Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Concur, nothing, we did get some brief heavy showers of approx 3mm each.

169918.gif

One is so close we should have heard something. Another site confirms strike detection.

This is a screen grab I snatched 11 of them as the 'storm' was approaching. So I was watching and listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Met E also has lightning data

I have found this bang on for my location

In my experience, I don't hear thunder outside from further than about 8 miles (40 seconds beyween flash and thunder) and unlikely to see isolated flashes during day unless looking at it. If you're inside, well shortened the distance and even less chance of seeing lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

according to this, there was flashes of lightening between 12 and 3 o clock yesterday in the south east, not once did i see any lightening or hear any thunder. :confused:

There was a massive clap of thunder (the loudest I've ever heard, I thought we were being shot :P) & lightning yesterday around 3pm in Greystones. It hit a transformer on the ESB pole outside on the road & knocked the power out. Scared the wits out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

gbee wrote: »
    Concur, nothing, we did get some brief heavy showers of approx 3mm each.

169918.gif

One is so close we should have heard something. Another site confirms strike detection.

This is a screen grab I snatched 11 of them as the 'storm' was approaching. So I was watching and listening.

i was as well. we had a thunder shower for a good half hou here in youghal, and no thunder or lightening. :(

Just read on RSOE that Amazon and Microsoft Ireland were hit by lightning strikes today.

A lightning strike has resulted in power outages at data centres belonging to Microsoft and Amazon, leading to disruption for users of Amazon's EC2 cloud computing platform and Microsoft’s Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS). According to the Data Center Knowledge website, Amazon reported lightning struck a transformer close to its data centre, with an explosion and fire that put the utility service of of action. On its health service dashboard, Amazon reported: "Due to the scale of the power disruption, a large number of EBS servers lost power and require manual operations before volumes can be restored. Restoring these volumes requires that we make an extra copy of all data, which has consumed most spare capacity and slowed our recovery process." On its Twitter feed, Microsoft said its BPOS services were now coming back online for customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Jake1 wrote: »
    Just read on RSOE that Amazon and Microsoft Ireland were hit by lightning strikes today.

A lightning strike has resulted in power outages at data centres belonging to Microsoft and Amazon, leading to disruption for users of Amazon's EC2 cloud computing platform and Microsoft’s Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS). According to the Data Center Knowledge website, Amazon reported lightning struck a transformer close to its data centre, with an explosion and fire that put the utility service of of action. On its health service dashboard, Amazon reported: "Due to the scale of the power disruption, a large number of EBS servers lost power and require manual operations before volumes can be restored. Restoring these volumes requires that we make an extra copy of all data, which has consumed most spare capacity and slowed our recovery process." On its Twitter feed, Microsoft said its BPOS services were now coming back online for customers.

this might have been the reason adverts was down they tweeted something about amazon

adverts_ie Adverts.ie
    The technical issue we're experiencing is coming from one of the Amazon data servers. We hope to be back online soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heres my time-lapse from yesterday, didnt turn out so good considering the cell just stalled over central dublin . But ye , think i got 2 partial funnel clouds ...not the best like recent photos from galway and Donegal but ye... its something.

:)

must start taking some pics when im on the road i see these funnel clouds quite a bit,never thought much of them but they seem to be the talk lately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thunder and Lightning here at the moment in Donegal. Electricity went off earlier.
    Intermittent Torrential downpours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Same here Pangea. Heavy rain. Thunder and lightening.

• Advertisement

send it on to dub lads lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

First thunder of the year here ! Loud, long and most excellent. Rain/hail also at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

As usual I havent heard any thunder but plenty of torrential downpours here and the lights have blinked a few times so there must be something nearby, hard to hear anything though once the rain gets going, heaviest I've seen all summer

Has anyone got a link to a good lightening radar?
    I wonder are they accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Some heavy rain in Cork around 8pm, seem like the kinda conditions where you'd see a few flashes but nothing. Heard a gunshot when it finished, nothing on thunder though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Pangea wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to a good lightening radar?
    I wonder are they accurate.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Don't know how accurate they are.

Seems pretty accurate those reds dots on NW Coast is around my area and we had a good few bangs of thunder and lightening so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Two big loud long claps of thundef in Ennis over the past half hour. First time i have heard thunder since moving here almost four years ago:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

thunder and power flickering in limerick! no visible flashes though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

north west clare - thunder and lightning = though hard to hear the thunder over the noise of the wind:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

RoisinD wrote: »
    north west clare - thunder and lightning = though hard to hear the thunder over the noise of the wind:)

massive rumble here in longford just the one so far ! no lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Near torrential rain for the last hour and a half, with the odd clap of thunder. I guess the rain must have been at this intensity for a solid day or more back during the flooding in November 2009.

yup. and then some. that rain was scary i have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    yup. and then some. that rain was scary i have to say.

i was out of the country at the time:( i couldn't believe the scenes when i came back the day after it stopped.

Near torrential rain for the last hour and a half, with the odd clap of thunder. .

I would of liked to of had a rain gauge here all day, extreme rain amounts today :eek:

i was out of the country at the time:( i couldn't believe the scenes when i came back the day after it stopped.

couldnt believe it ether. trying to get home after work was interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

davehey79 wrote: »
    massive rumble here in longford just the one so far ! no lightning

Lightning strike and huge rumble of thunder within 2 seconds here in Longford.
    Sat dish not receiving signal and telephone line went out for five mins. Very heavy rain

lightening strike no 1 and 2 5 seconds later rumble of thunder here in youghal. excellent.

:D:D

and another one. well i'm happy with that. bring on the snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent thunder/rain on the the 0000 Met reports for Shannon and 8.0mm's of rain at Knock.

Advertisement