Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Im pretty sure our friend in laon was under that tonight. another gigantic storm over france, wow.

NA , unfortunately he had to be more closer to the coast, he said theres only rain there... cant believe he missed out on that kind of storm by a few hours.

I sent him the Satellite pic of it.... he wasnt impressed ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hopefully Peter got to see some of those!

He'll be lucky to come out alive, the excitement might do him in. Bloody hell belgium and the Netherlands are completely covered. Would there be any webcams from over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

lolie wrote: »
    He'll be lucky to come out alive, the excitement might do him in. Bloody hell belgium and the Netherlands are completely covered. Would there be any webcams from over there?

Wow... the way those storms developed through the evening on sat 24 was amazing... Could you just imagine the excitement on this forum if anything close to that passed over us:D

Whats the red rings appearing on the advanced imaged for 00.00 ?

ROTATION ??! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

ALERT for severe storm potential in Monaghan, Cavan and south Fermanagh, spreading to Armagh, Down and Louth, now to 2030h. Risk of hail, local downpours and intense lightning. Watch for possible small tornado development with this cluster (very slight risk there).

(from me at the Boards weather forum ... will be posting to forecast thread)

Two strikes of lightning were picked up over South West Fermanagh this evening at approx 17.20 or so, other than that there was little else other than some very heavy rain and also some visible cloud formations taking place at rapid speed (visible signs of moisture evaporating from the ground, and quickly turning to cloud as it rose and forming into dark clouds, an interesting sight to watch.

Any ideas what may have caused this localised event? It appeared to originate over Co Leitrim, and intensify over Fermanagh & Cavan before dissipating over Co Monaghan and Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

jimmynokia wrote: »

Bring it on bring on

I want some of the optimism drugs you're on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wildhandlin, thanks for the report, can't really say why a more intense storm would form there than any other place in Ireland today, when we get down to this sort of scale the process appears fairly random or "hit and miss" hence the standard forecast terminology of scattered showers. I expect one or two similar cells later today, we'll have to keep an eye on the radar and see what looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Thunderstorms forecast on news on radio this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Some nice convection building up so might get lucky today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

lolie wrote: »
    Some nice convection building up so might get lucky today.

Noticed that myself this morning as i dropped the young lad off to school so lets hope so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Massive dark grey clouds passing over Collooney at present. They are travelling slow but steady. No major movement within the clouds themselves so does that mean there is no convection or does the fact that they are travelling mean that its convection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Showers are now making their way east of the Shannon now and could be quite heavy even in eastern areas later which I find incredible considering air pressure is as high as 1024hpa over the country. Yes, I know all about convection but I thought the atmosphere would be stable with pressure relatively high?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

eskimocat wrote: »
    Massive dark grey clouds passing over Collooney at present. They are travelling slow but steady. No major movement within the clouds themselves so does that mean there is no convection or does the fact that they are travelling mean that its convection?

""Convection" has several, related meanings in weather....but it always involves rising air. It usually refers to "moist convection", where the excess water vapor in rising air parcels condenses to form a cloud.

The heat released through this condensation can help to sustain the convection by warming the air further and making it rise still higher, which causes more water vapor to condense, so the process feeds on itself.."

165159.gif

Convection as seen from my house yesterday

165157.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Thanks Redsteve, that was a great explanation! Especially with pics :D

In that case what I was talking about earlier was massive convection! The clouds were building and building. A bit more stratus now and just light grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

convection = rain/showers as we all know but downpours like today with pressure high is most unusual. :confused:

convection = rain/showers as we all know but downpours like today with pressure high is most unusual. :confused:

They are being produced by the occluded front thats passing through. :)

FSXX00T_00.jpg

lots of dark clouds lingering over dublin now and more heading in

Ye here is a pic i got when i was walking the dog.

A great example of Stratocumulus :)

165212.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Conditions look good for more thundery showers from Tuesday on until next weekend. The eastern half of the country should fare best again, as was the case in June also. 500 hPa temps down around -25 °C again, and enough low level heating and moisture.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Conditions look good for more thundery showers from Tuesday on until next weekend. The eastern half of the country should fare best again, as was the case in June also. 500 hPa temps down around -25 °C again, and enough low level heating and moisture.

... My Storm Magnet must be a workings! :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Su Campu wrote: »

When are the east going to return the favour? All those thunderstorms are born in the west!

WOuld be fun if this storm came back to visit! :) ....

These lads sure got a fright! ha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yet again it looks like the west is going to miss out this week. Thunder in the west at this time of year nearly always depends on the low pressure trough being south or southwest of Connacht allowing showers to gain some strength overland during the day. GFS has this in latest run on Wednesday with some middling cape values in the midlands that may be of benefit to us west of the Shannon but I won't hold my breath just yet.

ukcapeli.png
    Very disappointing summer for thunderstorms this side of the country so far and smacks just a little too much of last year. Even if the above does materialize, storms are likely to be of the weak variety. Polar maritime storms are cack. We more than deserve some proper big mama Biscay type jobs at this stage and hopefully mother nature will redress this unbalance before this tripe summer is over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its all to do with the prevailing airflow DE - the reasons this summer has been so poor for heat(for all:() and T-Storms in the West is that we've been stuck in a W/NW airflow since the start of May due to continuous Northern blocking over Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Just looking at the wind direction charts, i know for a fact that i wont be seeing any storms this week apart maybe from friday:mad:

for the weather fans tornado road now on discovery channell plenty of lightning:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Violent downpour of rain in Tuam at the moment. Current rate 96.3mm/ph. Lights on dark out there!

Edit: stopped. 5 min total of 3.4mm. Not bad!

jimmynokia wrote: »
    for the weather fans tornado road now on discovery channell plenty of lightning:D

Such a let down that was... footage was over 3 years old!, and they wer using maps instead of the computer! ha

The father and daughter wer so amatuer looking! ha....

ANd the other lads.... who goes into a rain core when theres a chance of a tornado in it?.... Thats how people die...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well i'm glad i missed that now. i'm waiting for the real deal. storm chasers coming in autumn and i can't wait!!!!!:D

btw, down in youghal, one heavy and i mean heavy shower this morning and nothing since, the sun is splitting the stones and up the road in cork, it's lashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Violent downpour of rain in Tuam at the moment. Current rate 96.3mm/ph. Lights on dark out there!

Edit: stopped. 5 min total of 3.4mm. Not bad!

That was a good test for the new rainfall radar so. That shower in Tuam showed up as red on the old radar (so >8mm/hr) but didnt show up as anything heavier than 4mm/hr on the new one. So the new one isnt more accurate, at the moment anyway.
    We will hopefully get heavier showers as the day goes on?

Advertisement