til i was cleaning it the other day. bit of crusty was well stuck so i tugged a little, and set myself to bleeding!!! CLEVER!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Correct damo. Best stick with the titanium for a fresh piercing.

Hdowney, just keep on with the aftercare and you should be fine. If a crusty doesnt want to come off then leave it for a day or so. Then try gently remove it after your sea salt soak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

It will hurt alot. Seriously. Probably the most excruciating piercing I've got done

meh, i got it done wednesday and it was the same as my eyebrow. not much more painful at all. just a little pinch and its over and done wit, no more pain. although if you bang it of anything it is quite painful.

worth it op :D but dont get the side you sleep on done during exams:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nearly wet meself a few days ago. Talking to my mother and noticed she had it done lol. She thought it was lovely on me so got it hersellf. Cool 61 year old lol

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Out of pure curiosity I started reading this thread and had to google image "helix" and "tragus"- and it turns out I actually have my feckin helix pierced! I never knew it had a name- I got it done about 12 years ago and just asked for the top of my ear pierced. Doh!

I haven't a clue about piercings (clearly!) but for some reason when I was in school I just wanted one kind of "different" piercing so I went for that one cos it was slightly different without being very "out there". Don't remember it being particularly painful (and I'm not a fan of needles so it can't have been that bad) and it never got infected.

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Taz1

So I finally got it done there 2 weeks ago & it was actually grand!! I got the lower part of my ear (not lobe) pierced last year and the piercer this time told me that that is cartilage too, so turns out I had already got a cartilage piercing unknownst to myself! It was no big deal, seems to be healing nicely, and is only sore if I bang off it! One annoying thing about it is that I can't go swimming while it heals :/ & I just recently joined the gym.... I have it two weeks now, so i might chance my arm and wear one of those silicone swimmign hats to help keep the water away from it, and obviously clean it before & after!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Taz1 wrote: »
    So I finally got it done there 2 weeks ago & it was actually grand!! I got the lower part of my ear (not lobe) pierced last year and the piercer this time told me that that is cartilage too, so turns out I had already got a cartilage piercing unknownst to myself! It was no big deal, seems to be healing nicely, and is only sore if I bang off it! One annoying thing about it is that I can't go swimming while it heals :/ & I just recently joined the gym.... I have it two weeks now, so i might chance my arm and wear one of those silicone swimmign hats to help keep the water away from it, and obviously clean it before & after!

that tight hat may hurt since it will be pressing the piercing against your head. could aggravate it too

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Taz1

garv123 wrote: »
    that tight hat may hurt since it will be pressing the piercing against your head. could aggravate it too

ya I was thinkin that but I'm gonna get one and try it anyway - its almost 3 weeks since I got in done, its gettin better every day!

Advertisement