Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWI Memorium Plaque

Options
  • 04-05-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

You've probably all seen a ton of these but i thought i would throw it up anyway because i think its quite a beautiful piece.

Its a WWI plaque of my mums partner's great uncle who died at Ypres. Really dont know anything about these but i was amazed by the style of it, amazing to look at up close.

picture.php?albumid=761&pictureid=9432

picture.php?albumid=761&pictureid=9433

This has been sitting in a drawer for years from family shame. I can understand that those feelings run very deep but its sad to think that this is one of the few things to say that this man died bravely in a muddy, bloody, body strewn field in Belgium and thats where he is to this day and the commemoration of that final moment has just been kept out of sight.

Anyways, as i said, these are probably pretty common but i just thought you all might like a look at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

I have never seen a version like that before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    I have never seen a version like that before

In what sense out of curiosity? I mean i know nothing about these but it seems quite elaborate to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

dr gonzo wrote: »
    In what sense out of curiosity? I mean i know nothing about these but it seems quite elaborate to me.

If you scroll down the page you will see an image of the official memorial

scroll which was issued to the next-of-kin along with the memorial/death

plaque.

The one you have shown could have been privately bought

(but don't quote me on that:D)

http://www.grahamtall.co.uk/family_history/Medals%20Page%201.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That is very interesting. If you post it up in the WWI forum someone may be able to come back with more information about exactly where he was and the dates etc.

hmm, i'd be surprised if it was purchased.

I also came across this: http://www.carlscam.com/warmem/anderton.htm

Theres an identical example near the end of the page so i would imagine theres some sort of official nature to it though it seems weird that they didnt get the version you linked to.

Edit: Cheers Morlar, ill do that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

This is very nice memorial plague to have!

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Name: Albert Smythe[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Birth Place: Old Leighlin, Co.Carlow[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Recidence: Rathdrum, Co.Wicklow[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Death Date: 1st November 1914[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Death Location: France & Flanders[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Enlistment Location: Carlow[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rank: Private[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Regiment: Irish Guards[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Battalion: 1st Battalions[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Number: 4480[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Type of Casualty: Killed in Action[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Theatre of War: Western European Theatre[/FONT]

His medal index card

1823978521ae71_l.jpg

Ireland's Memorial Records 1914-1918

18239799819ca7_l.jpg

There may be a small chance to find his service records as well from NA.

Holy sh1t. wow, that is impressive information gathering!

Thanks so much for that Phaethon! I did not expect anyone to be able find that stuff so easily.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1st Irish Guards: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]August 1914 was in Aldershot. Part of 4th (Guards) Brigade, 2nd Division. The division's commander at this point was Major General Charles Monro. The division took part in the long retreat from Mons, and suffered heavy casualties in the First Battle of Ypres.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The 1st Battalion suffered huge casualties between November 1–8 holding the line against near defeat by German forces, while defending Klein Zillebeke, with No. 3 Company being blown to pieces on November 1 and No 1 Company being caught in the open after a French retreat on November 6 exposed their flank, ensuring that at the end of the day "the greater part of them were missing".[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]By the end of 'First Ypres' on the 22 November, the battalion had suffered over 700 casualties. The 2nd Division suffered 5,769 officers and men killed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Casualty Details[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Name: SMYTHE, ALBERT EDWARD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Initials: AE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rank: Private[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Regiment/Service: Irish Guards[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Unit Text: 1st Bn.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Age: 18[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Date of Death: 01/11/1914[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Service No: 4480[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Additional information: Son of Edward Henry and Esther Hamilton Smythe, of Knockbawn, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow. One of five sons who served in the Great War.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 11.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Memorial: Ypres (Menin Gate) memorial[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Something strange with his age but regimental number confirms that it's the same man.[/FONT]

Thats the gate, where is as well Pte. Smythe's name engraved.

18239825793253_o.jpg

Wow, great info, thanks for this. One question as you seem to know your way around these records, is there anyway to find out about the five brothers. Obviously they were all family too but i just had a chat with the step-aul lad and he hasnt a clue about those ones.

All he knows is that none of the others were killed and one of them was a captain by the time he left the army... Thats probably really vague info, im just checking because im curious myself but i havent the foggiest where to start with this stuff.

Cheers again for all that info.

There is always more (free) information available for casualties.

http://www.cwgc.org/ (free to use)

If you don't know their full names, try to find them on Ireland 1901/1911 Census first:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (free to use)

If you have names, then you should find their Medal Index Cards or if you are lucky, even service records. If names are common, then knowing which regiment they served is important. Even better if you know their regimental numbers. Officer's are more tricky ones - they didn't received medals automaticly.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/default.aspx?cat=39 (free trial period)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ (you have to pay but you can use research in order to spot first name free - better results then ancestry)

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/home.jsp (you have to buy "credit". I am not so familiar with that but as far I know should be better pre 1914 roles)

Best of luck!

Timo aka Phaethon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

You've probably all seen a ton of these but i thought i would throw it up anyway because i think its quite a beautiful piece.

1st one I have ever seen!

The certificate pictured in this tread is unofficial, as in the Army had nothing to do with issuing it. My guess is that A.E. Smythe was living in Anderton, Cheshire before the War. After the War these certificates where probably sent to the relative's of soldiers who didn't come home from the Parish.

Also Albert is commemorated on this memorial in Carlow http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/showMemorial.php?show=218 (click PDF for list of names)

Attached is a (bad quality) picture of Albert in his Irish Guards uniform.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Advertisement