Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭John mac

Im 25 km north west of knock airport. sun shining here all day not a drop of rain. :D
    lovely black clouds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Harps wrote: »
    Lots of strikes along that band somewhere between Enniskillen and Sligo, nothing but rain here all day unfortunately

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

there were some of the cork coast as well this afternoon. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Some activity over the Irish Sea to the east of Dublin now, I wouldn't be surprised to see flashes from that direction soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

If your in the southern and half of the country and looking for storms, today finally is the day and really much of the rest of the country is also at risk. I really do have a good feeling about today.

166299.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    If your in the southern and half of the country and looking for storms, today finally is the day and really much of the rest of the country is also at risk. I really do have a good feeling about today.

166299.png

Looking good finally for Waterford maybe. I can't remember the last time we had thunder and lightning. Just started raining heavily as i type :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

One hell of a downpour here in Waterford City. 5mm of rain fell in 15mins with a max rainfall rate of 100.2mm/ph :eek:

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strangely dry here today. Just overcast with one light shower all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I would say between 2-7pm is going to be prime time for the storms today, especially in the south-east. Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wicklow most at risk for that time.

thunderstorms are coming to cork, soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sunbabe08, are you still in Youghal for this post?

gbee wrote: »
    Sunbabe08, are you still in Youghal for this post?

:( no i'm in the city. there looks to be some heavy showers in that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Very heavy and persistant rain now in Lucan/Dublin West, am waiting for the bang...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very heavy and persistant rain now in Lucan/Dublin West, am waiting for the bang...

Got that 'deluge' here. 12.6mm in 45 minutes! Stopped now. No bang!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Got that 'deluge' here. 12.6mm in 45 minutes! Stopped now. No bang!

Has just eased off a bit here now, haven't given up yet for the auld rattle!

Just wondering, is there a standard sized container used for measuring rainfall???

Has picked back up again, absolutely bucketing down here in Lucan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just wondering, is there a standard sized container used for measuring rainfall???

I have a weather station. If you get any sort of a container/jar, as long as it has straight sides, has an opening of the same width and has a flat bottom, with a ruler you can pretty much accuratley measure the rainfall. If you google rain gauges, you can also pick up one pretty cheaply.

Couple of sparks now in the last half hour or so. One Waterford direction and one Westmeath/Longfor direction. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential rain here now Galway City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thunder and lightning around 4 in kiltullagh east Galway. Electricity gone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Had a few rumbles here in Portlaoise in the past 15 minutes or so. The sky off to the west and south is very dark looking but I don't think it's coming any closer.

Storm 10 wrote: »

Yeah I drove through that on the way in to work. It's crazy when the road turns to a river and you can't see sh#t. Made a video, will see how it came out later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Yeah I drove through that on the way in to work. It's crazy when the road turns to a river and you can't see sh#t. Made a video, will see how it came out later.

It's interesting just how localised those showers are. Here in the west side of town there's been nothing more than a few moderately heavy showers. I've only recorded a total of 3.3mm since midnight.
    The sky looked far more dramatic to the South and East of town

Looking forward to the video Redsteve ! :D

EDIT:

The Netweather rainfall accumulation map for the last few hours shows the localisation very well. I had to reduce the opacity of the rainfall overlay so you could see the map underneath so the colours don't quite match the scale but you get the general idea

acc-1.jpg

Edinburgh got hammered this afternoon with a massive storm that lasted 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Really thought today was going to be good but alas didn't really kick off.... With a bit more heat from the sun it could have been epic:(

any updates?:mad:

There was a torrential downpour in Tramore around 5.45pm and the Max Rainfall Rate was 217.4mm/ph :eek: Wasn't there myself but a guy i know said it was just unreal rain.

weather boring in dublin come on something happen.

• Advertisement

What a waste :(

166403.gif

Advertisement