Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I love the way the rain water receeds after the storm, unlike here :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

What a waste :(

166403.gif

i thought the same when i spotted it yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Funnel Cloud photographed near Wexford today (it's on facebook).
    Take a look here
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001236189497

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

jd wrote: »
    Funnel Cloud p hotographed near Wexford today (it's on facebook).
    Take a look here
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001236189497

Thats just a link to the Facebook page? Couldn't see the image.

Thats just a link to the Facebook page? Couldn't see the image.
    It's there on the wall-this may work http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=161208930617037&set=t.100001236189497&type=1&theater -I'm not going to take the pic and host it on my on site..
    It'll probably be on IWO soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

still linked to facebook home page..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A lone strike off the south coast this morning

sf_na_1d-1.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fionagus wrote: »
    A lone strike off the south coast this morning

Probaly an old fella on the way to mass on his Honda 50! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Probaly an old fella on the way to mass on his Honda 50! :)

Most likely!! :D:D:D:D

It's a slow weather day - that lonely strike was the best I could come up with !

John mac wrote: »
    still linked to facebook home page..
    look like you have to be logged in/"like" that page

• Advertisement

Right click the image and click 'save as' to your desktop. Then host it with imageshack.us. We might then get to see this pic.:rolleyes:

Hal1 wrote: »
    Right click the image and click 'save as' to your desktop. Then host it with imageshack.us. We might then get to see this pic.:rolleyes:
    It's not my pic , I'm not going to nick it...
    I don't need the benefit of your ECDL course either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I just saw a fairly impressive funnel in the Wexford town direction at about 12.30 today. Lasted for a good 15 minutes, no camera with me though unfortunately:(

Anybody else in the area get a pic of it?

jd wrote: »
    It's not my pic , I'm not going to nick it...
    I don't need the benefit of your ECDL course either :)

Or

THIS IS NOT MY PICTURE, I COPIED IT OFF THE FACEBOOK PAGE SO THAT PEOPLE ON HERE COULD SEE IT, YESTERDAYS FUNNEL IN KILMORE: 166541.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There was another funnel in Wexford today http://www.irishweatheronline.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Su Campu wrote: »

that looks like the same one from yesterday

Was that around 12.30 Su? If so I saw it, see my post above :) And yes it was rotating.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Just found this video i shot in '09 of a rotating wall cloud shot from my house in Kildare.
    Towards the end you can see a nice funnel forming.

Hope you enjoy. (HD available)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jUCRPr6B4&feature=player_profilepage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Was that around 12.30 Su? If so I saw it, see my post above :) And yes it was rotating.
    Yes, the observer said it was around 12:10, so there or thereabouts. Nice one...

Yes, the observer said it was around 12:10, so there or thereabouts. Nice one...

Yea thats it, I would guess it was overhead wexford town or around there? 4 funnel sightings in as many summers for me:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Just found this video i shot in '09 of a rotating wall cloud shot from my house in Kildare.

Seems like decent rotation for Kildare :P

Did it produce anything in the end??

Few small funnels. Lots of hail but no sparks. It was late in the evening on the 31 Oct 2009 at about 7.30. It can be seen developing on the sat24 image archives.
    It was a fairly dramatic sight as it passed over the house.

This image was taken as it moved out to the front of the house

573CB812AB1C48B7A15EA863A0D37FAE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Dont mean to be rude but its not really rotation, its more of a Back building wall cloud... fast forwarding it u can see it better... Still a great clip though! :)

At the start of the video clip you can see the whole wall cloud. If you look at the left hand side and right hand side of the wall cloud you can see slight rotation all the way up the wall.
    In the video at the start the focus area is directly over Naas and a member from another forum reported that is was indeed rotating.

Stuart Robinson contacted me from UKww and he agreed that it wouldn't have looked out of place in the great plains.

I chose to focus on one particular area of the wall cloud which had the greatest movement.
    This area produces a small condense funnel at about 5.40.

I'll look through my videos again and see if i can find the clip as it passed directly overhead.

Admittedly the cell did not have rapid rotation but it had some and as far as storm cells go in Ireland it was amazing to see and gave me a buzz for many hours afterwards.

As promised this video is the wallcloud as it passed over the house. Some left to right rotation from the front of the lowering and right to left from the back is visible.
    Its not a huge amount of rotation and Ian is correct in the sense thats its not a rotating wallcloud that you'd see in tandem with a supercell.
    Its simply a wallcloud formed from skud thats rotating slightly.

At the time there was minimal CAPE and LI was just about negative but we had high DP's.
    There was decent LL shear and DL Shear so we put the cell down to moisture convergance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLg2OAJVsK8&feature=player_profilepage

Sorry don't know how to embed videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just paste in the mess that follows the watch?v= part of the video url into the youtube tag (option on top of posting box)

I.E:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLg2OAJVsK8&feature=player_profilepage

Nice cloud captures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A couple of strikes off the coast of Kerry, moving east by the looks of things on sat24.

166805.gif

edit: I think it's actually moving west

The nearest one looks about 300 miles off the coast. Sure it would have well fizzled out by the time it got near us :rolleyes:. I reakon Friday or Saturday will be the storm days.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Hi, This is my first post here in the weather forum. I don't follow the weather much. However, yesterday (8:00pm ish) evening I saw what appeared to be a funnel forming over the Blarney/North Cork city region. There was a thundery cloud bank with a clearer sky behind it. It was extremely humid at the time. The funnel lasted about 5 minutes before it disappeared. It would dissipate a little and then reform. The humidity noticably dropped within 5 minutes. As well as the picture I have attached I have a video clip. I will post this later.
    12Jul2011#5628371413122389378
    table%3EP1020859.JPG

• Advertisement

stwome01 wrote: »
    Hi, This is my first post here in the weather forum. I don't follow the weather much. However, yesterday (8:00pm ish) evening I saw what appeared to be a funnel forming over the Blarney/North Cork city region. There was a thundery cloud bank with a clearer sky behind it. It was extremely humid at the time. The funnel lasted about 5 minutes before it disappeared. It would dissipate a little and then reform. The humidity noticably dropped within 5 minutes. As well as the picture I have attached I have a video clip. I will post this later.
    table%3EP1020859.JPG

Fantastic capture, the country seems to be crawling with funnels the last few days. :)

Advertisement